OHR 2018 One-Room Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'm thinking of just voluntarily uploading daily playtest builds for people to check out. This should help put a dent in my perfectionist "YOU CAN'T SEE IT 'TIL IT'S FINISHED" line of thinking, by laying my horribly unfinished game for all to see and just sucking it up.

I don't know how to stream and I don't have a microphone, so neither option would work out, but I'd be happy to do regular Discord check-ins. Also kyle, feel free to make special Discord channels just for specific contests and events. Or give other people server access to do that.
Last edited by Foxley on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

@Foxley
Good ideas. To clarify, for the twitch stream, nobody would have to worry about actually streaming. I'd have a stream running and you could just join in on the live chat. The idea is for anyone who'd like having something to listen to/watch while they work.

For discord chat, nobody is required to voice chat. Just listening is OK. I don't want to pressure anyone into doing something they're uncomfortable with.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I wouldn't mind a good old fashioned text chat, but I'm not a big fan of voice chat.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

LET THE CONTEST BEGIN

The 2018 One-Room Contest has officially begun. I'll be back with more details on what exactly that means. Basically, anyone who wants to participate is free to make and submit a game from now until Saturday, February 17. You don't have to use the entirety of those 2-3 weeks to make your game. The window is only that long to give flexibility for those with varying schedules.

I think I will try to do a Twitch stream sometime during the contest so people who want to work on this contest or something else entirely can join me in a productivity jam. I'll even put on some nice tunes if you want. For that, however, it'd be nice to know who's interested and what time/day you'd be available to do something like that. I can do multiple streams on different days.

I made a Discord channel for this contest specifically, so anyone can post stuff on there.

I hope someone gets some fun out of this. Let's make some stuff.
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Alright, so I've decided to just make my Trello board public, and also enabled public comments from Trello users.

https://trello.com/b/e4TnpHWF/one-map-game

In the top left there is a card with a link to a Dropbox folder with the daily build of the .RPG file, and also a dev log and a .ZIP file with the barebones game.exe files if someone needs it. If you have a Trello account, public comments are also enabled, so feel free to comment on whatever you like. Getting ideas from people is valuable and I should try to do it way more often.

Also, ahem, can we get a sticky on this thread?
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

So, for this contest, does it strictly have to be a physical space? What kind of scale?
If I wanted to depict a whole continent, world, universe etc., in that space, I assume that's breaking the rules somehow.
But if I wanted to depict a tiny/microscopic scale, that'd be alright?

Is it about using the tiles to depict some specific space or scale, or can we interpret distance however we like?
But then we could distort the distances for the purposes of fitting everything in... Is that against the rules?

How realistic/literal should the use of tiles be? Do they still have to represent physical things? What if we used tiles to represent some informational area that can be navigated? Surely, turning the map into a kind of topographical interface is disallowed too?
How big is one-room? How big should it be?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

The only actual constraint for the purposes of this contest is that in the OHR, your game must take place on one map with the dimensions 50x50. "One Room" is really a convenience wrapper for what this contest is about. It's not literal. Each tile could be a galaxy across.
Ps. I love my wife
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Foxley wrote:Also, ahem, can we get a sticky on this thread?
AS YOU COMMAND, SO IT IS DONE
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Hey everyone! One week left for making some tiny games! Just wanna check in and see if I can help anyone out.

I haven't had a lot of time to start working on anything of my own, but what I can do is try to get resources to anyone who needs them. If you're struggling to get assets or scripts working for a game, don't hesitate to reach out, and I will do my best to orchestrate something. Making a game is a multi-disciplinary process, and it's not easy or feasible to do that all on your own. Especially when there's so little time! So feel free to respond here, or on Discord, or PM me on either of those platforms if that's more comfortable for you.
Ps. I love my wife
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Hello!
Thanks for offering help, I could need some. I feel like I'm way behind the scedule. :(
I'll have to try to make everthing even more smaller and simpler to finish the game.

I'm currently working on the plot writing cutscenes.
I could need help with that, and with wording and spelling since english is not my native language or later with adding music and sounds to the game.
Other areas that could need help is battle design (add 3 more enemies + attacks) or nice dawings for cut scenes.
Basically, everthing is *quite* a bit unfinished. :angel:
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Most of what I'm behind on is graphical assets, my volunteer pixel artist hasn't done anything yet which is kind of concerning. But he gets work done obscenely fast when he's in the zone, so unless he's got nothing done by the middle of this week, I'm not panicking.

If panic does set in, I'm probably just going to hastily edit some Vikings assets and throw them in because I'm slow at producing pixel art.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

What art would you need?
I still have some bases I use for walkabouts and a lot of old tilesets I would share.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

@marionline:
I can definitely help you with editing/writing. You can send me even a bulleted list of what you want to happen/be said, and I can turn that into actual text boxes, etc. I can also help you with music and sound. Just let me know how many songs and where they go in the game, and I'll either find something that works or compose something quick. For sound effects, give me a list of what you need and whether you'd like them to be recorded sounds or just 8-bit stuff. In the case that you want chiptuney stuff, Foxley's recently put out multiple packs of SFX made in bfxr that all sound great. One of us can get you linked to that. I'd help you with art assets, but I'm pretty slow myself. I can look for resources, though. If you give me the specific scenes you need, I'll see what I can do. Again, feel free to post here or PM me.

@Foxley:
I didn't get around to playtesting your build. My apologies. I'm gonna do that right now. As for art, if it does come down to ripping stuff, I can at least help you modify existing sprites to make them fit better.
Ps. I love my wife
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Working on something, hoping to get it done in time.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Hey everyone, quick update on Submission Dates

The official due date for submissions was originally this Saturday, the 17th. That was to give everyone Sunday to discuss and give feedback before the weekend is over. However, Foxley pointed out that there's a 3-day weekend, and having an extra day on the weekend could help finish. So, I'm adding a caveat to the rules. Your submission should be at least a playable prototype by Saturday the 17th. However, if you need to finish up art assets, cutscenes, textboxes, etc., submissions will be officially accepted until Monday, the 19th. If you need more time after that, let me know, so I can still include you in the running for the award.

Keep working hard, everyone! I'm really impressed with how much has been accomplished in the past week!
Ps. I love my wife