What is your best game and why?

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Arti
Red Slime

What is your best game and why?

Post by Arti »

Wow, I've been a bit busy lately, now that I have some time I'd like to ask the community a question.
What do you think is the best video game you have made as developers and why do you think so?
There is always going to be a game that they are more proud of than others regardless of the reception.
For example, the game that I liked making the most was Mini RPG, it is so simple and so entertaining (at least in my opinion).
Last edited by Arti on Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arti
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Alright.

When it comes purely to the game's merits as a game, I have to say A Quest, actually. It's got a lot less of the weird and needless difficulty spikes most of my other recent projects wind up having, but still has a little bit of secrecy in some of its inner workings and offers a lot of player customization despite its fixed cast. The game has situations where you want magic attack power, situations where you want physical attack power, situations where you want fire, where you want ice, any combination of these; rewarding experimentation and exploration but also making it a bit of a risk/reward in some areas.

While they're an intentional throwback to the way I drew pixel art in 1998-2004 I actually like the visuals to it a lot, too. I particularly love the way the skeleton sprites turned out, but am not as happy about the dragon.

It's the kind of game I designed to be good for a laugh for those looking back at the old limitations of the engine while also being a generally easy, approachable game for newer modern players. Not being able to plotscript in quality of life functions like a generous Dragon Warrior style game over, not being able to give the player buffing or status affliction spells, and so on definitely had an interesting effect on shaping the gameplay, but I think I did a pretty good job balancing it within those confines.

Plus I got to draw some cute fairy girls, that's always a benefit.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I personally think my best game is [game]Clam Digger[/game].

I think the level of polish I put into that game really made for a perfect product that I don't think about going back to and fixing up ever.
There's nothing I'd change. I think this way about Cat in box too, but I have to admit that clam digger is a better game than cat in box in a ton of ways.
some of my other games like tim-tim or slimeomancy I look back at and think things like, "Oh I could improve this here." "Oh, this could be better if I redid it." "Maybe I should remaster this.." But not Clam Digger. I think it's exactly what I wanted to make.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.