SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Re: SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Post by RMZ »

Bena might be dead soon, but we'll have our game up before midnight EST tonight, which is before deadline.

He really wants that pillow, saying to me it's the thing he wants most that he doesn't actually want.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Forgot to credit Prifurin and Nullifi as composers for fishing 2. Updated the games list entry to reflect that. Their music is fantastic so go listen and appreciate it.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

mystery dungeon friends

I will find you.
I will put you in this game.
Attachments
rate my team
rate my team
peak_performance.png (117.42 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Totally unreasonable comments on the bits I played of each of the games:

Video Goose: Voiced dialogue meant I couldn't skip through it. I got my lanyard and then didn't know what else to get, which I suppose betrays my lack of service industry job experience. Also, what's the point of being a goose if my ability to honk is tied to interacting with stuff? also not even in the running for best white bird wearing a hat

Mystery Dungeon Friends: Okay, that's a funny way to introduce the gameplay loop. There's nothing here in terms of coherent gameplay yet, but I'm very excited to play it when it's done.

fishing 2 demo: Really like the vibes of this one. Fishing around is a bit of a pain without bait, and I only ended up catching one fish, but I did catch one in the end!

Dead Man's Tale: I played like two minutes so I'm *really* not giving this a fair shake. Feels overly fast, especially when you have four characters in play.

Mirror World: The dissolving text effect is neat, but results in every single text box taking way too long to get through. I can't tell if the non-damaging, non-defend/run abilities are doing anything, which seeing how they're a chunk of the available options is annoying. The harpy enemy would be playing to the judge if I was one.

Time Girl 1998: Also like the vibes of this one. I managed to get a pen by the time I called it a night, which in true adventure game fashion felt like a proper accomplishment.

STOAT.rpg: I have to agree with morpheuskitami in this: it's one-note, and once that joke stops it's combat is even worse than any of nathan's games I've played. I get the point, but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Landscape Champ '58: [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Hey folks, we had a couple bugs to squash. Feeling really solid, check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8251
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

Is Ancient Gondola Tablet a contest entry? I assumed it was when it was first added to the game list, because the idea of studying an ancient artifact fits with the "past" theme, but dantedynamite hasn't said anything about entering the contest.
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

polkakitty wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am Is Ancient Gondola Tablet a contest entry? I assumed it was when it was first added to the game list, because the idea of studying an ancient artifact fits with the "past" theme, but dantedynamite hasn't said anything about entering the contest.
yea, I had assumed it was, but wasn't 100% myself.
I'm fine with just including it anyways.
same goes for arti's dungeon game
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

DEADLINE IS OVER AND THE GAMES ARE IN!
The games are:

Atmans' Hyperspace Chronicle
by Eonhetwo

Video Goose
by RMZ

Mystery Dungeon Friends
by charbile

fishing 2 demo
by kylekrack

Dead Man's Tale
by Idontknow

Mirror World
by Ravancloak

Time Girl 1998
by pjbebi

STOAT.rpg
by Fenrir-Lunaris

Ancient Gondola Tablet
by dantedynamite

Landscape Champ '58
by Spoonweaver

Dungeon
by Arti

Judges!
TMC
Morpheus­Kitami
Giz

Judges, please play these games and then submit an ordered list of the games from best to worst in your opinion. How you come up with the list is completely up to you. You are free to discuss things with each other, or not.
Please let us know your progress within a week so we know what sort of timeline we can expect.

Holly, please begin preparations for judging in case there is another drop out.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Almost as many entries as we had for Heart! That's awesome! Congratulations to everybody.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Will be posting semi-reviews as I play them, with a finalized list of who is better than who following.

First on the agenda: Atman's Hyperspace Chronicle. Spoilers follow.

If you ever watched the Beastie Boys' music video for their song "Intergalactic", where scientists run from console to console, bickering and trying to operate a giant robot and thought "Boy, I wish that was me" then Atman's Hyperspace Chronicle might kind of scratch that itch. Your job, as the new pilot of a Jivanoid, is to stand between three screeching consoles. Keep the good numbers from going down. Keep the bad numbers from going up. and maybe, just maybe, enjoy a brief moment of silence before something breaks and it's right back into hell.

But wait! There's more! Whenever your ship arrives somewhere, the story starts. The collecting starts. The shooting starts. When I died in the first installment of this shooting segment, I was terrified. "Another five minutes of screeching?" but no! There's an auto-save system. A free blessing for you, from whatever power you recognize for that, Eonhetwo!

This game sounds awful, and make no mistake, it makes awful sounds. The computers are constantly emitting a warning tone or another, and your Jivanoid farts its way forward, but it's somehow endearing in a way that is hard to quantify on paper. There's a cool ambient "futuristic" noise that plays when everything is sitting idle and behaving, and it kind of let me know that Eon knows what they're doing and is deliberately teasing me.

It's the kind of game that could win at the Terrible Games Contest, and the kind of game that could get thrown out of the Terrible Games Contest for being too awful, but thanks to the right design decisions (Auto-save <3), polish (it didn't need shooting or collecting segments, but it's got 'em. And they work!), and outright charm, it's actually very good. I tried to smoke it all at once, that was a mistake, I have a terrible headache, but if you just take a hit every now and then, come back to it when you need a little more buzz, give things time to percolate, I get the feeling "Atman's Hyperspace Chronicle" could be a very good friend.
Attachments
It's that kind of game... who makes games that look like this
It's that kind of game... who makes games that look like this
Atmans Hyperspace Chronicle0002.png (58.29 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
Everything is verbose and weird like this and I love it.
Everything is verbose and weird like this and I love it.
Atmans Hyperspace Chronicle0004.png (48.31 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
&gt;:3
>:3
Atmans Hyperspace Chronicle0010.png (50.7 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
Ravancloak
Red Slime

Post by Ravancloak »

you can actually skip both effects for text boxes by pressing any button in mirror world
Have a flower! ^-^~* (she/her)
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

I wrote some reviews for the contest games, but I cannot post them. Should I dm the mods?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

kylekrack's fishing 2 demo

This is going to be a really good game when it's done. The menu is top notch, the dating sim stuff is appealing, and most importantly *HOLY sliming slime* does the fishing part look like a game. It is gorgeous. I don't like that when I fail a cast (or even succeed) I'm forced back into the menus and off the boat, it's hard to just sit back and try to reel 'em in, but I assume that's some kinda demo jitters that'll be shaken for the final project.

There's two ways to go about catching the fish. I hope it isn't a preview of the dating sim content to come. You can either put the hook in the water and wait for the fish to decide if they want to be hooked today, *or* you can chase the fish to the sides of the screen, and when they're unable to flee any further due to the map edge, manually position the hook in their mouth and drag 'em back to the boat.

Fun couple of minutes, beautiful atmosphere (though the boat captain is *dangerously* furry) but it's still very short of actual game status. Demo Kino.
Attachments
The title screen is beautiful
The title screen is beautiful
fishing20000.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
Oh no, I think it's one of those awful bean paste ones
Oh no, I think it's one of those awful bean paste ones
fishing20006.png (14.71 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Dangerously Furry