OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

When I put an item in a shop and give it a customized name (like Arming Sword instead of Arming (Sword Icon)) and hit enter on any of the fields to browse something (like required trade-in, Buy Require Tag, Buy Set Tag) it reverts the default name. I think it might also revert the default price. Has this been reported yet?
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

That shop bug is this one, although you've discovered it's broader than originally described; thanks for the report: https://github.com/ohrrpgce/ohrrpgce/issues/1108
Nathan Karr wrote:can we get a vehicle setting "Override map music" the way they can override formation sets?
Was this your HotOHR 2020 request? I somehow seem to have two requests noted down for you!
Either way, it's an obvious and nice feature to add.

I still need to reply to the other stuff posted here, sorry for the huge delay.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

TMC wrote:
Nathan Karr wrote:can we get a vehicle setting "Override map music" the way they can override formation sets?
Was this your HotOHR 2020 request? I somehow seem to have two requests noted down for you!
Either way, it's an obvious and nice feature to add.
No, but maybe it should have been. I'm pretty sure my heart bug request for 2020 is "set Weapon Attack for equipment in other slots on battle menu" and the one for 2018 was "Set default/starting equipment for slots other than Weapon on heroes". Basically, between the two I want more non-scripting support for heroes' starting equipment and class system via item usage.

And since literally any item can be set as a Default Weapon, it should be possible to set Weapon Graphic, Handle Points, and Attack When Used as a Weapon on all items even if they normally can't be selected as such on the equip screen; they used to be in older builds of the engine. I completely understand why these fields become inaccessible on non-weapons (easiest workaround is to set literally every item to be a Weapon which no hero actually has in his equip lists if it's not a real weapon but some heroes have it equipped as their base weapon anyway).
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Could an "mp regen/poison" status effect be implemented, along with allowing for equipment to cause status effects at the beginning of battle? I want to make it so that characters start with 0 mp, but gain some each round. Currently I have an invisible, untargetable enemy that gives mp to everyone, but this means that the effective maximum number of enemies in battle is seven.

Also is there a good way to reduce a given stat, such as hp, speed, attack, and so forth, to exactly 1?
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Hedera Helix wrote:Currently I have an invisible, untargetable enemy that gives mp to everyone, but this means that the effective maximum number of enemies in battle is seven.
The method I used for Nintendo Quest and Fnrrf used for Puckamon (completely independently) was to have all attacks chain to a self-targeting MP heal. In Puckamon, attacking unarmed gives more PP than attacking with an actual weapon. I have a scrapped game where I was going to tie MP regen to the CTR stat.

This also causes characters who get turns more often to regenerate their MP faster, and in that it resembles the poison/HP regen statuses as well.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

The method I used for Nintendo Quest and Fnrrf used for Puckamon (completely independently) was to have all attacks chain to a self-targeting MP heal.
I actually got the idea of doing that in Puckamon from the way Nintendo Quest did it, so not quite completely independently. 😅
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:
The method I used for Nintendo Quest and Fnrrf used for Puckamon (completely independently) was to have all attacks chain to a self-targeting MP heal.
I actually got the idea of doing that in Puckamon from the way Nintendo Quest did it, so not quite completely independently. 😅
That's hilarious because I never thought my use of it would inspire someone else so I just assumed you thought about it without my influence. I don't think it was even the first OHR game to do it, but I never played any others that did it before then.

I got the idea from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, where standard MP regen per turn was 5 (ninjas' magical jutsu attacks cost 4 MP and first-tier spells like Cure/Fire/Thunder/Blizzard cost 6, Cura/Fira/Thundara/Blizzara cost 12, and Curaga/Firaga/Thundaga/Blizzaga cost 18, Illusionist screen nukes cost 24, if I remember all of it correctly off the top of my head; not really important enough to fact check if I'm wrong because these numbers convey the point anyway; use non-magic attacks and MP regen is faster than MP use, use lightly-magical attacks and you regenerate MP slower, use weak magic and it's barely more costly than MP regen, use big flashy spells and you quickly outstrip your regeneration and need to rest a bit before you can do more).
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Hedera Helix wrote: Also is there a good way to reduce a given stat, such as hp, speed, attack, and so forth, to exactly 1?
For everything except HP you can do an attack that sets the target stat to 0% and chain it to an attack that restores +1 of that stat.

That won't work for HP because the target would die before the chain finished.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Here I try to export a picture through pressing CTRL+E on the hero graphics selection screen. Every time I do this, I have to delete the whole preset file name, because I use my own file names for complete graphics.
It would help, if the whole text is marked at the beginning, so that it can be deleted all at once. In the other case, if the preset file name is fine, it should be saved right there by pressing enter.
Attachments
Usability.png
Usability.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

I have a strange use case for playing with the plotscripting stack! Some commands like:
script on stack (@scriptname): Checks if a script is currently present anywhere on the stack. Would be useful in a IF THEN conditional.
delete script out of stack (@scriptname): digs into the stack and deletes the next script that has the given name. Or neutralises it.

The thing is, that if I load a game, the loading-game script comes after the map-autorun script. That sometimes leads to a little bit of confusion, for example if there is a scene taking place on the map, which has some long wait commands. That suspends the script for a certain time... with leads to having the load-game script run some seconds too late. (Beelzebufo engine still in use here)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I think that one is really a bug.

We can only fix it with a backcompat bit, since plenty of games currently rely on the strange order of script triggering, but do think we will need to fix it so that yuo have the option of making the load-game script run first
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Well, the current state definetly feels like an intended feature! First thing on the stack is the loading script... then secondly the map-autorun script is placed onto the stack. And so the map-autorun script is triggered first because it's how the stack works. Computers make so much sense, like dishwashing.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Bird wrote:Computers make so much sense, like dishwashing.
Yes, which makes a task manager quite the opposite of a restaurant manager.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Nathan Karr wrote:The method I used for Nintendo Quest and Fnrrf used for Puckamon (completely independently) was to have all attacks chain to a self-targeting MP heal.
Ah, that's pretty clever.

Right now, the sequence for attacks looks something like Attack -> chain to a Critical Hit less than 100% of the time. If I made it so that it's Attack -> regain MP -> possibility of a critical hit, that could work pretty easily.

I was thinking of making it so there's a dummy attack that checks ahead of time to see if an attack would miss, then chains to either a hit or a miss, with the "hit" being another dummy that would itself chain to either a regular hit or a critical, but I couldn't figure out how to do this in a way that'd incorporate the extra hits stat...
Nathan Karr wrote: I have a scrapped game where I was going to tie MP regen to the CTR stat.
The amount regained each turn is a flat 12 MP, because otherwise I'd have to give up using a stat for something else and they're all spoken for (CTR became magic power, for example).
Bob the Hamster wrote:For everything except HP you can do an attack that sets the target stat to 0% and chain it to an attack that restores +1 of that stat.

That won't work for HP because the target would die before the chain finished.
...I was going to have a character with a set of attacks that depended on how much HP they lost, with a special ability that reduced their own HP to 1. Welp.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Global NPC Pool!

You can now(*) create a pool of global NPC definitions that can be used on any map. The local per-map pool of NPC definitions still works the same as before, this just adds the availability of the shared pool.

When in NPC placement mode, press PageUp/PageDown to switch which NPC pool you are currently using

* (Actually wait and download the nightly build tomorrow. The feature exists in last night's nightly wip builds, but I just fixed a crash bug, so wait for tomorrow's nightly wip)