Tim-Tim 2 Dev Thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Nice bosses!
That worm one reminds me heavily of another boss...

It seems pretty odd that the skeleton boss shoots projectiles larger than he is.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Yea neither one is really done and you've hit the nail on head on most of the things left to do.
First, yes I will be adding dirt animation for the worm. Possible fiery dirt animation.
Second, the graphics for the worm are placeholder as the first actual ones I made turned out bad so I scraped them to try again.
Third, the graphics for the skeleton's projectiles are place holder too. This is because the actual projectile scripts I use are reused from other projectile scripting int he game, and I hadn't fully decided on which ones to use until very recently so I hadn't drawn new graphics for them yet, only palette swapped the old graphics. Glad you like them.

I've been doing a lot of things that are hard to show here but mainly I'm down to mapping. Lots of mapping.

After that, and finishing up all the bosses I'll only need to polish up the narrative and I'll have a finished game.
I do still have a lot of work to do for the mapping, bosses, and narrative though.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Still working on this btw....

Anyways I think I found what might be some sort of bug? Hard to say...

What happens is that when I create and change too many npcs on the map at a time there seem to lose their palette.
I've attached a gif and it might be hard to see, but the steam towards the middle is blue and purple when it should be white.
I'm not sure anything I'm doing would cause this, but it's possible.

Also, try to ignore the fact that I have no health and an impossible amount of potions.
Attachments
Tim-Tim20007.gif
Tim-Tim20007.gif (281.64 KiB) Viewed 3689 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That looks really cool!

I had to zoom in on the gif before I could see the discoloration, but I do see it.

So those puffs of steam are each NPCs?

Do they use default palettes? (-1)

Are you able to tell which pallette they change too. Is it pallette zero?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, that looks fun.

Trying pressing Pause to pause the game then use the F6 NPC debugger and Ctrl-F4 slice debugger to inspect those NPCs to see whether you can spot what's wrong. NPC sprites should all have the same palette as the npc definition, unless you've manually changed the sprite slice palette.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

So, turns out I'm an idiot!

First, I started off looking at the npcs in debug mode. I've attached the screens of this.
They looked just like all the other npcs on the screen. I couldn't figure out why they were showing up as a different color when it was saying they were the same default palette.
So I decided to go through all the palettes to see which one it was being turned into. I went into the editor and selected the first image in the walkabout group and started to cycle through the the palettes, but none of them matches what I was seeing. So I exited that view, sort of perplexed by what to look at next and assuming it was really a bug. Then I saw it. Turns out the left facing walkabout sprite was just colored a different color...
I'm not sure when or why I did that but it's possible it's been like that for a long time and I've just never placed an ice block facing left. See, I only made 3 different ice block textures so I never had a reason to place the extra copied texture stored in the left slot. But this map had so many of the blocks I was randomly assigning them a direction rather than methodically doing it.

Anyways, long story short, I had actually colored the npcs myself and just didn't notice. :V
Attachments
Tim-Tim20009.png
Tim-Tim20009.png (9.28 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
Tim-Tim20010.png
Tim-Tim20010.png (10.79 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Whoa, that's looking FIRE :p
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah, I'll add the NPC direction and frame number to the NPC debug info, that would have helped (if you'd noticed).

And gosh that overlay looks messy due to the fuzzy rect. I'm doing something about that too...
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Glad I could help with debug mode development TMC.

In other news I think the lava is finally looking acceptable.
Attachments
Tim-Tim20013.gif
Tim-Tim20013.gif (85.38 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Guess i should post my stuff here instead of in the show off your graphics thread....
Attachments
Tim-Tim20015.gif
Tim-Tim20015.gif (139.79 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Eeee! That looks really cool!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Thanks! :V
I think it looks a lot better than the place holder graphics I was using.

Also, I just noticed that I'm showing off how I cheat while testing the game. (empty lifebar)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Skeletal magma eel?
If you get unlikely, it could appear right beneath you? But maybe not impossible to react in time. Good for keeping players on their toes!
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Impressive tile/grid-breaking!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

TMC wrote:Skeletal magma eel?
If you get unlikely, it could appear right beneath you? But maybe not impossible to react in time. Good for keeping players on their toes!
Yea, I thought on this for a while, but I mean, you got health. it's not a one hit kill. It's ok to be a little unfair. ...right?
Impressive tile/grid-breaking!
thank you! :V