C. Kane - 2.0 Now on Steam!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Congrats man. Looking forward to the Steam release.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The OHR is taking over the world!
Congrats Surlaw.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks bros, Steam version for Windows is live: http://store.steampowered.com/app/385030/

Will work on getting Mac and Linux versions up soon.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I suddenly saw it on the store front page! And bought it.

Does OHRRPGCE still not have proper controller support? I have a PS4 controller mimicking a 360 controller with DS4Windows in Windows 7, no input works. Oddly enough I was able to use the super old Ctrl+J thing and get input for about 30 seconds and then it just stopped.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Unfortunately I have not touched the controller code in years, it is definitely due for some serious cleanup.

I don't actually own a suitable controller, so I don't know how I am going to test it.

It seems like most people use Playstation/Xbox controllers, and I am not even sure the proper way to connect those to a windows computer

As for the CTRL+J screen, that has not been updated since the DOS days, but it does do one important thing, which is to simply enable joystick support (which is turned off by default)

Why joysticks would start working, and then stop working 30 seconds later is a complete mystery to me.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Mac and Linux versions are now live! Going to try to figure out the Steam Trading Cards stuff next, that seems to be something people want.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

The Wobbler wrote:Mac and Linux versions are now live! Going to try to figure out the Steam Trading Cards stuff next, that seems to be something people want.
Card shark? :hurr:
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I'm going to have to pick this game up when I get a chance, it looks fun. Truly the Citizen Kane of games.

Also on the topic of controllers I haven't used controllers with OHR in forever, but I remember having issues with them not reading input for a while after the ctrl-J screen. Also joy2key didn't work at all, so maybe OHR has problems with input reading/mimicking programs? This was back in 2013(?) so I dunno what's different with newer programs.
Working as intended!
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Idontknow wrote:I'm going to have to pick this game up when I get a chance, it looks fun. Truly the Citizen Kane of games.

Also on the topic of controllers I haven't used controllers with OHR in forever, but I remember having issues with them not reading input for a while after the ctrl-J screen. Also joy2key didn't work at all, so maybe OHR has problems with input reading/mimicking programs? This was back in 2013(?) so I dunno what's different with newer programs.
I can confirm that joy2key works now. At least with my setup.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Idontknow wrote:I'm going to have to pick this game up when I get a chance, it looks fun. Truly the Citizen Kane of games.
I picked up my copy just the other night and you should make haste to do the same. The whole world looks brighter when you're a Patron of the True Arts!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Bought it, boss.
(Don't remember Steam asking for as much useless billing information as paypal)

BTW the OSX version theoretically ought to work on OS 10.4. I can't remember anyone ever confirming that, though.
Bob the Hamster wrote:I don't actually own a suitable controller, so I don't know how I am going to test it.
Well I guess that explains it! I guess we can just make some improvements blind, and get other people to test it :). I remember years ago I created a little utility to report all the output of fbgfx's joystick functions and then sent it to Fyre to say what he saw, which actually worked really well... and then I probably never actually did anything.

Isn't it still the case that you can't run from battles with a joystick?

Is there actually any reason we can't just enable joysticks 100% of the time?
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The reason we left gamepads and joysticks disabled by default:

* people would complain about an arrow key being stuck down all the time and it would turn out they had an un-centered joystick. This was probably a DOS only problem and does not matter any more

* people would complain about the use or cancel button being stuck, and it would turn out that their gamepad had a turbo/autofire switch. This might not matter for modern gamepads, I don't know.

We could enable by default right after callipygous and see how it goes.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

When reviewing Kane, be sure to specify who you dated within the game, and why. 🍔
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Bob the Hamster wrote:The reason we left gamepads and joysticks disabled by default:

* people would complain about an arrow key being stuck down all the time and it would turn out they had an un-centered joystick. This was probably a DOS only problem and does not matter any more

* people would complain about the use or cancel button being stuck, and it would turn out that their gamepad had a turbo/autofire switch. This might not matter for modern gamepads, I don't know.

We could enable by default right after callipygous and see how it goes.
For the first issue, I'm not sure if you could implement an analog input deadzone. I remember having an issue in I think Psychonauts where I was playing with K+M and was like "why the hell is the camera panning really slowly for no reason?" Turns out my old beat up Dualshock I was using with a USB adapter had a messed up right analog stick, and I had to disable it. If there was an analog input deadzone, the game wouldn't even have been getting that 'input' from the analog stick.

For the second issue, I don't think anyone uses hardware turbo/autofire switches anymore... it's a very 1990s feature, most autofire is either in the game itself or in stuff like Joy2Key, or emulators.

Looking forward to it being enabled!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

If anyone has played yet I would appreciate feedback and/or a Thumb on Steam.