SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

pjbebi
Slime Knight

Re: SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Post by pjbebi »

Well, I posted my game. I thought about changing the year in the title so it wouldn't be so similar to Spoonweaver's, but Time Girl has a lot of 1998-specific stuff in it. It's hard to tell what qualities make an adventure game especially good. Hopefully this one is worth everyone's time. Thanks in advance for playing.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I've corrected the due date to the 26th
there will be no extensions beyond that.
If it is the 27th, your game is late. It's very like DQ'd at that point so please please please submit on time

Now, the idea of a tie came up. Given that there is only 1 trophy and 1 Hati pillow, in the event of a tie (where an agreement of who gets what can not be reached) a tiebreaker will be held.
The tiebreaker will be an additional very very short contest.
The details of that contest will be revealed if this tie breaker needs to happen, but given the judging format I don't think it will.

Speaking of Judging Formats!

The 3 judges will be asked to provide an ordered list of all the entered games from best to worst (in their opinion)
Games will be awarded points based on their placement in those lists with the winner having the most overall points.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Fenrir, I have one question to ask...

Were you inspired by the CANS series or Insanifest for MZX, because I'm getting a lot of that vibe.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

I've never played any Megazeux games, although if some were an inspiration for some of STOAT's sources, then it's possible that it might be indirectly inspired.
Ravancloak
Red Slime

Post by Ravancloak »

ours is up now, probably with bugs that idc enough to fix :D
Have a flower! ^-^~* (she/her)
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

Ichiro wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:55 amWere you inspired by the CANS series or Insanifest for MZX, because I'm getting a lot of that vibe.
It probably seems that way because there was a very particular formula for a scene that most Megazeux games included, where some random person from the Megazeux community would appear as a cameo, say whatever catchphrase they used to be known for saying on IRC (or just the first random, meaningless sentence that came into the game creator's head, and then for years afterward, people would assume it was that person's catchphrase, even if they never actually said it,) and then they'd usually die gorily, partly to make them stop talking and partly because the game was made by a 13-year-old boy in the 90s for whom the funniest things in the universe were blood and swear words.  (Though in hindsight, that was at least better than being a 13-year-old boy in 2021, for whom the funniest thing in the universe is endlessly repeating the same 2 or 3 lines from Shrek, a movie released well before he was born, while pretending to have deep and devoutly held opinions about which memes are "outdated" or "forced", and which memes aren't those things.)

Technically, STOAT.rpg follows that same formula, but I think it's a lot more purposeful than the MZX games that used to use that formula; even ignoring the subtext about the actual OHRRPGCE community, there is a plot (a very simple one, but it is there, and it works deceptively well, both as a cautionary tale and as a sendup of End of Evangelion) where it matters that you've been gorily killing everyone you've met.

Incidentally, I've always thought that if I ever created a game engine, it would be called "Merveilleux", it would come with a demo game (like Vikings of Midgard or Wandering Hamster) that would include as many stupid puns based on French words that end in "eux" as possible, and it would be designed as a successor to Megazeux (that link is pretty much the best explanation of what Megazeux is and why anyone cares about it, for anyone for whom this all sounds like gibberish,) with sprite- and tile-based graphics, with the ability to define a library of universal robots that could be placed on any board, and would be guaranteed to behave the same way on all boards (sort of like the "Global NPCs" feature that was recently added to the OHRRPGCE, come to think of it,) and without the restriction of robots only being to execute 40 commands per frame (although since Megazeux has been ported to run on modern operating systems, the current version of Megazeux itself no longer has that limitation either.)

I also wanted this engine to define robots not just through each robot having its own script that determines everything it does, but in terms of properties that can be shared between robots, that other robots can react to, and that can have functions associated with them that will be added to any robot's script if it has that property.  So for instance, you could define a "flying" modifier, which would override a robot's movement functions with functions that didn't check for certain obstacles in the robot's way before letting it move, and that way, there could be a flying version of any robot.

Or you could define "weak against fire", "normal damage from fire", and "resistant to fire" modifiers, each of which would add an (identically named) function to a robot's code that would be called when it was hit by a fire-elemental attack and would decrease an HP variable (which would have a value local to each robot) by a different amount, and you could give each robot one of those modifiers.  This would eliminate any need to duplicate the same damage code across scripts for different robots, and provide a way to implement powerups or equipment to give the player resistance to fire (you would just need to change which modifier the player robot had.)

I've written up some notes about how a scripting language could be implemented to do these things.  It's all in my backlog of things that I sincerely want to do someday, in my copious free time, but in practice I'm almost certainly not going to live long enough to finish them.  There it joins building a (several) fursuits, learning to model and animate things in Blender, properly learning to play keyboards, proving that if P = NP then N = 1, and furthermore.

