OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

BennyJackdaw
Red Slime

Post by BennyJackdaw »

I know it's kind of a weird feature to ask for, but I think it's kind of cool that you can give enemy is and bosses animations for when the appear and die, but what about animations for when they get hit? Like, you have this one big boss that is kind of bouncy, and it would be kind of cool to make him squash up and down every time you hit him, or maybe a computer virus that glitches up every time you hit the virus.

Also, what about a feature you could add the bosses that makes them flash when they are low on life?
Mefisno
Slime

Post by Mefisno »

Just noticed a (sort of) bug.

If you use the "Prefer target - Strongest" for attacks and have multiple characters with the same number for a stat, the enemies will just work through each hero one at a time.

For example
3 heros have a defence stat of 10 (hero position 1, 2 and 4) and one has a defence of 5 (Hero 3) if they are targeted with an attack which targets highest defence the enemies will only attack hero 1 (rather than picking between heros 1, 2 and 4 who all have equal highest defence). they will keep this up til hero 1 is dead and then they move on to 2 and then 4.

I only noticed this as I was trying to make a taunt ability using the defunct Ctr stat. The idea is every attack prefers to attack the highest Ctr stat (but everyone is set at 0) unless someone uses a "taunt" ability and then I set the stat to 10, thus drawing the enemy attacks to this character.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Could vehicles be updated to use zones in addition to the A/B tile stuff? Would be much easier to work with.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

It might make sense to convert A/B stuff into actual zones instead of supporting both.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

No, supporting both will be way less work for backcompat. Games with scripts that read and write A and B tiles using read pass block with bitwise ,and, ,or, operators still need to keep working, and just leaving them as they are while adding zone support is easier than trying to make a back-compat interface mapping between the two
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Can we have item description style fields for heroes to be recruited in the Hire shop menu as well? Could help making hired recruits more of an informed decision without needing to have a billboard describing the available characters next to the shopkeeper.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Mefisno
Slime

Post by Mefisno »

Could we get more indicators?

I am currently using the "Mute" status effect to highlight when characters have a defence buff on.
Would be nice to be able to have several for to remind a player when they have Atttack up/down etc. as well as the poison and regen status.

Thanks!
Attachments
def bufss.png
def bufss.png (9.78 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Would an option for having characters' weapon sprites appear behind them, as opposed to the default in front, be feasible? Right now it looks weird when right-handed characters use spears and hammers and it appears in front of their sprites, instead of behind them.

Also, seconding the request for more status effect indicators.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Another request: could an enemy death animation be added where after a certain number of ticks the enemy simply vanishes? I've got it set up so that defeated enemies morph into a "dead" version of themselves, via an attack they use on themselves upon death that transmogrifies them. Unfortunately, if an enemy's killed by a longer attack, or if multiple enemies die, their death animation plays then is immediately reversed while each enemy uses its transmogrification attack. "Flicker" set to 99 ticks looks inconspicuous for cases where a single enemy dies to a short attack, but it starts looking off outside of that.

Alternatively, is there a different way to make it so an enemy transmogrifies itself, and/or spawns in the same slot?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Sometimes I use sprite dissolves in place of traditional animation, such as a circle of light oscillating using the shrink to center dissolve. Or a slime sprite undulating slightly using the melt dissolve.

I noticed there aren't any dissolves that apply much horizontal transformation. I was thinking of cheating by making some swaying grass/leaves using a sprite dissolve, but none of them worked in this context.

All that's to say, I don't know how much effort it takes to add new sprite dissolves, but something with horizontal movement would be a great addition to the list!
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

I'm sure everyone is always saying they want to have more frames in attack animations, or they want to have custom movement patterns for attack animations. However, there's one simple addition that I think would be great for making attacks feel more powerful and dramatic, and that's if we had a way to set the number of ticks for each frame of an attack animation to be shown.

You could have the animation pause briefly on the frame where the attack is supposed to be making contact with the enemy to make the hit feel more impactful, like the effect a lot of fighting games have where the game pauses momentarily when you strike your opponent. Or, if you wanted to make an attack where you were supposed to be summoning someone, you could use the "Screen Center" animation type and have the animation pause for a relatively long time on a frame with the summoned character striking a pose. The effect would be similar to what Disgaea uses for high-level magic (the "Omega" and "Tera" tiers.)

(This was inspired by some of the criticism of The Wobbler's Walthros: Renewal demo, where people said that battles felt uneventful and attacks felt too weak. I've found myself that it's hard to make attacks feel impactful given the limited options for animation; using the "Dash In" attacker animation definitely helps, but it just doesn't make sense to use for a lot of things, like attacks with a ranged weapon.)

Though, if attack animations could be expanded to more than 3 frames, the same effects could be accomplished just by putting in several identical frames in a row. That would be kind of a kludgey solution, but it would work.
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Could a bitset for attacks be added where, if the attack misses or fails, it doesn't display the "miss" or "fail" text strings? I made a couple things that use dummy attacks to check if someone has elemental effect lesser than 50%, basically to determine whether they're wearing reflective armor, and fails if they don't. It works fine, but it keeps saying "fail" even after telling it to not display damage.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I'm sure this is already pinned somewhere to the board, but I'd like to at least be able to choose the textbox style and transparency setting for all the standard special screens like Status, Spells, etc.

As it is, I usually change all the box styles to be all black with the same colored outline for consistency. I've never liked the "translucent box" setting for a number of reasons.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Built-in menus aren't very mouse-friendly, in my opinion. Keyboard controls and mouse controls pretty much operate independently, so it feels weird to have both enabled in a menu. Is there a reason the menu item under the mouse cursor doesn't become the "selected menu item"? It looks confusing, depending on the game, when one menu item is flashing: selected by keyboard cursor, and one is tinted: hovered over by mouse cursor.

It'd be real nice to be able to make menus share mouse and keyboard controls. Menus with the "highlight selection" bitset only highlight items that the keyboard cursor is selecting, for example. Details like this make mouse support feel optional and secondary. This was a big reason I did fully scripted menus for Katja's Abyss, because mouse controls are primary in that game.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

"Imagination. Life is your creation."