Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Re: Walthros: Renewal - Demo 2.1 Now Available

Post by The Wobbler »

Working on sprites for a playable Lydia! She joins the party temporarily after the events of Grey Shrine. I haven't decided what she'll use for a weapon yet, I'm open to suggestions.
Attachments
Lydia.PNG
Lydia.PNG (15.59 KiB) Viewed 3097 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Woah, playable Lydia. I haven't played enough W:R to know what would be a good weapon for her, and it's been too long. I guess I gotta go play more!
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

have her use a shotgun
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Went with two weapons; Switchblade for her normal attacks and a screwdriver for a dismantling attack when used against machine type enemies. So far none of the heroes use guns but there's laser beams throughout the game so one of the temp members should definitely get one.
Attachments
Battle balance testing for Lydia, she has basic healing moves, a defense debuff, and anti-machine attack, a counter, and a critical hit.
Battle balance testing for Lydia, she has basic healing moves, a defense debuff, and anti-machine attack, a counter, and a critical hit.
walthrosrenewal0087.gif (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3079 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I got some feedback that it was confusing whether or not you could swap certain characters out of the party at any given time. Locked in characters now have a little lock icon letting you know!
Attachments
Sometimes you're just trying to live your life and a cult leader/vacation salesman takes over your house
Sometimes you're just trying to live your life and a cult leader/vacation salesman takes over your house
Trex.PNG (63.38 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Lock.PNG
Lock.PNG (47.57 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Getting the next dungeon prepped. Players will get to use Lydia as a guest character here.
Attachments
Cyborgs
Cyborgs
Robots.png (13.95 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
Work in progress on a robotic dinosaur boss sprite in comparison to the version used in the original Walthros, one of my worst sprites in that game. The new version takes inspiration from Mechagodzilla.
Work in progress on a robotic dinosaur boss sprite in comparison to the version used in the original Walthros, one of my worst sprites in that game. The new version takes inspiration from Mechagodzilla.
Dinosaur.PNG (7.16 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
Old-school Walthros players may recognize the shape of the guns used by the Mu Defense Units. They're inspired by Glob Spril, an underused hero from the original game that doesn't appear as a playable character in Walthros: Renewal.
Old-school Walthros players may recognize the shape of the guns used by the Mu Defense Units. They're inspired by Glob Spril, an underused hero from the original game that doesn't appear as a playable character in Walthros: Renewal.
GlobCannon.png (12.89 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
A ship has landed
A ship has landed
GoldShip.PNG (56.62 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Adding NPCs to an encampment outside of the next dungeon.
Attachments
Big Bufo helps Salom upgrade his weapons in a world gone mad.
Big Bufo helps Salom upgrade his weapons in a world gone mad.
Frog.PNG (51.87 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

One of the things I've always loved about your projects is seeing something from way WAY back in your earlier projects suddenly show up with a new spin put on it. Especially that purple dinosaur. I think that's probably the biggest treat that Walthros Renewal has to see for us long time fans!

But also, having an easy to identify indicator that a particular hero is locked in position? That's brilliant!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks! It's been very helpful getting feedback from people outside the OHR userbase, they're noticing little things like that (hero locks) that I'd otherwise take for granted since we're all used to it.
Attachments
The big guy himself.
The big guy himself.
Bufo.PNG (9.57 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Meet Cerina, one of the new characters Salom meets after returning to Lagarto. Later in the game, you can challenge her at the coliseum.
Meet Cerina, one of the new characters Salom meets after returning to Lagarto. Later in the game, you can challenge her at the coliseum.
Cerina.PNG (48.13 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
All my friends are witches
All my friends are witches
Swamp.PNG (52.11 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
Some players have given me feedback about weapons being too hard to see since the animations are fast and they can blend in. I've added black outlines around weapons so they're a little more visible.
Some players have given me feedback about weapons being too hard to see since the animations are fast and they can blend in. I've added black outlines around weapons so they're a little more visible.
Shovel.PNG (56.64 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The Many Faces of Hank Walrusman

Every character has a base weapon that can transform down two paths once they're upgraded enough. Hank's power comes from his mask, so he gets to change his look entirely!

The Lucha Mask is made by upgrading your mask using cloth materials, the Witch Mask is made using gems. Lucha form restores some HP with each hit, Witch form restores MP.
Attachments
Here's a GIF of the new upgrade system in action. I might make it a little flashier later on, but the important things are that it works and that it's easy to read.
Here's a GIF of the new upgrade system in action. I might make it a little flashier later on, but the important things are that it works and that it's easy to read.
walthrosrenewal0094.gif (378.87 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
Working on a full visual overhaul of the game's upgrade screen (top). The old one (bottom) was both cramped and kind of hard to read. It's going to take a while to implement for every character, but it will be a lot more user friendly!
Working on a full visual overhaul of the game's upgrade screen (top). The old one (bottom) was both cramped and kind of hard to read. It's going to take a while to implement for every character, but it will be a lot more user friendly!
Upgrades.PNG (90.07 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Walruses.PNG
Walruses.PNG (19.23 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Finished switching over to the new upgrade system for Suwanee, each character is taking about a day to fully set up. Four more to go after this!
Attachments
Her Cursed Knives are designed to look like peppers.
Her Cursed Knives are designed to look like peppers.
Suwanee.PNG (50.37 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The upgrade system looks fantastic!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks!

I'm finally totally done converting the game's upgrade system!!
Attachments
Sam's upgrade paths.
Sam's upgrade paths.
Sam.png (95.13 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
At level 6, Grant can choose between hefty, golden weights to boost power or the power of the sea to speed up and reduce charge time on skills.
At level 6, Grant can choose between hefty, golden weights to boost power or the power of the sea to speed up and reduce charge time on skills.
Grant.png (43.38 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Finally on to new content!
Attachments
There's a penguin hiding out in this town with colors inspired by Sega's Pengo, one of my all-time favorite arcade games (and one that really needs an Arcade Archives release)
There's a penguin hiding out in this town with colors inspired by Sega's Pengo, one of my all-time favorite arcade games (and one that really needs an Arcade Archives release)
Pengo.PNG (51.68 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Doing some old vs new graphics comparisons
Attachments
Comparison.PNG
Comparison.PNG (35.89 KiB) Viewed 2305 times