Android google-play compat status thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Ah, no, I haven't checked that (and haven't rooted my phone) but that does give me confidence in your idea for the workaround :D
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Okay, I just implemented the fix you suggested TMC, and tested it--- well, I couldn't reproduce the bug before, so I just tested that I didn't break the build and didn't break it on any of the phones that i tested on, but *hopefully* this will fix things for people who did see the problem.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Not a very satisfying fix when you can't see it for yourself and don't know what the problem was!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Time to revive this old thread!

I tested bumping targetSdkVersion up from 28 to 29 and the results were good!

Everything seems to play okay, unpacking new files on an upgrade still works, and in general, nothing seems broken. Yay!

I also went down a rabbit-hole of trying to enable full-screen an hide the navigation bar. That part is not working very well at all yet.

So far I have only been messing with these changes in Wandering hamster's apk, they are not even in android nightly builds yet

https://hamsterrepublic.com/tmp/wanderi ... _arm32.apk
https://hamsterrepublic.com/tmp/wanderi ... _arm64.apk
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Okay! bumping the targetSdkVersion to 29 seems to have worked :)

I was able to get an update to Wandering Hamster accepted to the play store with no warnings or complaints. Yay!

My understanding is that apks with an older targetSdkVersion will NOT be removed from the play store, but they will start blocking updates in November if the targetSdkVersion is less than 29.

If anyone wants their apk files rebuilt, please let me know!

I'll get the android nightly build fixed soon also. (hopefully tonight)

I gave up (for now) on enabling the full-screen mode. I could get it to enable, and you can get back out of it with a swipe from the side where the hidden navigation bar is-- but I also have to add logic to make it re-hide when you touch anything, which i nearly got working okay-- but the really hard part is that I have to make the OHRRPGCE ignore the swipe that un-hid the navigation bar, otherwise it registers for pathfinding or menu-opening.

So I'll work more on that sometime later.

EDIT:

Oh! I almost forgot to mention. I did notice two changes in behavior now that we are using targetSdkVersion 29

* [s]When swapping tasks, the icon above the top of the screen in the task switcher is a generic android robot instead of the actual app icon[/s]
* The feature to stretch the screen to the device dimensions no longer works-- the original aspect ratio of the game is always preserved, possibly with some black letterboxing (might be a feature rather than a bug?)

Neither of those is bad enough for me to be too concerned right now.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Ah! Interesting! The app icon actually works fine now-- I think that the app icon that us show when task swapping is actually taken from Google Play, so it just doesn't show up on an apk that hasn't been published yet
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I just posted about this in the Q&A thread, but I found this thread right here. AWESOME that Android 10 compatibility is good now.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Willy Elektrix wrote:I just posted about this in the Q&A thread, but I found this thread right here. AWESOME that Android 10 compatibility is good now.
Yay!

...the bad news, I discovered a couple days ago that the current apk files can't be installed at all on Android 9

That took me by surprise, since I thought we were just targetting Android 9 but could still install on older versions. That may not be the case though.

I am considering the possibility that we might need to split android builds to have one that targets the current version required for Google Play, and another that targets an older version for the benefit of people who just want to sideload onto older devices
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Bob the Hamster wrote:That took me by surprise, since I thought we were just targetting Android 9 but could still install on older versions.
Yes, it should definitely still be possible to install on any Android 2.3+ phone. But Google Play doesn't actually allow it? I downloaded the nightly 32-bit ARM build and was able to install and run it fine on my Android 4.4 phone and an emulator running Android 4.2.2. So maybe the problem is something you did while uploading it to Google Play?

I also tried compiling the apk myself but on both the emulator and phone it crashes every time at the following point:

