Hype Up Your Game Thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:Please don't mention redoing the walkabouts with walktall or custom sizes. :zombie:
I hope not. I want to play the finished Vikings before I have any grandchildren, haha. Good luck cleaning up the cut scenes, and I'm hyped for the Freki change. (I'd rather see her join earlier than the point before the halfway dungeon, buuuut that's just me. :v: )

Anyways, I'm taking a break from my personal game because of RGC shenanigans, but here's what Part 2 (Part 1 was the hotohr entry) Damien will look like. Some of the other characters will get new outfits too.
Attachments
Like American Kirby, giving Damien angry eyebrows makes him 300% edgier
Like American Kirby, giving Damien angry eyebrows makes him 300% edgier
edgy_damien_184.png (930 Bytes) Viewed 7396 times
Last edited by Idontknow on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Working as intended!
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

<3 you Feeen!

I might be convinced to remaster some of the Vikings music. Haha, some of the things in there annoy me now.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Omg please do! I'd love a remaster of the Vikings OST, it's one of my all time favorite game soundtracks.

I used to like, listen to it on my phone with a janky old midi playing app while waiting for class, and even used one of those midi to mp3 converters to put the music into Smash Bros on Wii. A remaster would be sooo amazing.
Last edited by Idontknow on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working as intended!
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Well, you've inspired me! A remaster might actually turn into an overhaul, though haha. Not sure if audio would be viable in OHR, but I retooled the intro to the title screen music today, (I had way too much nonsense going on in the background, and a host of dissonant notes), and used a vst:

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-d ... p?song=475
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

ArtimusBena wrote:Well, you've inspired me! A remaster might actually turn into an overhaul, though haha. Not sure if audio would be viable in OHR, but I retooled the intro to the title screen music today, (I had way too much nonsense going on in the background, and a host of dissonant notes), and used a vst:

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-d ... p?song=475
Sounds fine by me! Actually, almost has a sort of "chanting" feeling to it when the melody kicks in!
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Went back through and revamped the ENTIRE weapons and armor lists, repriced it all, and made sure each piece of equipment is sold somewhere. More importantly, they now show up in ~roughly~ a sensible order when found, so that you've got the chance to buy them before heading into the next story dungeon where they'd actually be useful. This should also help somewhat to cut down all the excess items you're carrying around "just in case" they're needed, but you never actually end up using them.

Also edited every shop so you don't NEED the crafting materials to make the item in question. This was one of the larger complaints, and while it was a cool idea in theory, in practice it was kind of a pain in the neck from a player standpoint. The crafting materials will probably get used at some enormous magical anvil somewhere (probably in the Dwarf town, for thematic purposes) where you could literally turn them into whatever items you want. I'm thinking if you took the time to grind up dozens of materials, you should be able to buy endgame equipment early on.

This also means I'm going to have to go back and test out every monster formation with (A) the equipment you're expected to have at the time you run into it, (B) the best stuff you COULD have, and (C) only the stuff you find directly on the way that doesn't require hunting for - ie: the speedrunner/lazy player approach.
Attachments
Why this place doesn't look familiar AT ALL...
Why this place doesn't look familiar AT ALL...
Viking0010.png (29.21 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Goofing around testing some blobby bros
Attachments
Bob1998.gif
Bob1998.gif (730.24 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
ezgif-2-9c31940a4ca6.gif
ezgif-2-9c31940a4ca6.gif (1016.32 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
Walthros20190001.gif
Walthros20190001.gif (633.67 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Since we can resize sprites I decided to do something silly:

Small Enemies are all rodents, even though the Mother Lode Rat is 150x150 pixels

Medium Enemies are most other enemies, be they predatory animals or whatever

Large Enemies are humans, whose sprites thus far are all 50x50
Attachments
&amp;quot;Medium enemies&amp;quot;
&quot;Medium enemies&quot;
OHRodents0010.png (4.88 KiB) Viewed 7213 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

SOME graphic updates.
Attachments
The wintry forest.
The wintry forest.
Viking0005.png (63.73 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
Glowy!
Glowy!
Viking backdrop5b.png (45.03 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
The darkened forest...
The darkened forest...
Viking0007.png (66.17 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
BLOOD OCEAN
BLOOD OCEAN
Viking0001.png (22.91 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Those Vikings updates are gorgeous

Maptile test for the new game: I really do not enjoy drawing tiles but I'm doing this one solo. It's more or less the only way this project can happen at all. Right now the music is the only part that I won't be making.
Attachments
Salom.gif
Salom.gif (22.09 KiB) Viewed 7024 times
Walthros20190002.gif
Walthros20190002.gif (1.94 MiB) Viewed 7024 times
WalthrosTest.gif
WalthrosTest.gif (1.52 MiB) Viewed 7037 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

A new Walthros game!
Accomodating extra wide sprites (and of course these Walthrusian fish are a lot fatter than humans) with the tileset like that works really well. Am I seeing this right, are you using a script to push apart the hero and NPC when you talk to an NPC, so they won't overlap? That's really nice.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:A new Walthros game!
Accomodating extra wide sprites (and of course these Walthrusian fish are a lot fatter than humans) with the tileset like that works really well. Am I seeing this right, are you using a script to push apart the hero and NPC when you talk to an NPC, so they won't overlap? That's really nice.
Thanks! The script checks if there's a wall behind the hero or the NPC to determine who to push away; if there's no wall, it's the NPC that gets pushed. It looked weird when they'd overlap during conversation so I had to figure something out. North/south interactions look fine so no one moves.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I decided to go back to my RPG roots and make a game inspired by the first two RPGs I ever played, Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 on the GameBoy Color. The game features such features as a reduced screen resolution, text boxes two lines tall, and many sprites being smaller than the standard box for them.

Using turn-based combat here rather than my usual "Active-time combat but with pausing on all menus".

Going to go with minimal attack animations, focusing more on captions for battle presentation.
Attachments
Nathan Warrior0018.png
Nathan Warrior0018.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
Nathan Warrior0019.png
Nathan Warrior0019.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
This is what cutscene backdrops look like before importing. Had to experiment a bit to figure out how the engine crops non-standard backdrops.
This is what cutscene backdrops look like before importing. Had to experiment a bit to figure out how the engine crops non-standard backdrops.
Nathan Warrior Backdrop 003.png (6.13 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
Plot is going to be very straightforward. Achievable goals help keep a project focused and manageable.
Plot is going to be very straightforward. Achievable goals help keep a project focused and manageable.
Nathan Warrior0017.png (3.48 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
I drew that slime sprite a long time ago for another GB-style Dragon Warrior fan game.
I drew that slime sprite a long time ago for another GB-style Dragon Warrior fan game.
Nathan Warrior0001.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
Same tileset as OHRodents. I think I'm going to scrap that and not have Nathan be &amp;quot;out of scale&amp;quot; to the rest of the game.
Same tileset as OHRodents. I think I'm going to scrap that and not have Nathan be &quot;out of scale&quot; to the rest of the game.
Nathan Warrior0004.png (3.84 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
splendidland
Red Slime

Post by splendidland »

Working on a new little game called Amazing Treasure Valley!
In the game, you wander around, and find treasure, in an amazing valley!
At the start of the game, you answer a quiz to determine the look of your "Puppet Body".
Amazing Treasure Valley is set somewhere else. Another world where people go to when they want to get away from modern life. It's impossible to exist there without a special body!
With all the combinations of Heads, Faces, Bodies, and Colour Palettes, there's just over 11,000 different ways you can look!
And of course, there's plenty of interesting people to meet!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Looks Fantastic!

What ever happened with tender caves of death though?