Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

GAME TRAILER CONTEST!!!

Post by Spoonweaver »

GREETINGS FELLOW OHR PEOPLES!!!

It's that time once again!
Was there a time before? Who knows. Likely lots of people.
Anyways, this here is a new contest!
What kind of contest is this, happening so close to the giant Heart of the OHR contest?!
Who would do such a thing?

This contest is not a game making contest.
But also, it is!
There will be a lot of good games entered into the Hot:OHR contest this year.
But how will people know? Who will tell them!? The masses must be made aware of the OHR Glory!
Game Marketing is difficult. It's not something we every really want to think about and it's not something everyone here even attempts!
But don't worry about all that nonsense!
Let's all make a game trailer!

Rules!?!! ::
In order to enter this contest, you have to make a video and upload it to the internet.. somewhere (I suggest youtube)
You have to provide a link to that video to us here on slimesalad. (I suggest in this thread)
Any length is fine (but if it's too short it will likely be judged harshly)
You have till the end of the month! (November 30th)

Judgement!??!#&?? ::
We'll all vote on who's video is the best, with a special bonus vote going to the videos with the highest view counts on their prespective hosting sites (again, suggesting youtube)
Voting will last about a week.

Prizes?!*&^%$#@ ::
The winner will receive a Spoonweaver Box of Nonsenseâ„¢ (assuming they provide their shipping address)
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Thank you. This will help push me to do this.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

This is a fun idea! Not likely to make one myself, but I am excited to see what other people make :)
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

My current computer doesn't have Windows Movie Maker and I've never been able to get video capture software to run properly on any computer I've owned, so unfortunately I won't be able to make anything for this.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Nathan:
The ohr has a built in gif recorder
There are a number of video editing applications online
You can use the recorded gifs as the visuals and add audio
You don't have to enter, but I think it's very possible.
I can look into the online process of doing this further for you if you need.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

If somebody needs a decent free video editor, I have found that OpenShot is pretty good.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Bob the Hamster wrote:If somebody needs a decent free video editor, I have found that OpenShot is pretty good.
I think OpenShot is what I've been using for a while since Windows Movie Maker is no longer a thing, which really was the best. There's a lot of little things I don't like about OpenShot, like it feels like you don't have as much control on the fades, and there's not as many transitions as Movie Maker had. It can do a lot and it is very easy to use, don't get me wrong. I think there's just a few little pieces of control that I would like to have to label it the best. But then again, I've not found a true worthy replacement for Movie Maker yet. I tried buying Corell Movie Maker or something along those lines and it costed me a bunch of money and didn't do the job as well as I had hoped.

I'll still be using OpenShot, don't get me wrong, as it is the closest I've gotten to finding a program I like to use for editing as much. But I'm still hopeful I can find that magic program that's just like Windows Movie Maker.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

i recommend kdenlive, but its kinda difficult to navigate the interface, and it also slows my computer down a lot... but its very powerful! (apparently)
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

RedMaverickZero wrote:I'll still be using OpenShot, don't get me wrong, as it is the closest I've gotten to finding a program I like to use for editing as much. But I'm still hopeful I can find that magic program that's just like Windows Movie Maker.
Well I've been hoping for 20 years to find a drawing program with even all the same basic ease of use as MSPaint had up through Windows Vista (basically the same as XP, but with a significantly uglier default palette). There doesn't seem to be one, which is why I transferred a copy of the XP MSPaint to my DropBox and just re-download it every time I get a new computer; the OHRRPGCE's built-in sprite editor is my second choice for pixel art and MSPaint is still #1.

Though OpenShot does sound pretty good for my needs, since I didn't use many fancy transitions anyway aside from experimental videos where I was doing that specifically to test out what could be done.
SwordPlay wrote:i recommend kdenlive, but its kinda difficult to navigate the interface, and it also slows my computer down a lot... but its very powerful! (apparently)
Powerful isn't what I need in software very often. "Slows down my computer a lot" also applied to Windows Movie maker when I was using that.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

My video editing software makes me want to eat my own shoes, so I probably didn't spend enough time on this, but here it is.

https://youtu.be/B6v30LclGmA

Getting the gifs from the ohr into a high resolution is hard. I scaled them up 4x and converted to mp4s, but it still looks blurry in fullscreen. If anyone has any advice on that, I'd appreciate it.

There also aren't many high-action scenes in Katja's Abyss, so choosing what to capture was tough. I welcome feedback on that too.
Ps. I love my wife
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

I'm no authority! But what I would say after watching this is that lower quality is fine, people are used to that on youtube. Doesn't even register.

My notes on this particular video are all about order of the clips. The minesweeper display looks really complicated - I know it's not, that's just how it appears to anyone who doesn't get the basic concept of the game. So I wouldn't put it near the beginning. I'd put all the surface level gameplay first. The extras you're showing here could also go later, rather than being peppered in. Might be better to sell the superficial experience, and then add depth, with maybe the final clip being something surprising you hadn't shown before about the gameplay -- that or something cinematic.

^ my two cents
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. My strategy was a bit back and forth with showing mining, then dialogue or extra stuff. I thought minesweeping would be the simplest thing to start out with, cause that's what people would be familiar with. You're probably right though.
Ps. I love my wife
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

This contest makes me want to rerelease my old Powerstick Man Trailer 3 from 2014, but it's a music video, and YouTube would definitely hate me if I were to post it.

But I did post it on Facebook once upon a time. So, you still get to see it if you want.

Note: This is not an entry. Just a bar to surpass. And you should totally turn on the sound and the HD selection. Just sayin'.

Not entering though. I did this video six years ago.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well this didn't go as planned.
Looks like we only got 1 actual entry.

Oh well.
I hope you all got to thinking about marketing your games once their done in any case.
So Kylekrack
You're the winner by default.
You have won a Spoonweaver Box of Nonsenseâ„¢ (assuming you provide your shipping address)
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I'd like to thank the academy.
Ps. I love my wife