Vorpal Florist - Playtesting thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Diretooth
Red Slime

Post by Diretooth »

Anvil Studio's pretty good as a midi maker, there's a bit of a learning curve, especially if you don't know how to make music, but it's not bad.
May the Moon light your path, and the Shadows hide you from your prey.

Posgagen urzefa Posyosriig ahgesqizeur genyouldr Jiikyouldr, gariigig urzefa Sazegaigyouldsa zegesigfe genyould fr'yopos genyouldr jiikrfagen.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I just posted a new update to the Vorpal Florist http://hamsterrepublic.com/tmp/vorpalfl ... aytest.zip

It is now playable up to the second boss. The game has approximately doubled in length from the old demo, and there are 7 new enemies, 1 new boss, and a handful of new items.

There have been some small changes to the first part of the game, so if you re-play from the beginning, you might find some new stuff.

If you don't want to re-play the beginning, or if you never could beat the first boss, here is a save right after the first boss: http://hamsterrepublic.com/tmp/vorpal-s ... t-boss.zip

Any feedback is welcome.

I have been working on this game for 10 months now. I had hoped to finish the second boss at the 6 month mark, so I am definitely behind schedule, but I am happy to still be making progress.
Attachments
vorpalflorist-green-knights.png
vorpalflorist-green-knights.png (6.5 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
vorpalflorist-hedge-bunny.png
vorpalflorist-hedge-bunny.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
vorpalflorist-spikes.png
vorpalflorist-spikes.png (8.68 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
vorpalflorist-necros-root.png
vorpalflorist-necros-root.png (6.7 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Wow, these new areas look even better than the old ones. I'll be sure to play this as soon as I get a chance.
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

You made THIS with the OHR? Wow. I really need to step up my game! ;)
Sent from my iPhone
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Taco Bot wrote:You made THIS with the OHR? Wow. I really need to step up my game! ;)
New people really need to play more OHR games. Does everyone see the need for an OHR Bundle now?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Games like this and Bell of Chaos, Tim-Tim, etc. are the ones that made me stick with OHR. There really is so much potential with the OHR to do almost anything as long as it's in 2 dimensions. I've heard James mention its limitations but those limits are much higher than anything I'm currently capable of accomplishing. I think the bundle is a great idea.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

kylekrack wrote:There really is so much potential with the OHR to do almost anything as long as it's in 2 dimensions.
There's a tech demo here that animates a "Boulderbeast" in 3D, actually...
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Here is the link to it. www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=65537

I wonder what ever happened to Bagne/TwirlySocrates? I seem to remember he had a really cool game in-progress. The Boulder Beast was just one effect to be used in the game
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Fun fun. I'll have to mess around with this sometime and blab my concerns toward you once more.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Froginator
Slime Knight

Post by Froginator »

Awesome game, James! I don't know how you came up with this flower-enemy idea, but that's not necessary to love it!
I've been waiting for this game since you posted the video about the ghost orchid on YouTube. And I can say the wating was worth it, just for this awesome demo.
:D
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Mogri wrote:
kylekrack wrote:There really is so much potential with the OHR to do almost anything as long as it's in 2 dimensions.
There's a tech demo here that animates a "Boulderbeast" in 3D, actually...
Actually, I've seen this, but I forgot. I guess it would be better for me to say it doesn't use voxels or vectors or anything.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I love platformers so I'll give this game a try.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I really like it so far. My only real gripe is that the jump and attack keys feel awkward, layout-wise. Have you tried something like Z and X for jump and attack?

Also, for some reason Vorpal Florist starts gobbling up CPU cycles and going about 1-2 frames per second if I switch window focus and then switch back. Other games don't seem to do that. Rather weird.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

It's really irritating to die and have the application kill itself instead of restarting the game.

All the enemies with projectiles feel super awkward to fight against. I couldn't land even a single hit against the carrot men.

The controls feel pretty good overall and the game feels reminiscent of the old Castlevania games (for good and for bad), right down to the awkward staircases (which at the least you can get onto from a jump).

And one problem I'm experiencing which you can't do anything about is people constantly trying to PM me in IRC while I'm trying to have fun in a game.
(10:43:19 PM) ***Nathan is playing a game.
(10:45:19 PM) fox815_: what game
(10:45:47 PM) Nathan: It's called "Vorpal Florist"
(10:46:12 PM) fox815_: never heard of it
(10:46:24 PM) Nathan: That's because it's a new game in demo phase.
(10:46:34 PM) fox815_: oh
This problem also happens when I try to play Spelunky. Only workaround I can see is to become even more antisocial than I already am; for now I'm just going to try putting up with it.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Foxley wrote:Also, for some reason Vorpal Florist starts gobbling up CPU cycles and going about 1-2 frames per second if I switch window focus and then switch back. Other games don't seem to do that. Rather weird.
Oh! Ichiro reported the same problem, except that it happened in all games. So it's very interesting and informative that you only experience the problem with Vorpal Florist. Which graphics and music backends are you using? If you don't know, then you're using the defaults. And which OS/OS version are you using?