Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, wow. Big milestones. Are the other parts going to be of similar play length?

Replying to some older updates:
So removing the letterboxing was the reason for changing the hero formations. Seems like a huge task. You'd not redoing all your battle backdrops? Does that mean you're leaving some letterboxed, or that some already weren't?

So there's a one-tick black frame when you get teleported in the Grey Shrine? I get that it's meant to be jarring but it seems too jarring (though I admit it's hard to judge by the gif - but I expect at a larger resolution it's even more so). I'd suggest some lower-contrast effect like adjusting the palette for one frame. Or maybe you're trying to punish the player.

Seemingly endless amount of great content posted here!
Last edited by TMC on Sun May 23, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:Oh, wow. Big milestones. Are the other parts going to be of similar play length?

Replying to some older updates:
So removing the letterboxing was the reason for changing the hero formations. Seems like a huge task. You'd not redoing all your battle backdrops? Does that mean you're leaving some letterboxed, or that some already weren't?

So there's a one-tick black frame when you get teleported in the Grey Shrine? I get that it's meant to be jarring but it seems too jarring (though I admit it's hard to judge by the gif - but I expect at a larger resolution it's even more so). I'd suggest some lower-contrast effect like adjusting the palette for one frame. Or maybe you're trying to punish the player.

Seemingly endless amount of great content posted here!
Thanks!

Part 2 and 4 are going to be shorter and much more linear with minimal side content. Part 3 will be about the same length as 1 if players engage with the side stuff, every character will have their own quest there to unlock their final ability.

Some of the newest backdrops didn't have letterboxing, I've finished going back and updating all of the old ones now. Some were pretty quick to fix, some are entirely new backdrops to replace ugly ones.

It didn't come through in the gif well at all, but the teleports actually are just updating everything to a purple palette for about two frames. It's meant to be abrupt as part of this room's puzzle, but it doesn't look quite this weird in the actual game, frames are getting dropped.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Turtle Poll - Do you like Roland better with his hat worn high or pulled down low?
Attachments
Medium
Medium
R1.PNG (5.89 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
High and low
High and low
Roland.png (11.58 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri May 28, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

High when he's being instructive, low when he's being sneaky.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm more of a medium myself. Otherwise perhaps high.
The Wobbler wrote:It didn't come through in the gif well at all, but the teleports actually are just updating everything to a purple palette for about two frames. It's meant to be abrupt as part of this room's puzzle, but it doesn't look quite this weird in the actual game, frames are getting dropped.
Ah, yes, gifs record at a max of 30fps by default, in order to reduce size bloat (unlike good video codecs which don't increase much in size when doubling frame rate). A purple flash sounds reasonable. I'm surprised all the purple frames are getting lost, maybe there's a bug there. You can increase the gif framerate cap if you wish with the -giffps commandline arg (I want to add a better way to adjust that).
Last edited by TMC on Fri May 28, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Decided to go with the low hat when he's low on HP, medium otherwise. Most people on Twitter liked it medium so there we go!
TMC wrote:Ah, yes, gifs record at a max of 30fps by default, in order to reduce size bloat (unlike good video codecs which don't increase much in size when doubling frame rate). A purple flash sounds reasonable. I'm surprised all the purple frames are getting lost, maybe there's a bug there. You can increase the gif framerate cap if you wish with the -giffps commandline arg (I want to add a better way to adjust that).
Wasn't aware of any of this, good info! I'll give that a shot later.
Attachments
Sage advice from New Dinosaur Triple
Sage advice from New Dinosaur Triple
DinoPunch.PNG (61.14 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
What indeed, Sam
What indeed, Sam
001.PNG (55.11 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
Working on a hovering shark lady sprite.
Working on a hovering shark lady sprite.
Lux.PNG (9.83 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Working on animation that uses some in-between, smeared frames to add some additional smoothness.
Attachments
walthrosrenewal0083.gif
walthrosrenewal0083.gif (278.48 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Happy Pride Month, there are a lot of LGBT+ characters in Walthros: Renewal, both playable and non. Our lead fish dude, Bob, is asexual. He has a lot of baggage with his parents but is otherwise very positive most of the time.
Attachments
Walthros.png
Walthros.png (17.08 KiB) Viewed 2433 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Re: Walthros: Renewal - Demo 2.1 Now Available

Post by The Wobbler »

Portrait graphics for Grant.
Portrait graphics for Grant.
Grant.png (31.16 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
Testing out the new board with some new dinosaur faces.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Working on the Team Swap menu. You get to see tiny little cutesy versions of all the characters! You'll be able to swap any time outside of battle when enough characters are available.
Attachments
Working on  a puzzle with some colorful blobs. Originally this was all color driven, but I want this game to be accessible so I've added symbols to each one so you can tell them apart even if you can't see the colors.
Working on a puzzle with some colorful blobs. Originally this was all color driven, but I want this game to be accessible so I've added symbols to each one so you can tell them apart even if you can't see the colors.
Blobs.PNG (13.93 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
Team Swap example
Team Swap example
walthrosrenewal0084.gif (425.12 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Almost done with this section of the game.
Attachments
All together now! Every crew needs a name.
All together now! Every crew needs a name.
BobSquad.png (50.5 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Grey Shrine is done! That was a long, long, long piece of development. Most of the maps are already made for this next part so it should speed up now.
Attachments
Just three buddies having a bad time
Just three buddies having a bad time
Barf.PNG (47.8 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Looking good Surlaw.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks!

I'm happy working on Walthros games and stories for the next few years. I love these characters and this world and I'm excited to expand it beyond this story.

My plan right now is to release a few $1 DLC expansions in the year or two after the main game is finished, with smaller updates and improvements being released as free patches. The main story will 100% conclude, these DLCs will be new stories set in this world.
Attachments
ASCEND
ASCEND
4.PNG (66.08 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
Unrelated, here's a glitch in which Salom became huge on the world map.
Unrelated, here's a glitch in which Salom became huge on the world map.
Salom.PNG (53.24 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Updating my shop scripts to show portraits instead of the regular battle graphics to show who can use what gear. I'd love to have more customization here but this is better than before, where my oversized sprites broke their frames.
Attachments
walthrosrenewal0085.gif
walthrosrenewal0085.gif (252.14 KiB) Viewed 2206 times