Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I've finished building the basic layout of the next town and am now back to work on NPCs. This is much smaller town than Flopsberg and starts out with a monster attack.
Attachments
Dinosaur.png
Dinosaur.png (10.22 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
Here he is: The King of the Beach
Here he is: The King of the Beach
Starfish.gif (112.44 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
Starfish.png
Starfish.png (9.23 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Working on the sprite set for Mac, the hero formerly known as Dinosaur Micro. Long retired from superheroics, Mac is taking it easy on Isla Lagarto when things go horribly wrong.
Working on the sprite set for Mac, the hero formerly known as Dinosaur Micro. Long retired from superheroics, Mac is taking it easy on Isla Lagarto when things go horribly wrong.
Mac.PNG (5.67 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Time to build some monsters.
Attachments
The bird is the worm
The bird is the worm
003.PNG (23.69 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Dip.PNG
Dip.PNG (26.3 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
EuDbHeQXYAomawT.png
EuDbHeQXYAomawT.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Here's the next enemy sprite, the Gooman Being. Big mood right here.
Here's the next enemy sprite, the Gooman Being. Big mood right here.
Goo.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks to Feenix's suggestions, I'm working on new damage sprites for the heroes!
Attachments
Also switched up his casting sprite to one that more accurately represents him. The original was very generic; it's just a reuse of the first frame of his standard attack plus the outline. New one has thumbs up, tongue, and those eyes.
Also switched up his casting sprite to one that more accurately represents him. The original was very generic; it's just a reuse of the first frame of his standard attack plus the outline. New one has thumbs up, tongue, and those eyes.
BobCast.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
Not done yet, but I think this is a big improvement so far! Previously when Bob took damage there was just a minor sprite change to his mouth. Now, he squishes 1 pixel horizontally, stretches 1 vertically, and gets new eyes and mouth.
Not done yet, but I think this is a big improvement so far! Previously when Bob took damage there was just a minor sprite change to his mouth. Now, he squishes 1 pixel horizontally, stretches 1 vertically, and gets new eyes and mouth.
BobHurt.png (16.71 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

I'm already hearing him crack a joke with that casting frame.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

that looks fantastic! everyone can learn something from these sprites.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Working on a world-below-the-world area as a continuation of the one seen in Ghost's Towns and Kaiju Big Battel.

Also a bunch of beach bums.
Attachments
Not all dinosaurs are friendly! Some are downright rude. Don't let it get you down, Bob.
Not all dinosaurs are friendly! Some are downright rude. Don't let it get you down, Bob.
DinoWizard.PNG (13.53 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Here's a dinosaur getting ready to rock the beach with a fashionable new pizza shirt.
Here's a dinosaur getting ready to rock the beach with a fashionable new pizza shirt.
Dinosaur.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
Turtle.PNG
Turtle.PNG (12.88 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
There's also this.
There's also this.
Seal.PNG (18.12 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
WELCOME BACK ROBERT IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN
WELCOME BACK ROBERT IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN
1bit.PNG (4.15 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Trans rights on Walthros - Sam, AKA Dinosaur Super, fights for justice both on the battlefield and in society at large. Bob meets Sam and her brother Grant while investigating the White Shrine.
Attachments
DinoSuper.png
DinoSuper.png (60.14 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Delighted Dino Said Trans Rights.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

The Wobbler wrote:Thanks to Feenix's suggestions, I'm working on new damage sprites for the heroes!
Good job on giving the characters more unique in-battle animations. It's a great way of conveying personality and giving a distinctive feel to playing with each character, and it's something I think a lot of people ignore just because early Final Fantasy games gave every character the exact same animations. Just because Final Fantasy games did something doesn't mean everyone has to copy it.
The Wobbler wrote:Trans rights on Walthros - Sam, AKA Dinosaur Super, fights for justice both on the battlefield and in society at large.
First thought: Awww, that's sweet.

Second thought: is the fact that you made Dinosaur Super, specifically, a trans character intended as a reference to the plot of Jurassic Park, or is that just a weird coincidence?
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks!

A lot of the game's story ends up focusing on identity and family, especially in the third chapter, and I really wanted to include a positive portrayal of trans character. I wanted this character to be someone inspirational in the world of Walthros, so one of the dinosaur superheroes fit that idea best; the rest of the playable cast is a bunch of regular people, only Dinosaur Triple is really known by anyone in the world.

I didn't make the Jurassic Park connection until later, when I was coming up with a non-hero name for Dinosaur Giant and settled on Grant, and that ended up making it all a funny coincidence.
Attachments
Just two more NPCs to finish and I'll be done with building all of the Lagarto town exterior!
Just two more NPCs to finish and I'll be done with building all of the Lagarto town exterior!
Scout.PNG (16.89 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I haven't used vehicles in a game since 2009, there's lots to try and remember! I've got this one up and running and just need to wait on one engine bug fix before it's complete.
Attachments
The final NPC for Lagarto's town exterior is finished! This batch took a little over two weeks, compared to the month spent on Flopsberg NPCs. Picking up the pace as I get very close to the end of Act 1.
The final NPC for Lagarto's town exterior is finished! This batch took a little over two weeks, compared to the month spent on Flopsberg NPCs. Picking up the pace as I get very close to the end of Act 1.
Concern.PNG (28.37 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Adding some bling to the Sky Flyer. Players will be able to choose from one of a few color palettes.
Adding some bling to the Sky Flyer. Players will be able to choose from one of a few color palettes.
walthrosrenewal0066.gif (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1702 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Starting to put together the battle sprites for Mac. He's a temporary party member who helps out for a little bit when players arrive in Lagarto and later joins in during optional monster hunts.

Mac was only going to take part in one battle originally, but I've liked writing him so his role's expanding (in a way that doesn't alter the core story.) He will not be a permanent party member, but will show up to fight super bosses when Bob phones him.
Attachments
Working on battle balancing for this area's enemies. The boss of this area will be familiar to people who played the original game!
Working on battle balancing for this area's enemies. The boss of this area will be familiar to people who played the original game!
Villa.PNG (20.3 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
Mac.png
Mac.png (17.51 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I've been working on tweaking the game's palette, starting with lowering the green levels across the board very slightly. I think this looks nicer now, even if the difference is likely minor to most players.
Attachments
Meet Mac, a retired dinosaur hero
Meet Mac, a retired dinosaur hero
Mac.PNG (21.98 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
Another boss fight finished! This is one of those "overpowered guest characters rocks the enemies" fights, but on Standard and Hard modes Bob's healing is essential to surviving.
Another boss fight finished! This is one of those "overpowered guest characters rocks the enemies" fights, but on Standard and Hard modes Bob's healing is essential to surviving.
Rock.PNG (18.7 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
Just continuing to goof off with palettes. I added an optional one that reverses the placement of each color ramp on the default palette. I kind of like blue Salom!
Just continuing to goof off with palettes. I added an optional one that reverses the placement of each color ramp on the default palette. I kind of like blue Salom!
FlipFlop.PNG (19.22 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Colors.png
Colors.png (14.58 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

The color adjustment makes a bit difference. It's probably the best shade of yellow for Bob.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

All of the Lagarto Villa cutscenes are done so it's time to build a couple side quests before going on to White Shrine. I'm probably done messing with palettes for now but may add one more.
Attachments
All kinds of Bobs. Which palette will you use?
All kinds of Bobs. Which palette will you use?
Bobs.png (49.55 KiB) Viewed 1572 times