Of course, ever since Baba Is You was released, if I actually did create a game engine that incorporated that modifier idea, nobody would ever believe I didn't rip it off from that game.  And that's terribly unfair, because the truth is, I got that idea by ripping it off from the Super Mario series, and the way those games feature variations of basic enemies with added abilities (e. g. Parakoopa = Koopa + flying ability, Buzzy Beetle = Koopa + fire immunity, Fire Piranha Plant = Piranha Plant + fireball-shooting ability.)

However, I don't hold any ill will against Baba Is You, and you should absolutely play Baba Is You, because it's hands down one of the best puzzle games of all time, and because it's so thoughtfully designed that I think it's a necessity to play for anyone who aspires to design games themselves, not just because of the great variety of puzzle concepts and properties that can be given to objects, but because of what a great job it does of teaching you about advanced interactions between objects without ever stopping the game to explain anything verbally.  Each of the early levels (both in the game as a whole and in each world) is designed to teach you about a very specific trick you'll need to use later on, and all of those bits of information become tools you need to put together to solve the later levels.
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

that time Fenrir accidentallys into a bizarre ritual practiced by an ancient video game making community that predates the ohrrrpgce

I've always wondered how many megazeux users were here. Just Polkakitty and Ichiro? I only knew a Wynand.

Also, games are looking tight so far. That wave effect in Mirror World is so rad.
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

Very illuminating. Thanks Polkakitty.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Spoonweaver wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:52 pm I've corrected the due date to the 26th
there will be no extensions beyond that.
If it is the 27th, your game is late. It's very like DQ'd at that point so please please please submit on time
Confirming publicly about this to avoid any confusion. Bena was under the impression it was Sunday (7/25) EOD, bleeding into 7/26 and not all day 7/26. Talking to Fenrir as well made me feel less confident about your words as well, but it clearly says 7/26, implying EOD for that. Just want to kinda put my team at ease confirming we have until 11:59 Monday to submit our game. We will be working on it up to the wire.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

I'm going to withdraw from this, since I've barely done any actual work on the game, and mostly just stressed about how much work there was left to do. Sorry. :zombie:
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Were you inspired by the CANS series or Insanifest for MZX, because I'm getting a lot of that vibe.
I've never played any Megazeux games
It probably seems that way because there was a very particular formula for a scene that most Megazeux games included...
I've always wondered how many megazeux users were here.
Huh, been a loooong time since I've seen Megazeux referenced anywhere.

I messed around with it (and ZZT, and Super ZZT briefly -- for a while there I got hooked on games with ASCII text graphics and was tracking down and playing pretty much anything like that I could find) a bit back when I was in the later elementary school years. I don't remember the "people showing up, saying a catchphrase, then dying" thing... but then again, I also didn't really play a lot of other people's games. I think I only ever played through the packed-in game (Caves of Zeux or something along those lines?), a little bit of something called "King Rat" if I'm remembering right, and I vaguely remember one other that I can't remember the name of, I want to say more adventure/puzzle-ish with little or no fighting involved. I mostly downloaded a bunch of things that were less games and more people showing off how to do the programming for various things like sidescrollers, low gravity movement, bouncing off walls, and so on.

I think I had actually finished one, maybe two games... but they were super short and not very good. One was a sidescroller most of the time but had boss battles in top-down mode, the other was a sequel to the first one but I don't remember much of anything about it (I'm not even 100% sure I ever finished it.) They ended up being lost when the computer's hard drive died (the same dead hard drive that had my 1998 OHRRPGCE project that never got very far on it, if I'm remembering right.)
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Swordplay has let me know that he wants to step down as a judge, as he is planning on entering the contest.
So Giz replaces Swordplay.
and Holly has volunteered to be the backup Judge, if we end up needing one.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Welcome to hell, ladies and gents.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Alright, I did what I could to make our submission functional, but it's extremely unfinished.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8249

Unfortunately, our connection to the contest theme was narrative based, and Gaplan got really sick, so his story didn't make it into the current build. If you're interested, the player-character is seeking an ancient, legendary fish rumored to be in a lake near a small town. He seeks this legendary fish to settle a score with his ancestor who also battled against this fish in anglery combat. Additionally, the story of each character was meant to delve into their pasts. I understand if the submission is disqualified for not actually including any of that.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

still waiting on a surprisingly large number of entries....

rmz/bena, eonHet, char, nathan, and swordplay

I may be extending the deadline, but don't bank on it and try to get things submitted today