The Community Project

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

So
I was talking about this community project idea with the people on Discord. BTW, if you don't frequent the discord channel, you should stop by.
The general idea I took away from it was one member of the project should basically start their project and then post a request for the parts they aren't able to do.
Of course, this has been tried before.
But what we all agreed was the issue before was the ideas just weren't accepted or things other people want to work on. Sad but true.
And also that things were lacking proper leadership and organization.

I have not had much experience managing people making games, but I would like to offer my services to anyone who needs help putting together a team to make their game project.
Post your ideas or parts of ideas on the forum and I will gladly help you piece things together.

Starting with the Point and click adventure, the brawler, and the ohr house type game.
I'll post a bit more about the organization of those projects that I think will work best.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

:hurr: shucks

edit: what's discord?

edit edit:
obligatory/perfunctory link for OHR House
https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7771
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

You know we mods can still see former post edits, right? :v:

Also, if there's a community project, my only real recommendation is to keep the project scope SMALL. A game with the scope of something like Vikings is far too big to maintain a steady amount of work for those involved, and you'll eventually have people get burned out before it gets anywhere near done. You need to set your goals much, much lower - at least for a "first" community game. Something on the order of an hour or so length RPG or whatever.

The largest workload will ALWAYS come down on whoever's going to be doing the art assets, full stop.
Therefore, any group project will need to be reigned in hard to keep the "designers" from writing too much content that the artists can't keep up with.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

In response to giant deleted post:
I'm not here to dash anyone's dreams or whatever. As they say, advice is free, and that's all I offered. But as the guy who made OHR House (16 years ago even), I believe even if there's some perceived value to it or it inspired you somehow, I suggest doing your own new thing with that inspiration. The only reason that game is still even remembered is because it was the only OHR game that had tried its concept. I think better work can be done. You're in a small pond with the OHR. Test the limits of the waters instead of treading them.

For what it's worth, plenty of parodies of OH have already been made, none that have really lasted the test of time. It's unlikely anyone would come up with an interesting spin on it. The time you invest in making that game could go to something worth remembering instead of something that will be forgotten in a month. We have the ability to be smarter about this stuff now that indie development tools have been around so long.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I often write things and delete them, sometimes on purpose for tmc or Bob, but I honestly don't know the whole mod team

Edit: you don't need to respond to deleted posts. They're gone now, lost to time. Shhh... let it go...

Edit Edit: you know I was joking in my deleted posts, right? (laughs weakly)
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

SwordPlay wrote:I often write things and delete them, sometimes on purpose for tmc or Bob, but I honestly don't know the whole mod team
Nobody knows the whole mod team. They're quiet and efficient janitors! :)
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Yyyyyeah, let's get back on topic, shall we.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I have dreams that can't be dashed, don't worry about it.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Starting with the Point and click adventure, the brawler, and the ohr house type game.
Why don't we try democratizing it first. Create a poll, and see what people would potentially like to work on.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I think you are much more suited to being a Producer than a Director.
Are you going to create a poll for that?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well I don't think a forum poll would really tell us who would like to work on what.

I think at this point the community project idea is going to be split. I'm going to rename this thread Community ProjectS and have it focus on grouping people up to make games.

Sword, if your idea for an ohr house game is truely what you want to work on then I'll see what I can do you help that happen. You should only need 3 people tops I'd think. A writer, an artist, and a scripter.

As for the brawler, We'd need an artist or two and another scripter at the minimum. Let me know if you are interested.

For the point and click adventure. I think the scripting would be light, so 1 scripter should do. 1-2 artists, maybe 3 with each focusing on either background, sprites, or events. And a writer and puzzle maker.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I'll be quite honest, I can't be any more sarcastic without hurting myself.
Please, stop. I can't take any more.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I can see why a poll isn't necessary here. Could be better for whoever wants to lead the drive to create a new thread for one of those three ideas presented and have people start fleshing out the idea and responsibilities there. Like, create a thread for the community Point-n-Click or the community Brawler and just start compiling design goals, concept art, story concepts, etc.

That way, it's not exclusive. If you'd rather work on a different project, you can create another thread, and they can exist in tandem.
Last edited by kylekrack on Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

See, that's just called teaming up. I wonder if there's a thread with that title somewhere!
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I think the brawler would take the most technical work (choreography, AI, animation) to get off the ground, and a point and click would take the least.

If we get the point and click engine ready, someone can start writing for it immediately.