Code: Select all

F/libc    (26652): Fatal signal 6 (SIGABRT) at 0x0000681c (code=-6), thread 26699 (GLThread)
I/DEBUG   (26712): backtrace:
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #00  pc 000261a4  /system/lib/libc.so (tgkill+12)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #01  pc 0001725d  /system/lib/libc.so (pthread_kill+48)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #02  pc 00017471  /system/lib/libc.so (raise+10)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #03  pc 000161a5  /system/lib/libc.so
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #04  pc 00025a54  /system/lib/libc.so (abort+4)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #05  pc 000154dc  /system/lib/libc.so (dlfree+2344)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #06  pc 0000e178  /system/lib/libc.so (free+20)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #07  pc 001dc770  /data/app-lib/com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.game-2/libapplication.so (fb_StrDelete+56)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #08  pc 001da0c8  /data/app-lib/com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.game-2/libapplication.so (fb_StrAssignEx+224)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #09  pc 001da2fc  /data/app-lib/com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.game-2/libapplication.so (fb_StrAssign+60)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #10  pc 0009260c  /data/app-lib/com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.game-2/libapplication.so (BUILD_LISTING+156)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #11  pc 00093fbc  /data/app-lib/com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.game-2/libapplication.so (BROWSE+1716)
I/DEBUG   (26712):     #12  pc 00136c7c  /data/app-lib/com.hamsterrepublic.ohrrpgce.game-2/libapplication.so (main+11828)
I'm sure this is unrelated. I think it might be due to the FB branch I'm using, though I haven't touched it since June, and I thought it worked back then.
Happens regardless of whether the sdk target is 29 or the old 28. Unfortunately running the apk with ndk-gdb doesn't produce anything useful, it just crashes even earlier. This is going to be painful to track down!

BTW I notice

Code: Select all

E/libSDL  (26652): ERROR: Mixer not built with MP3 support
I/OHRRPGCE(26652): music_sdl, SDL_Mixer 1.2.11 (22050Hz, Music decoders:WAVE,MIKMOD,OGG,FLAC Sample decoders:WAVE,AIFF,VOC,OGG,FLAC)
No reason to build in FLAC support. Just increases file size a bit.

I also notice that SDL reports 6 joysticks on my phone, which is odd and slightly concerns me.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Is it Wandering Hamster on the Play store that supposedly can't be installed on old phones? That lists Android 2.3+ as the requirement. I tried to install it, and after the Play store UI breaking on me the first first times I tried (I do hate Android a lot of the time) and trying to force me to uninstall apps to gain more space although I had 220MB free (I deleted some podcasts instead) I managed to install and play it fine on my 4.4 phone.

Hmm, my phone went to sleep during the opening cutscene, maybe we should fix that
Last edited by TMC on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Hmmm... So more detail

I noticed the problem when I tried to test the Axe Cop Apk on my Android 9 phone. Simply sideloading the apk failed, and gave no useful error message. It worked fine on my Android 10 phones

Checking through the Google Play store, I can't see Axe Cop at all through search-- if I google the link, that tells me that the apk is not compatible with my phone

I also see Wandering Hamster still seems fine in the Google Play store

So maybe this is a store listing problem. RMZ said he would have files ready for an updated apk soon, when he does that I'll ask him to make sure the Play store has as many devices as possible selected

Perhaps the sideloading didn't work for me on my Android 9 phone because I know it does communicate with the Play store even for sideloaded apps (play protect scanning)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hmm, I tried the same thing with the same results.
when he does that I'll ask him to make sure the Play store has as many devices as possible selected
Do you actually select phone models, rather than capabilities such as screen size?

Maybe something in AndroidAppSettings.cfg (or rather, gamespecific.cfg) is causing the compatibility problem?

Oh, I noticed on Google Play's page for Wandering Hamster someone wrote back in 2019, "Cool but I can't go to 'trash' to discard my unwanted stuff, plz fix some bugs :(". That reminds me, long ago some people in Discord told me they couldn't move the cursor into the third column in the item menu in Wandering Hamster on Android, and Trash isn't selectable either. Noone ever mentioned it in any other game. Ummm... I did put that on the Bughunters page on the wiki but neglected to put it on SourceForge at the time or mention it because I never got around to testing for myself. Sorry! I just tested it now, and it's fine. Did you ever fix it, or did it just go away by itself?
Last edited by TMC on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The gamespecific.cfg file for Axe Cop doesn't have anything unusual.

I do know there was a place in the Google Play upload process where you were presented with a list of supported devices guessed from the apk and had the option to disable some. I don't remember how it worked, as I last used it a long time ago, and they may have changed it since then.

I checked the trash in the inventory in WH on my phone, and it works okay.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

If you guys need help testing various files, maybe I can contribute. I'm on Android 8.0. Let me know!