Taking suggestions for a custom battle system

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Dani :)
Slime

Taking suggestions for a custom battle system

Post by Dani :) »

I woke up one day and decided: "yeah, i'm going to make my own battle system".

It's been some time since then and it's progressing quite nicely, however, the objective has shifted, i started work on it to use in a game, the new objective is to make it an easy to customize system that mimics the way the default Ohr battle system works, but made in HSpeak and with extra features.

Current plans for out of Ohr stuff:

- Every participant in battle has a set of variables attached to them you can read and write to at will
- There's a part of the system made only to deal with buffs, when they cap, how long they last and how much each stack increases them.

Things i'm not implementing as of now:
- Active time battle and all things that come with it, though i might do it once it's finished.

posts with suggestions for features, the community's thoughts on it and tips on how to do things would be highly appreciated, i might even post the unfinished scripts once i'm feeling like it's taken a good shape.
no, i'm not making my avatar transparent, deal with it
Prifurin
Red Slime

Post by Prifurin »

For attaching variables you may want trying storing them in slices attached, to not have globals for every character and enemy cluttering up the spaces, check Pixel Walker by Kylecrack to see how it's done there: https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=130697
eight days a week
Slime

Already using such a thing, but thanks for the consideration.
Currently i use Kylekrack's slice array script along a version i slightly modified to create 2d arrays, i use one of those to store thehero and enemy stats in battle and a separate one for their variables, most of my array implementation might be a bit bad since i only started using them after creating a fake array with globals, though.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Combination attacks, whether Chrono Trigger-style (need specific characters) or Phantasy Star IV-style (need specific actions).

Party sizes of more than four.

Macros, where you can input actions outside of battle for characters to follow inside them.

Basically try and implement things that the Phantasy Star games did?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Re: Taking suggestions for a custom battle system

Post by TMC »

The progress you've been posting in Discord is really impressive!
Dani :) wrote:- Every participant in battle has a set of variables attached to them you can read and write to at will
- There's a part of the system made only to deal with buffs, when they cap, how long they last and how much each stack increases them.
These are both things that are eventually planned for the builtin battle system - the first one in particular is very powerful if things such as attack damage, effects, fail/miss, chaining, counterattacks/spawning, target preferences, etc. can be conditioned on the local variables/attributes of each combatant. Then people could create custom status effects. For example a spell that applies "levitate" giving immunity against attacks that fail vs levitate.
Because attacks to modify target elements get requested a lot, probably usually with the idea of using it this way.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slime

Re: Taking suggestions for a custom battle system

Hedera Helix wrote:Combination attacks, whether Chrono Trigger-style (need specific characters) or Phantasy Star IV-style (need specific actions).
On one hand i find it a great idea, on the other, i don't think it's that big of a deal to make that it needs to be supported natively, i'll keep in mind the suggestion and try to make so there's nothing in the code that'll stop someone for making that

Hedera Helix wrote: Party sizes of more than four.
It can gu up to six, i'll apologize for one thing, though, it will probably be a hassle to make it more than that, sorry.
Hedera Helix wrote: Macros, where you can input actions outside of battle for characters to follow inside them.
Great idea, i'll certainly do it once in battle menus and stuff are done
Hedera Helix wrote:Basically try and implement things that the Phantasy Star games did?
I never actually played a Phantasy Star, originally i had the intention to make it similar to Lunar, there's still some DNA of that in there, but i currently changed the philosophy to "copy the Ohr's systems", not based in any game in particular, though i might look into those games to see if there's anything there that would be cool to have natively.
TMC wrote:The progress you've been posting in Discord is really impressive!
Thanks, i'm currently taking a big long break due to school stuff abd also the fact that just thinking about coding all those bitsets makes me feel tired already, i didn't even finish the to do list, though i promise there'll be more progress when i get some free time, even if it takes a while, i put way too much work to give up.