Android google-play compat status thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Oh, *sigh* more problems.

It looks like even though I got the new version of the APK installed, the rpgdir files seem to have not actually updated :(

I am guessing that means that something is wrong with the "download" or unzip phase

EDIT: I used the AndroZip file manager to manually delete the libsdl-DownloadFinished-0.flag and then the rpgdir updated to the new version correctly.

And more bad news, backgrounding the app and then returning to it fails, you just get stuck on a black screen :(
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I have been digging though pelya's git tree looking for fixes that are relevant to those two outstanding issues

This one looks relevant to the data files not being re-unpacked because libsdl-DownloadFinished-0.flag doesn't get deleted
https://github.com/pelya/commandergeniu ... 9fc3dc9d0e

And my top suspect for the black screen on resume bug is this fix:
https://github.com/pelya/commandergeniu ... afc208c97d

I haven't had time yet to actually try applying those changes and testing them (not figuring out which, if any other changes will be prerequisite) but I am happy to have at least discovered something :)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Hmm... *sigh*

Tried cherry-picking 1bae3afa6f0f322c142465af0f41db9fc3dc9d0e and got all excited because it seemed to work on the first try, seeming to fix the libsdl-DownloadFinished-0.flag issue... then I got all confused because it also seemed to fix the black screen on resume, and I couldn't see why.

Unfortunately, it looks like my testing was wrong.

Apparently BOTH of those bugs only happen to me when I test on Android 9.0

If I test on Android 8.1 then it seems that nether of those bugs was happening in the first place.

Unfortunately, I can conclude now that 1bae3afa6f0f322c142465af0f41db9fc3dc9d0e alone does NOT fix the libsdl-DownloadFinished-0.flag bug on Android 9.0
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Actually, it occurs to me that since I can only reporduce these two bugs on Android 9.0, and I have only ever tested on one Android 9.0 device which I got pretty recently, I don't actually know if these bugs may have always been happening on newer versions of Android. They might have nothing to do with recent changes to the Android builds.

Has anyone else tested any OHRRPGCE game on any Android device running Android version 9.0 or newer? Can you share your experiences?
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Bob!

I tested your game, uh, I mean I heard about your bacon adventure!

While the game doesn't show up on my swipe-down menu when I've minimized it, I can tap the game's icon on my home screen, or find it in my window selector (square button) and return to where I left off in the game. Several attempts at this, no issues found.

Android Version 9. Let me know if you need more data.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Curious!

Next time I upload a new version, I'll ask if you can try again, do we can see if the other bug with unpacking files is happening.

Which model phone is it? (The only one I have tested Android 9 with is a Pixel 1)
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Did you mean to lock this thread? I'm going to unlock it, since you've just asked a question.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Oops! I must have clicked that by mistake
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

My mum asked me to help transfer all her files to her new Android 9 phone, so I can test these problems in a couple day's time.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Tmc's mum: "Why are there 600 RPG games on my phone?"
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

"Oh, ignore those. I'm just inflating app install counts for a friend. ...friends. A few friends."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I haven't tested yet, but DanteDynamite in Discord reported trying a latest ohrrpgce-game-debug.apk (32 or 64 bit?) on a phone recently upgraded to Android 9, and resuming worked fine.

Maybe this isn't an Android 9 problem? Have you tried testing in an emulator? Its been a while since I tried getting the emulator to work on my computer.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

No, I haven't tried an emulator. Maybe this is something specifically wrong with my phone.

I am also concerned about the failure to delete the download flag on upgrade. It is impossible to notice the problem on first install, it only shows up when you update to a newer apk with a newer version number and a new RPG file (again this was only observed on my now-suspicious Android 9 pixel 1)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I actually tested ohrrpgce-custom.apk (because I had it handy and it includes some test .rpgs already; should behave the same), and can reproduce that bumping AppVersionCode doesn't cause gamedata.zip to be re-extracted.

A look at adb logcat shows why:

Code: Select all

libSDL: Settings.Load(): loading settings failed, running config dialog
(I only knew to look for that after looking at Settings.java)

This causes DeleteFilesOnUpgrade() to be totally skipped because it can't check whether it needs to or not.
I see that the libsdl-settings.cfg file is actually totally missing, so it's Save() that's broken. It writes libsdl-settings.cfg to the current directory, which seems dubious to me. I expect there are some commits in upstream sdl-android to fix Save(), but that's enough for me tonight.

---

As for the black-screen problem, I tested both the previous targetSdkVersion=26 and the new targetSdkVersion=28 and anything I could think of, but could not reproduce. Come back with some log-file evidence that it really happens!

Marking CLOSED, Resolution WORKSFORME
Last edited by TMC on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Yes, I need to get some adb logs of what happens on my phone (which my daughters have named "Lala", all our phones have names now) I just need to have spare time and access to that phone at the same time, which hasn't happened lately.

Thank you for narrowing down the libsdl-settings.cfg problem! That gives me a fresh thing to search for in pelya's commit history :)