OHRRPGCE's Top 10 Games (1995-2021)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

OHRRPGCE's Top 10 Games (1995-2021)

Post by RMZ »

So with the Youtube and Twitch channel happening, it's probably a good idea to keep creating content to promote the great work our community is known for. I pitched this idea in Discord the other day and people seemed to gravitate towards it. Just about anybody will watch a Top 10 of something. Let's do a Top 10 Greatest OHR Games list.

We've already got Baconlabs set to do it in the back half of the year.

How it'll work? Everybody nominate what you think are the top 10-20 best games the engine has ever made. It can be based on nostalgia if you want. Bacon will give each game that gets 3+ nominations a fresh play through for the year and he alone will be scoring and ranking them all together.

I think Bacon has shown everybody how much he cares about our community based on the level of commitment he did to the Heart of the OHR. He's also not an active dev and doesn't show favorites. If we had Spoonweaver do this list, all of his games would be at the top and really, only Cat in Box needs to be. Bacon would be encouraged to show off as many honorable mentions for the video as he saw fit. It's super easy to let nostalgia dictate whether something actually is great or not. Is Monterey Penguin as good as we remember it? It's likely not awful, but the bonus points of nostalgia shouldn't carry it to a Best Of List if better games outrank it.

Since Bacon said he'd be free back half of the year, let's try to nominate games for the next few months so he can be ready whenever he chooses to. I'll let him post the deadline for nominations so that it works for his schedule.

The ultimate goal for this is... we make the Top 10 Best Of. Then every year that has 10 or more new releases (not game updates) we can keep it going. Hopefully content like this can drive new users to our community and new players to our games.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Re: OHRRPGCE's Top 10 Games (1995-2021)

Post by Spoonweaver »

RMZ wrote:If we had Spoonweaver do this list, all of his games would be at the top and really, only Cat in Box needs to be.
I'd argue if it wasn't accurate.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

This thread of the Top 30 voting two years ago might be useful:

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Also the wiki table with previous winners of votings:

https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Top_30

Recapping the 2019 OHR game elections, there were 10 voters, which led to 21 games being mentioned 3 or more times. However, there were more games allowed to be voted on by each voter.
Prifurin
Red Slime

Post by Prifurin »

Can we also make Top 10 Most Ridiculous OHR games?
Easily could be Top 100 though
eight days a week
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Bird wrote:This thread of the Top 30 voting two years ago might be useful:

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Also the wiki table with previous winners of votings:

https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Top_30

Recapping the 2019 OHR game elections, there were 10 voters, which led to 21 games being mentioned 3 or more times. However, there were more games allowed to be voted on by each voter.
Additionally, this page has a lot of old game lists, for those who're up for digging:
https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... d_games%3F [spoiler]Sword of Jade is nowhere to be found, unfortunately.[/spoiler]

The nominations are almost certainly going to be weighted towards newer games, if only because so much* has been lost to the ravages of time. Also because prior to 2007, the engine was DOS-based, so to [s]play anything from before that[/s] hear the music as AdLib instead of General MIDI you'll need to finagle with DOSBox. Also also because you can do a lot more now and people are more experienced and have a better idea of what they're doing. Also also also because people used to not list which version of the engine games were made with (much less include the relevant copy of game.exe), meaning you'd need to piece together which goes with which. There're probably more reasons, but this paragraph has plenty as it is.

As such, my nominations are split by whether the game was made in the DOS era, ten each. A lot of these are games I haven't played in forever, so who knows whether they're still good and/or whether other people liked them back in the day too?

OLD AND BUSTED:

- Beyond Destiny
- Boundless Ocean
- Fantasy Under a Blue Moon X v4
- Genesis
- Origin
- Purgatory
- Spellshard
- [spoiler]Sword of Jade[/spoiler]
- does wandering hamster count as old, since it's been updated since hasta-la-qb
- Wingedmene

NEW HOTNESS:

- C. Kane
- Ghosts Towns
- Hati's Bizarre Adventure
- Kaiju Big Battel
- Katja's Abyss
- Megaman Sprite Game
- Puppy Adventure
- Ramble Planet
- Samanthuel's Lovely Home
- Transylvania Girls

*: yes there's mountains of crap even with the stuff that's survived, but a good archive** contains that too to give the better stuff context and because there's always a chance that something that got passed over the first time is worth a second look

**: I am not an archivist so this could be completely wrong
Last edited by Hedera on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stewitus P.
Slime Knight

Post by Stewitus P. »

Prifurin wrote:Can we also make Top 10 Most Ridiculous OHR games?
Easily could be Top 100 though
I second this. I would also like to suggest excepting intentionally bad games for their own list. While hilarious- and frankly the status quo for a while- games like Arfenhouse really shouldn’t be considered the best the engine has to offer.

I’ll start nominating once I get a chance to actually play some of them again. But right now my votes are for Walthros, Missing, and Ends of the Earth, because my nostalgia trumps your logic and everyone else is already going to vote for Wandering Hamster and Vikings of Midgard.
Last edited by Stewitus P. on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
—- So anyway, how are you?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Hedera Helix wrote: Also because prior to 2007, the engine was DOS-based, so to play anything from before that you'll need to finagle with DOSBox
For the most part, even very old games should work in the current version of the engine, and of you find some that don't, you can report that to the bugtracker
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Hedera Helix wrote:my nominations are split by whether the game was made in the DOS era, ten each. A lot of these are games I haven't played in forever, so who knows whether they're still good and/or whether other people liked them back in the day too?
There is a STARK division between games made in the DOS era, and "modern" OHR games.

