Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Working on side stuff outside of Lagarto now.
Attachments
Here come the Crime Cats! One of them is actually a good dude who needs your help.
Here come the Crime Cats! One of them is actually a good dude who needs your help.
Cats.PNG (22.67 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

One of the problems with Walthros: Renewal is the cats aren't fat enough, I promise to fix this.

Here's what I've got so far, a comparison of the old cat sprite and the new one. The cat was very first sprite drawn for this game and I was going for a different style with long, noodly limbs and pill-shaped body. Now I've embraced chonk.
Attachments
Y'all ready for some side stories??
Y'all ready for some side stories??
Stoey.PNG (28.91 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Crime Cats 2.0 - Bigger and badder
Crime Cats 2.0 - Bigger and badder
CrimeCats.PNG (24.25 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
The next updated sprite is Catzuma, our gangster with a heart of gold. There aren't a whole lot of references or jokes about other games in this title, but Yakuza is such a huge inspiration on my game design that I needed to include him.
The next updated sprite is Catzuma, our gangster with a heart of gold. There aren't a whole lot of references or jokes about other games in this title, but Yakuza is such a huge inspiration on my game design that I needed to include him.
Catzuma.png (16.67 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Old Lydia vs. redesigned version. Bigger and fluffier.
Old Lydia vs. redesigned version. Bigger and fluffier.
Lydia.png (14.37 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
Cats.PNG
Cats.PNG (13.92 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The Garfield-Yakuza parody crossover no one asked for! Garleone is a recurring villain who appears in a series of side stories.
Attachments
Garleone.gif
Garleone.gif (531.79 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
Garleone.PNG
Garleone.PNG (22.74 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

The Wobbler wrote:I haven't used vehicles in a game since 2009, there's lots to try and remember! I've got this one up and running and just need to wait on one engine bug fix before it's complete.
I love the way the Sky Flyer's shadow changes from small when you're flying over low ground to big when you're flying over high ground. There's just so much love and care that you've put into details like that that it makes the demo a joy to play, and makes it feel like you're in a world where all kinds of people live.
The Wobbler wrote:I've been working on tweaking the game's palette, starting with lowering the green levels across the board very slightly. I think this looks nicer now, even if the difference is likely minor to most players.
The more vivid base color for Bob definitely looks a lot better, but I think the shading worked a little better in the old palette because there was a bigger difference between his base color and the darker color used for shading. The new sprite looks a little more flat to me.

(This is something I've always had a problem with myself when designing sprites; choosing how much of a difference in value to use for shading. Strangely, it seems to be easier when working with a very limited palette, like the default 16-color palette in DOS, because you usually only have one darker shade to work with, and it's chosen to be very clearly darker than the lighter colors, but still have an easily recognizable hue.)

I think the black cat sprite is a good example where using a darker color for shading was an improvement; the new sprite has a larger area shaded to make his body shape look rounder, but it also has a very pronounced difference in value from the base color. (Of course, the new cat sprite also has a face that looks a lot better-proportioned and more expressive. And I appreciate you making him fatter, as a huge fan of fat cats =3)
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Long time coming, I finally went through and rebalanced all of the weapons in the game. Lower levels were too weak, later levels were way, way too strong. Also made the blacksmith menu a little nicer, but it still needs more work.
polkakitty wrote:I love the way the Sky Flyer's shadow changes from small when you're flying over low ground to big when you're flying over high ground. There's just so much love and care that you've put into details like that that it makes the demo a joy to play, and makes it feel like you're in a world where all kinds of people live.
Thanks! That one was a bit of a pain to get working but I'm happy it's all good now.
The more vivid base color for Bob definitely looks a lot better, but I think the shading worked a little better in the old palette because there was a bigger difference between his base color and the darker color used for shading. The new sprite looks a little more flat to me.
This is a good point and a reminder to me that I need to look at these graphics on different screens. On my computer, there's plenty of contrast between Bob's colors, but viewing it on my phone there isn't. I can keep adjusting this one.
Attachments
Art imitates life
Art imitates life
Couch.PNG (22.05 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
Get your dino-sized ice cream sundaes with a side of weird haziness at the Cosmo Creamery
Get your dino-sized ice cream sundaes with a side of weird haziness at the Cosmo Creamery
IceCream.PNG (41.99 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Dinosaur Giant busting a move
Dinosaur Giant busting a move
DinosaurTriple.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
You can now buy a sparkling pink couch for Bob's apartment from Jeanne's item shop.
You can now buy a sparkling pink couch for Bob's apartment from Jeanne's item shop.
Couch.gif (44.18 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
Smith.PNG
Smith.PNG (25.07 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Digging the classic trio family painting in the first screenshot and the extra polish you've been putting in. Looking good.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Setting up bedrooms for the dinosaurs in their headquarters
Attachments
Grant's Room
Grant's Room
Grant.PNG (21.04 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That room looks great! I like the decorations and the art on the wall.

