Hype Up Your Game Thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Meowskivich wrote:
Nathan Karr wrote:What, only three pages of hype since my last login? I am disappoint.

Maybe it's time for me to come out of OHRtirement, broken Escape key or no!
alternatively, there is alt
Doesn't work for exiting menus within the editior, so far as I'm aware.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Or running from enemies in battle. Though, you can work around that by making a custom Run command using attacks, at least.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Nathan Karr wrote:
Meowskivich wrote:
Nathan Karr wrote:What, only three pages of hype since my last login? I am disappoint.

Maybe it's time for me to come out of OHRtirement, broken Escape key or no!
alternatively, there is alt
Doesn't work for exiting menus within the editior, so far as I'm aware.
Run the "On-Screen Keyboard" program. As long as you don't run the OHR full-screen, you can click the "ESC" button on the On-Screen Keyboard.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

And that will work with Custom as well as Game?

Anyway, I had a village of mice in my game so I decided it'd be a perfect place to put cameos from many of my favorite OHR rodents past. I won't name names, but I will say I decided to re-download Walthros in order to refresh my memory of how one of them looked.
Attachments
Example of the most obvious cameo.
Example of the most obvious cameo.
Nathan is Great0027.PNG (8.29 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Well, I've recently started the actual development of the game Stand, which I started making with OHR about two and a half years ago. Before now I never was able to make a sidescrolling engine, so I gave up on it. But that's changed, thanks to help from many people here, especially TMC, who went out of his way to help me figure stuff out a lot, and I really appreciate it. In fact, the time you put into helping me is enough motivation for me to finish this game and make it good, so that time you spent wasn't wasted.

Anyway, enough gushing. Sorry, but I'm just really excited about this game.

Stand stars the character Ivan, a miner in the small village of Nordham. He lives alone, for his wife was lost years ago to a common illness, and his family has all either passed away or left the country. Ivan is skilled however, and looked up to by many. If anyone could navigate a mine, Ivan could.

However this all changed on the night of a powerful storm. Ivan wakes to discover that miners have been trapped by a cave-in while trying to retrieve equipment from the mine. Everyone trusts Ivan to save them, so he comes to the rescue. The only way to the trapped miners is through an untraveled mineshaft, full of darkness and lurking creatures.

In the shaft, however, Ivan discovers something besides the trapped miners. He can't quite explain what the room was that he stumbled into, and he can't explain the voice he heard, and the sights he saw. Something is living inside the mountain of Nordham village; something bitter; something with a grudge. It's up to Ivan to find out whatever it is. Perhaps it's a monster, or a beast. Or perhaps it is Ivan himself.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

He looks like Mega Man.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Neat cameo. Yes, the on-screen keyboard should work with any program. (Though we ought to make the keys remappable... especially since the keys are all wrong on a non-US keyboard.)

You've only just started on Stand?! It sure looked like a game already! It's nice to see you have plenty planned for it. At the beginning I was worried that your silence indicated you'd dropped it and disappeared. Do the elevators still need fixing? Shouldn't be too much trouble for me to have a look.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

@Nathan: That cameo makes me laugh :)

@kylekrack: That plot outline sounds interesting! I am looking forward to Stand
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I've only been asking questions on things I'm totally lost on. The elevators are actually functional. They aren't absolutely perfect, but they're good enough for me. What I'm struggling with now is the battle system. I made one that kind of works, but it's the bear minimum necessary for a battle system.

I actually plan for Stand to include a class system, based on the player's preference. From early on, you can put skill points into being a Miner, Explosives Expert, or an Athlete. Each class affects both your fighting technique and stats, and the way you deal with obstacles. A miner has high defense, and uses his tools to fight and tunnel his way through things. The explosives expert collects minerals from underground and herbs from the surface to fashion explosives, potions, etc. The athlete uses his bare hands and agility to navigate, climb, dodge, sneak, and run.

I have unfortunately been busy lately (my current English teacher is the devil incarnation) and haven't had time to sit down and script the necessary menus and spell lists to incorporate the class system. That is my plan for this weekend, so hopefully I can get an update out by Monday. My ultimate goal is to have the main story done by the end of November and submit it into the Heart of the OHR contest. So yes, I am still here and did not drop off the face of the earth :D

Also,
He looks like Mega Man.
I definitely just retextured a megaman sprite. I'm not the best with animation.
Ps. I love my wife
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I abandoned everything and now I'm working on Tim-Tim 2 "The Awesome Gnome".
Attachments
Tim-Tim20000.png
Tim-Tim20000.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

That looks great! DO you have parallax scrolling going on with background layers there?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I decided to forgo parrallax scrolling. That's one of the features that I decided to push to the third installment, along with most of the spells and items I had planned. Needed to cut some stuff in order to get progress going.
The ladders are working amazingly as well as most of tim-tim's animations.

Can I get some opinions of the mountain/rocks in this picture here?
Attachments
Tim-Tim20001.png
Tim-Tim20001.png (9.46 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I absolutely love the rock tiles. Both the solid rock, and the background rock. The brightness contrast works well.

I think it would be nice to also have a background rock texture with more smooth edges so you can mix and match it with the more crystaline looking background rock you already have
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Is parallax scrolling when the layers in the background scroll at different speeds like on snes games? I was thinking about incorporating that a while ago but decided I don't have the artistic ability for that.
Ps. I love my wife
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

kylekrack wrote:Is parallax scrolling when the layers in the background scroll at different speeds like on snes games? I was thinking about incorporating that a while ago but decided I don't have the artistic ability for that.
Try something simple as a test. Like tiny mountains in front of big mountains. and by mountains, I mean triangles.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V