SPRING OHR OPEN COLLAB 2021

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Prifurin
Red Slime

Post by Prifurin »

When I was 6 years old the most nightmarish and scary experience that happened to me was episode of Sonic where his friends are turned into evil copies

That said, ohr games are not suitable for children imo in their vast majority

scores tldr:

"funny" - the worst game, feels like you are a girl - Eeeethical Hacking

"okay, a little retarded" - the best game - Knight Slights

"too funny" - the second best game, you play as a girl but does not feel like a girl - Digital Soul Data

BTW I love minecraft can we have a SS official Minecraft server? pls??????
Last edited by Prifurin on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eight days a week
Sazae
Red Slime

Post by Sazae »

Lady Spoon here. Here's my votes and thoughts.

I give first place to Knight Slights, because it feels like the most comprehensive. The goal of the game is clear, the graphics, sounds, et al. are nice. Overall I had fun playing it, understood the game, plus I've played cards against humanity before and I'm the best at it. I beat Spoon and his family at it, so ha!

Second for me is Digital Soul Data. I really like the graphics and story of the game. However, I would have liked there to have been a level indicator, otherwise I'm a little perplexed on the flow.

Lastly, we have Eeeethical Hacking. Interesting concept, but I personally found it confusing. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing, so having some more direction would be nice. I did like the idea behind it, though.

Overall I think all involved did a great job and I hope that everyone further develops their games because they really were fun to play and it was a close race for me. Also don't take a 6 year old's votes to heart, as he's just a kid.
Last edited by Sazae on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Ryker's votes
[yt]cWY-hSzpczo[/yt]
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

1st Place
KNIGHT SLIGHTS

2nd place
Digital Soul Data

3rd Place
Eeeethical Hacking

But, we're all winner!

RMZ, Morpheus­Kitami, and Ichiro, PM me your address for the random mystery box for winners.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

What a rollercoaster of a day with this judging.

I respect but don't agree with the results. I am flattered the Spoon family liked our game enough to vote it so highly. This is the second contest where judging made me win when I really thought kyle would win. This time moreso than Heart of the OHR for sure.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Prifurin wrote:BTW I love minecraft can we have a SS official Minecraft server? pls??????
We did have one at one point. I think James was running it?
This was years and years ago though.

If someone knows how to access it and it's still available. it would be cool to reuse that world.
Otherwise, yea this sounds fun.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I have enjoyed this thread very much :D

Congratulations to all three teams!

Also, re: Minecraft, I do still have a copy of the old Slimesalad server world. My daughter and I use it as a local world now. If anybody wants a copy of it, let me know and I can try to get it to you somehow.

It is about 6.7 GB in size.
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

Congratulations to RMZ, Morpheus­Kitami, and Ichiro! I'll make a post later that will go into more detail about my impressions of each of the entries, but here are some preliminary thoughts about them:

- I'm kind of disturbed that two teams who had no contact with each other (and I was on one of those teams, so I can vouch for the fact that we had no knowledge of what the other teams were doing besides what they'd posted in this thread) independently came up with the idea of having the game's UI itself make 13375P33K jokes about the protagonist's h4x0ring 5k111z. I was the one who was at fault for putting the caption "The 1337357 of H4x0rz" on the high score table in Digital Soul Data, and when I first uploaded a build of the game with that dialog implemented, I was fully expecting everyone else on the team to yell at me about how stupid that is and how I'd better change it RIGHT NOW. But apparently, nobody really cared about it.

- I can only hope someday to create a game that might receive such a great endorsement as Ryker's quote of "This game is so weird! This game is so stupid!"

- I just realized something about the other players in Knight Slights. The game uses the labels "Maturity: Low", "Maturity: Medium", and "Maturity: High" to describe them. This is, in fact, a very good indication of which answers they tend to pick, and it's the kind of idea in game design that I think is fascinating and doesn't get explored nearly enough, because it allows you to draw logical conclusions about what the other players are going to do, even without them having any statistics that can be defined in terms of numbers and exact measurements.

But how does this actually work? How can a computer program know how to act like a more or less mature person? Well, there are 3 opponents, and there are 3 people who worked on the game. I suspect that each of those people decided which answers one of the opponents would pick for each question, by ranking how funny they, personally, found each possible answer. Assuming this is true, then in a sense, each opponent could be said to represent one of the developers, and that makes me wonder, out of RMZ, MorpheusKitami, and Ichiro, which one of them is "Maturity: Low", which one is "Maturity: Medium", and which one is "Maturity: High".
Last edited by polkakitty on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Part of that is correct polkakitty. Maturity was actually something I came up with very late in production, like last 3 days.

Ichiro and I had been brainstorming to categorize each card based on what type of card it is, Person, Place, Thing or Event, and that each question card yields higher points if you play a card that is in that category. So that's how it was before. I then decided that some of the answers, even that fit that category could be stupid or immature and therefore, that could help break ties even easier. I went through all of them and gave each answer a maturity rating. Then based on which knight was the host, determined the maturityboost that the cards would get. In addition to this, every knight has a top response card that goes with a proposed question. Fenrir Lunaris was yellow (low), I was red (medium), and Morpheus was green (high).

Also, this is 100% Ravan's fault for being inside of my brain, but if you play the BEES card, it always gets a little extra point value.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

RMZ wrote:Fenrir Lunaris was yellow (low), I was red (medium), and Morpheus was green (high)
Yay! I'm low maturity!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Mystery Boxes have been shipped.
Opening videos are welcome and suggested.
Attachments
169565790_148896883822513_6469952066689902271_n.jpg
169565790_148896883822513_6469952066689902271_n.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Got my package...uh...I hope all this broken stuff in it was supposed to be packing materials. Beyond that, there was a novel called Shadowmaker, some CD from Indonesia, Paranorman on Blu-ray, an old X-Men comic, some robot thing, a script for an old-timey soap opera, a Digimon fighting game on the PSX, a M&Ms educational game, which I did play in the past, unfortunately too late for a nostalgia trip on that one, and some lady wrestler's autographed picture. Pretty cool stuff, although I'm not sure whether I'm can do anything with some of it.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

COOL!
Glad you liked it
though... I wish there was another unboxing video
I love those
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I said I'd open mine if Spoon could go a whole day without being a jerk. And dammit, he wasn't one today.

[yt]QZ4GqkqLTdg[/yt]