I think the windows will look better if the bottom sill is brighter than the wall instead of darker
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks! That's an easy enough change, how's it look in this GIF? https://twitter.com/bobsurlaw/status/13 ... 22020?s=20

Too big to post as an attachment, but it's a tour of Dinosaur HQ.
Attachments
There are a lot of broken relationships in Walthros: Renewal, but Arnold and Roland are a perfect match.
There are a lot of broken relationships in Walthros: Renewal, but Arnold and Roland are a perfect match.
Frog.PNG (20.93 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Here they are, the heroes of New Dinosaur Triple
Attachments
Roland.PNG
Roland.PNG (23.8 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
Grant.PNG
Grant.PNG (21.63 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
Sam.PNG
Sam.PNG (23.47 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

So this is New Dinosaur Triple. But the new dinosaurs look like the original dudes but different names. Is this is a reimagining or is the first team canon? I saw the picture I commented on that looked like the OG Walthros team. You've specifically called them Super, Giant and Micro this whole time so just curious if that carried over for these guys or if it's like a Walrus Man thing where he's not SWM but Hank now. Either way, this is looking good.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The Wobbler wrote:Thanks! That's an easy enough change, how's it look in this GIF? https://twitter.com/bobsurlaw/status/13 ... 22020?s=20

Too big to post as an attachment, but it's a tour of Dinosaur HQ.
I watched the gif, and it looks great! :D
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

In this timeline there's an original team led by Mac/Micro with two of his friends. That team broke up and Sam/Super relaunched it years later with Grant/Giant, but they're at the very beginning of their crime fighting careers. Mac joins in as a guest in a couple fights and is way more powerful than the rest of the party at the time. The team's whole thing is a commentary/parody of reboots.

They still use the names Super/Giant/Micro when they're out being super heroes, but they use their regular names otherwise. Same with Hank/Super Walrus Man

I'm leaving details of the other two original members who worked with Mac vague for now in case I want to bring them in somewhere later
Attachments
A look inside Roland and Arnold's house. Who can identify the albums on the wall?
A look inside Roland and Arnold's house. Who can identify the albums on the wall?
House.PNG (26.83 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Working on attack animations! Sam can enchant her sword to target enemy types rather than elements.
Attachments
While most characters fight with just one weapon, Sam is something of an inventor and collector. She has a range of different swords that are used for each of her attacks.
While most characters fight with just one weapon, Sam is something of an inventor and collector. She has a range of different swords that are used for each of her attacks.
Sam.png (7 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
Here she's using Overload, an attack that does double damage to machines.
Here she's using Overload, an attack that does double damage to machines.
walthrosrenewal0075.png (5.35 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

April is Fooled - I added an Ugly Mode palette to Walthros: Renewal.
Attachments
walthrosrenewal0073.gif
walthrosrenewal0073.gif (3.25 MiB) Viewed 1777 times