OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Re: OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Post by TMC »

Thank goodness, finally someone discussing that. I really don't know what to do with Jump/Land, because it's such a bad impression of jumping. It's more like "disappear/reappear vertically". What if you don't want enemies/heroes at left/right? Probably we should also add a proper Jump (arced) as a single animation. The plan is to allow the animation editor to define some movement as well, but most of existing attack/attacker animations are probably going to require (battle)scripts to replicate anyway, so that's another longterm goal.
Anyway, being able to make combatants disappear and reappear in the same way as jump/land is an obvious feature, so I was planning to add new Appear/Disappear attacker animations.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:59 pm Thank goodness, finally someone discussing that. I really don't know what to do with Jump/Land, because it's such a bad impression of jumping. It's more like "disappear/reappear vertically". What if you don't want enemies/heroes at left/right? Probably we should also add a proper Jump (arced) as a single animation. The plan is to allow the animation editor to define some movement as well, but most of existing attack/attacker animations are probably going to require (battle)scripts to replicate anyway, so that's another longterm goal.
Anyway, being able to make combatants disappear and reappear in the same way as jump/land is an obvious feature, so I was planning to add new Appear/Disappear attacker animations.
Adding existing attack animations as on-death animations and changing attack animations to use on-death animations would work, and it'd provide more flexibility to both attacks and death animations.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

By "attack animations" I assume you mean attacker animations such as Jump/Land.
Isn't Jump the only one of the attacker animations that makes sense as a death animation? And likewise dissolves as attacker animations would only be alternatives to Jump (which makes the attacker invisible and untargetable)?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

That's mostly true, but I could see people wanting a monster to twirl around before dying or something. The bigger problem is that death animations don't have a target, so "dash in" won't work even though I might reasonably want my monsters to appear to merge together or possess a hero.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

This would be another non essential nice to have thing: The ability to change music mid battle, presumably tied to an attack. I'm thinking of an enemy dying and turning into something else and the battle music changing without having to exit the battle and start another, like a big multi form final boss
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Duplicating enemies and items in Custom works so smoothly and it's great to have, would it be possible to add that feature to menus? I use a lot of the same bitsets and choices across multiple menus so it's a lot of repetitive work right now.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

A screenshot I saw for another game engine and a comment made in the H release update thread got me thinking about a UI improvement that could speed up the map creation process. In particular, I'm thinking about wall-mapping.

In the H release thread, a comment was made about the large black space in CUSTOM being useful for laying tile on a map. I was thinking the same could be said of laying wallmaps, but the traditional act of holding CTRL + Arrow to place one can still take some time.

The screenshot I saw for another engine referenced 3D isometric graphics, but it had long unbroken purple edges defining object boundaries.

It got me thinking:

-What if we could ALSO draw wallmaps with a pen tool, similar to how drawing vector lines work in photo editing software? Click one edge, click another, and wall off anything that lies between. With a larger viewing space, I'd think this would be reasonable to add. (And if this is already possible, just note that it's been a while since I've had any time to use the engine, and even longer since I've used wallmapping. But if it isn't, it should be, especially now that the mouse is usable. But it doesn't matter which is which because my next point is the REAL suggestion.)

-What if implementing a pen tool for wallmaps could lead to...curves? I'll leave it up to your imagination about why this might be useful, especially for pixel-perfect gameplay. But again, if you think about how drawing vector lines in a photo editing tool can lead to some interesting shapes with just a few clicks and drags, you can see how flexible wallmapping could get with just a bit more functionality.

With the engine evolving as much as it has, I'd certainly like to see it handle more fine-tuned functionality, UI, and player experience (stopping at the invisible right angle at the bottom-left of that circle is awkward), and I think this is another way to improve its user appeal.

So, just thought I'd share the idea in case anyone wants to tackle it.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The map editor does currently support using the mouse like a pen to draw walls. The walls still go along the edge of the tiles, but it works nicely
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I asked this in Discord but Bena said it's likely not possible.

Is it possible to add transparency settings to enemies and attacks in the editor portion of the game? Like if you want to shoot a laser beam/fire ball and it not just be pixel art but look cooler? I had this weird idea to fight like this bad guy with a pool of water that gave him power and it could be cool to show an animated backdrop but use an overlay type enemy to show the changed colors or whatever. Just curious if this is a feasible task since we can do it for slices in the slice editor.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Rmz... did you know you are among the elite few people on this planet that has a grasp of the hamster speak language? That's like less than .000000000001% of the population, it's beyond ultra rare foil prestigious. You can code transparent enemies and attacks. We believe in you. Except Spoon. He doesn't believe in you.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

charbile wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:26 pm Except Spoon. He doesn't believe in you.
It's true.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Been thinking about battle readability issues of late, specifically how using Standing Cast/Standing Strike with enemies kinda obscures which one in a group is doing the attacking.

How difficult would a 'treats Standing Cast/Strike as non-standing version' bitset for enemies [or as a general tag for all enemies] be to implement?
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

It should be easier to distinguish enemy actions when we can animate them
hope y'all are practicing
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Would it be possible to add an option for where projectiles originate as a part of a hero/enemy attack?
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

There was some discussion about people using debug keys in Tim-Tim 2 and whether Spoonweaver intended for you to be able to look at the map of each area by pushing F1, and it occurred to me that it might be useful to be able to enable individual debug keys for a game, instead of just having them all on or all off (or all off except F12 / Shift+F12, because it seems that those still work even with the "enable debugging keys" bit in "Edit General Game Settings" -> "Preference Bitsets" turned off.)

I think that, for some games, it might be useful to enable the map, quicksave, and quickload keys, and the ability to zoom to 1x, 2x, 3x, or 4x, without enabling options like walking through walls and instantly winning battles that can be used to completely break a game, or options like editing the slice tree that will just confuse anyone who hasn't made an OHRRPGCE game themselves.
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants