Yo Ghost

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Lord Fyroa
Red Slime

Yo Ghost

Post by Lord Fyroa »

Well, I just uploaded Yo Ghost, It's just a minor update but...
Tell me what you think.
"Done like your mom!"
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

I'll be giving you my full, uncensored thoughts in glorious review form.

Edit: I should probably link it, http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3743
Last edited by Sh4d0ws on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
G-Wreck
Slime Knight

Post by G-Wreck »

Looks much better than your old version. Your story seemed well developed, but you might work on its presentation: especially the intro.

Starting the game by reading fifteen textboxes was a bit overwhelming. It really confused me more than it helped me understand the setting, and I was already tired by the time the game actually started.

I bet if you trimmed-down your intro to just the bare minimal pieces of information that the player needs to know to figure out where they are and what their goal is, it will grab their attention much faster. Adding something for the player to watch will help as well, since it allows them to visualize what you're explaining.

Then, as they play through the game you can gradually feed them more of your backstory through dialogue with NPCs, other playable characters, during major cutscenes, etc.

That was the only thing that looked like it might be a problem later. Everything else seems to be coming along great. Keep it up.
Email contributions to the OHR Collab project to:

ohrcollab@gmail.com

All contributions will be recorded in the credits.
Lord Fyroa
Red Slime

Post by Lord Fyroa »

G-Wreck wrote:Looks much better than your old version. Your story seemed well developed, but you might work on its presentation: especially the intro.

Starting the game by reading fifteen textboxes was a bit overwhelming. It really confused me more than it helped me understand the setting, and I was already tired by the time the game actually started.
Yeah..I need to be carefull with the story. I want it to be good(duh)but I also want to have a complex plot. I just want it to be unique. Sadly my plotscripting knowlage limits me in that area. As where I have the enemy NPC chase you(EX:The first Yo Ghost in the begininng) I would prefer to plotscript a chase scene, through that I could have more story incorporated in a smoother manner. Does anyone know of a good plotscript tutorial?

Thanks for the comment.
"Done like your mom!"
G-Wreck
Slime Knight

Post by G-Wreck »

The Hamster Wheel's articles are very helpful for a number of things. I've spent a lot of time reading here.

The Mooglry is another good resource for plotscripting.
Email contributions to the OHR Collab project to:

ohrcollab@gmail.com

All contributions will be recorded in the credits.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

G-Wreck wrote:The Hamster Wheel's articles are very helpful for a number of things. I've spent a lot of time reading here.
I didn't even know about this. I thought the Hamster Wheel got shut down years ago for some reason or another. Good to see it's still here!
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

You should also check out the wiki's tutorial. It'll teach you basic syntax and declaration, and how to run your script.

After you've practiced moving NPCs and whatnot, you should try some of the more advanced tutorials. Or do what I did and just play around with different commands in the plotdictionary ;)

Oh, and don't be afraid to peek into Viking's script files, either.
Lord Fyroa
Red Slime

Post by Lord Fyroa »

Ok, I did what the Wiki said, but when I import it nothing changes. It doesn't say "When you choose PSTUTOR.HS, you will see the name of the script, "helloworld", and it will say "1 script imported sucessfully"" Specifically "1 script imported sucessfully".

I'm lost and frustrated. :???:
"Done like your mom!"
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

Don't get frustrated!

you need to be a little clearer.
You imported it, and it said "1 script imported", right?

Well after you do that, you need to get it run. OHR doesn't know automagically where you want the script to run from, so you need to tell it! Look back at the wiki; It should tell you all the ways you can run a script.
Lord Fyroa
Red Slime

Post by Lord Fyroa »

No I mean its not saying "1 script imported sucessfully" when I import it.
"Done like your mom!"
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

Did you compile it?
NeoSpade
Slime Knight

Post by NeoSpade »

Sorry for asking a slightly stupid question but; did you save it as a script or a plotscript?

Does the name of the script actually appear when it says it was imported, or?
Lord Fyroa
Red Slime

Post by Lord Fyroa »

Ok, I got it. Thanks for the help.
"Done like your mom!"
Skullduggery Studios
Metal Slime

Post by Skullduggery Studios »

Dude, I can also help w/plotscripting if you want. I can move NPCs, heroes, change wallmaps, tweak pallets, and use slices.

Oh yeah. And I have no idea when I'll get the music up. But I HAVE mixed two really good tracks.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Yo!
Attachments
KnightSlights2 mediumenemy set 25.bmp
KnightSlights2 mediumenemy set 25.bmp (1.48 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
Working as intended!