Question about Copywrited Things

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Question about Copywrited Things

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

My main projects have been on hold for quite a while so that I can learn and develop more skills. I think the best way for me to do that is to learn from the pros. Ive re-made the beginning (nothing fancy at all) of Pokemon Yellow in OHR, as well as a one level Pac Man demo thing. Im currently making a 'Pokemon fan game' called Pokemon Power Purple, which is basically an alternate version of Red / Blue but with graphics from Fire Red and BW2. So far its going very well. Im also working on a 'companion game' to Pokemon Power Purple that is my own edit / upgrade / remake of the popular (and rare) EeveexTamagotchi Vpet. Im not perfect, so no one get too excited or anything. xD

Anyway, my question is: Im using all of these resources from places like Spriters-Resource. I have made my own artwork and mechanics and story + characters as well. Is it ok to post stuff like that here, as long as it stays in the community as a 'learning tool'? Im not making them for monetary gain at all. I just think that maybe I could help others? Even if my scripting and organization are a bit chaotic. xD

I know that Nintendo is especially protective and serious about their stuff...would it be better for me to refrain from posting my "copywrite protected" learning experiences here?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I think as a general rule of thumb, nobody will care what sprites you use for personal and learning projects, even if you post some of it here. It will vanish into the background noise of sprite memes and Mario fan art, and Nintendo isn't like to send you a Cease and Desist

However there are some decent public domain sprite packs on the wiki that you can use if you want to play it safe, or if you want to have the option to share your game more widely

https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... _Resources
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

Ok, I just wanted to make sure it was ok and wouldnt potentially get the community in trouble or anything (Not that I think my stuff would be that popular/noticed xD)...but I feel like other newbs might hopefully benefit from some of it. Ive lurked for years and have never completed anything solid.