[EDIT] If you're looking for a top 15 list of games to promote or show off, look for them in BOLD

OLD OHR - For the most part, the games made back in this era were all HUGE RPGS that didn't deviate too much from the default battle system. They're outdated, potentially glitchy, lacking sound effects for the most part, and with the exception of FUABMX and Wandering Hamster, they're all also complete. Wandering Hamster gets a special mention as being the only game that's received any significant updates since the time where these games were coming out.
  • Sword of Jade
    Wandering Hamster
    Spellshard

Boundless Ocean
    Darkmoor Dungeon
    Walthros
    Wingedmene
    Fantasy Under a Blue Moon X
    Ends of the Earth
    Final Fantasy H
NEW OHR - Most games these days DO use the default battle system, but they don't feel beholden to it. HBA, Baconthulhu, and Tim-Tim in particular are noteworthy for having completely different "styles" from one another as well. Heavy use of plotscripting, sound effects, and large walkabouts or slices are common. For the most part, they're also significantly shorter than the "big" RPGs of the past - most of them clock in at around 2 hours or so, instead of gunning for the elusive 8 hour+ mark.
  • Hati's Bizarre Adventure
    Axe Cop
    Kaiju Big Battel

Festivus
    Void Pyramid
    Bob the Hamster in Crypt of Baconthulhu
    C.Kane
    False Skies
    Spooks and Summons
    Tim-Tim the Mighty Gnome
HYBRID OHR - Don't be deceived by the name of this category, for the most part these are all "new" games. By all appearances they could've been made in the era of OLD OHR games. They're all RPGs, they all use the default battle system, and for the most part don't use too many exceptional plotscripting tricks that someone new to the engine would recognize. A better name for this category might've been "Frozen in Time". The long and short is that if these games came out completed 15 years ago, they'd have made a huge splash. Special mention goes to MMSG for literally coming out of nowhere, being one of the few OHR games made "in isolation". Also you could probably replace OHRodents with most any other Ronintendo game.
  • Vikings of Midgard
    Megaman Sprite Game

War on Xmas
    OHRodents
    You Need a Hero
NON-RPG - There's been something of an uptick in these recently, mainly due to plotscripting getting more advanced commands, and with the introduction of Slices. By and large, they're puzzle games as well.
  • Katja's Abyss
    Don't Eat Soap
    Slimeomancy

Paladin Traducer
    Witches2
ART GAME - This is something we're started to see more of recently, games that aren't really games so to speak as they are, well, "art house" exhibitions.
  • Smantheul's Lovely Home
    Moonday
    Horse Game

Hakei
    Meh 2.0
COMMUNITY GAMES - These are games specifically made FOR the OHR community. They usually have huge ensemble casts of characters from other people's games, or reference them heavily. In general, if you've played several of the other games in other lists, or hung out in irc/Slimesalad Discord, then you'll get more out of these kinds of games than you would've otherwise.
  • OHR House Battle Royale
    OHR House Heroes
    No More Villains
    My Little Gahn
    ALL THE GAMES
GAMES THAT ONLY THE COMMUNITY CARES ABOUT - Explains itself pretty well. Usually these are one-off "joke" games, or made a big impact at the time and then faded away, being mentioned only by old farts like myself who can't let stuff like Arfenhouse go. In short, they were important at the time, and have some historical value to the community, but they aren't really talked about much anymore. Except that one game. You know which.
  • Arfenhouse
    Mr Triangle's Meh Adventure
    Timestream Saga
    And&
    KARRIBLE
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Nom:
in order

All the games by barnabus
Cat in Box
DON'T EAT SOAP
Dreadful Occupant
Devs Like Waffles
Phantom Tactics
Motrya
void pyramid
DUNGEONMEN
Kaiju
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Bob the Hamster wrote:For the most part, even very old games should work in the current version of the engine, and of you find some that don't, you can report that to the bugtracker
Ah, I didn't know that. Of course, the music comes out as General MIDI instead of BAM, which.. most people probably don't care about, but for those who do can be a minus.

also having briefly replayed And&, holy moly that game hasn't aged well, taking it off my list of nominations
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

The lid slides off a coffin in the basement of Shinra Manor and I emerge with a cool flip

Karrible.

I lay back in my coffin to rest and the lid slides itself back into place.
Working as intended!
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Super Amazing Blue Ball Game
Darkmoor Dungeon
Wally's Castle
Gay Savage and the Enigma Rip
Arfenhouse
The Last Job
Hati's Bizarre Adventure
Genesis
Don't Eap Soap
Ramble Planet
Motrya
Festivus
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

Hedera Helix wrote:[spoiler]Sword of Jade is nowhere to be found, unfortunately.[/spoiler]
Honestly, even though I loved Sword of Jade, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to feature it on the Youtube channel, because it suffers from some weird technical problems in current versions of the engine that might put people off if it was their first impression of OHRRPGCE games, and because Fyre­Wulff is working on an update of it that will likely make a much better impression on people outside the community. I think it would be best to focus on the kind of games that Fenrir called "New OHR".

At the same time, though, I feel like you can't avoid talking about Sword of Jade entirely until the update comes out, because there are so many other OHRRPGCE games that refer to it, and not just in the form of quoting lines of dialogue or having momentary character cameos; there are games like Hati's Bizarre Adventure that actually feature characters from Sword of Jade as playable characters and central parts of their plots.

I actually feel like, besides a top 10 games, there should also be a top 10 characters list, which would showcase the histories of characters like Mi'la, Gahn, Hati, Cthulhu, Bob the Hamster, Roo, and Dr. Mu, which have become part of a sort of community consciousness, and taken on lives of their own beyond the games they were originally from.
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
Ravancloak
Red Slime

Post by Ravancloak »

ya'll sleeping on alien squatter smh
Have a flower! ^-^~* (she/her)