Make Extra Hits stat always trigger (without chains)

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Rue
Slime Knight

Make Extra Hits stat always trigger (without chains)

Post by Rue »

Long time no post. :)

I know how to make extra hits not work with attacks using a biset.

However, even if you have an extra hits stat of 1, for example, there's a pretty decent chance your attacks will only go off 1 time, instead of twice.

Is there currently a way to, without chains guarantee the extra hits stat will proc bonus hits?

If not, feature request :).

Probably an attack biset, or maybe a global biset.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Perhaps a new stat that indicates minimum extra hits? Default it to 0, make it hidden by default, and you've got back-compat baked in.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, there's a surprise.

Either an attack bitset or global bitset "Don't randomize Extra Hits" would be simple to add.
In fact we already have both global and attack bitsets "Attacks ignore extra hits stat". So for consistency two new bitsets ought to be placed next to both of those (this is getting more complicated).
(Maybe ideally the two could be combined into a single "Extra hits stat: Ignore/Random amount/Full amount" setting, but that's too much work to bother with)

BTW in case you don't know, the Extra Hits stat adds a random number of additional hits (uniform between 0 and the stat value), but the attack's Extra Hits setting isn't randomised.

A new stat seems really overkill. Not sure how many people would have a use it. At least bitsets can be hidden out-of-the-way.
Last edited by TMC on Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

how about a formula for number of hits?
then you could factor in speed or whatever
Last edited by SwordPlay on Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

I like the idea of a simplistic option that makes it guaranteed and then a default option that makes it as random as it always has worked, and then down the line something that makes it more customizable.

I did find a janky way to accomplish this with chains, btw. Do an instead chain with "hits" as the condition and do a different (but, essentially identical attack that chains into a second hitting attack). This isn't ideal though, because you have to repeat the option if you have multiple heroes using multiple styles of attacks with different animations.

Oh, and uh, avatar change. Thanks Mogri, btw, for helping me get my account back. Ancient accounts have ancient problems.