Android 10 compatibility

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Android 10 compatibility

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Google Play Store has been nagging me about updating my apps to be "API Level 29 compatible with Android 10" for a while. They no longer will let me upload OHR games and are going to make my games down in November unless they are compliant.

Here's a list of the Level 29 requirements: https://developer.android.com/distribut ... t-sdk.html

Is there a plan to update OHR for Android 10 in the near future? If not, I can always just distribute Android games on other platforms, although Google Play is the biggest.

Thanks guys!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Oh, yeah, I have to bump that target api number. Hopefully I can find my notes on how that works.

Thank you for reminding me. I got a similar notice for my android games, but got distracted and forgot
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

According to the "Plan for Android 8.0 target" mailinglist thread, both project/project.properties and project/AndroidManifestTemplate.xml need changing.
When resizeableActivity is set to false, apps can additionally specify a minAspectRatio which automatically letterboxes the app on narrower aspect ratios.
This sounds important and useful. sdl-android stretches to fill the whole display, it doesn't preserve aspect ratio, which looks pretty bad if there's a significant mismatch.

And more changes to external storage permissions, again. We still haven't fixed access to external storage that was broken by Android 8.