Has Anyone Tried Making a Pokémon Fan Game with This Engine

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

AetheralMeowstic
Slime

Has Anyone Tried Making a Pokémon Fan Game with This Engine

Post by AetheralMeowstic »

The reason I'm asking is because I want to know if I'm the only one who's had this idea before. If not, why not? :???: I'm pretty sure a Pokémon fan game in the Final Fantasy style would be quite interesting. :v:
AetheralMeowstic
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

An amazing one was made but never finished.

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3572
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

There have been a few games with pokemon characters in them
I don't think there has been a direct fan project with actual pokemon set in the normal pokemon world with everything the same as a regular main franchise game aside from the battles being final fantasy based 4 pokemon at a time, type battles. If that is what you're referring to.
I think generally people try to either put their own spin on their projects as much as they can, or try to avoid putting a lot of work into something that might get cease and desisted.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

RedMaverickZero wrote:An amazing one was made but never finished.

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3572
Not finished yet, you mean!

Puckamon hasn't been abandoned, though I haven't done much with it for a while. None of my released-but-unfinished games have really been abandoned, except for The K'hyurbhi Lands which I doubt I'll ever touch again.

For Puckamon, I'm just waiting until the reserve party is expanded so there's no risk of somebody randomly overwriting Ash just because they caught too many different monsters (...or a bunch of multiples of the same ones, if someone wanted to be silly.) I have actually thought about a possible workaround -- add a few lines in the script for adding monsters to your team that won't let you do it if the reserve is full, and then make it possible to "release" extra Puckamon by taking them to the Official Hamster Republic Role Playing Game Construction Engine so there's a way to free up space. But that kind of workaround would just prevent the issue from breaking the game unexpectedly rather than actually fixing the underlying problem, so I'm still kind of discouraged from working on the game much more until the reserve party expansion happens.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

There were a lot of projects announced back in the day from like 2003 through 2007 which we naturally never even saw a single screenshot of; one was going to be called "Pokemon Black and White" because "Nintendo would never use that as version titles" and the default names for the male and female player trainers were going to be the words for garlic in a couple of different languages or something. Another was someone starting a poll and discussing the differences between Pokemon and Final Fantasy and asking what aspects he should focus on more (more or less "I can't imagine anything but a straight up fangame to one or the other of these two JRPGs, please tell me which fan game you'd prefer" and commenters in the thread saying to just experiment and make a game with a mix of elements from both instead).

I threw catching Pokemon into Nintendo Quest as a joke (because Pokemon are an important Nintendo franchise and I like making use of the Steal Item mechanics). It was really crude and the entire game was a big mess.

And yeah, Puckamon is one of my favorite OHR games. I'd say it's our community's best monster collection game so far.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

yes its been attempted. a lot.

however there are a lot of limitations in the built-in battle system. namely you can't switch in/out heroes in the battle scene.
(you could always script your own novel battle system :P)

there's a quite good game called Hinterlands where you can get monsters in your party :P
however the focus is not on catching monsters.

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewga ... interlands
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

There used to be a few. I remember playing one in 1999 downloaded off one of the sites back then. The early ones are probably lost to the wind, though.
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

I've played around with making Pokemon games in OHR. I wouldn't ever try to release my creations as full fan games, though. I mainly just play around to learn from them.

For example: I tried remaking Pokemon Yellow in OHR. I'll never remake the full game using OHR, but I can learn how to do certain things that I probably would have never thought of otherwise.

Currently, I'm working on a 'Virtual Pet' Pokemon thing called 'Pokemon Pocket'. I'm interested in virtual pets in general and think it would be a cool idea for a mini-game for my future RPG games. So far, its not perfect...but it works. Ive also tried remaking 'Eevee Tamagotchi' in OHR.

I have quite a few Pokemon Fangame ideas...but since they can never be released as actual games...