Get tagging

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, I tagged all the games on the "complete" list, except for those marked "Almost", and even added some more to that list. I've also been tagging a lot of contest games, though I think 'hotohr' and 'ridiculous games contest' are the only ones that are complete. As an exception, I didn't mark HotOHR or Finish Your Dang Game entries as 'contest game' because I'm not sure they count. I might've added over 500 tags by now.

I marked some games as 'demo' but really that's only useful when it's not obvious.

I made several mistakes which I can't fix, but I noted them down so that I can remove them later. Also I tagged a lot of stuff on a lot of games I haven't played, based on the description or the reviews; I also downloaded and played/skimmed a dozen games or so. A lot of gems amongst them. So there might be some inaccuracies.

It appears tags only appear once they have at least 3 games. It would be nice if all tags in use could be listed, for the purpose of finding relevant tags to put on a game.

It would be nice to have more tags that you might use to search for games for, like atmospheric, or tags for graphical styles like monochrome (would like more categories -- "cartoony"? -- for stuff like Indigo?)

See if you can spot games missing from some of these:
dungeon crawler
epic length
hand-drawn
voice acting
cthulhu
villainous protagonists
Last edited by TMC on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Wow, impressive work, everyone.

I've consolidated a few tags. You don't have to worry about redoing any tags that you've already done, but for reference, here are some of the affected tags:
  • "48 hour," "48 hours," and "48 hour contest" are now 48-hour. For consistency, "528 hour" and "8bit" got hyphens, too.
  • "exploregasm" was rolled into exploration. (In fairness, exploregasm came first.)
  • "mouse" was rolled into mouse-only (renamed from "mouse only"). There is a separate "mouse support" tag for games that support but do not require the mouse, but the games tagged "mouse" were both mouse-only.
  • "randomise content" and "randomised content" were rolled together to form randomized content (sorry (not sorry)).
  • "ridiculous game contest" was rolled into ridiculous games contest.
  • "rogue-like" was rolled into roguelike.
  • "tech demos" was rolled into tech demo.
This is in general not something that you need to concern yourselves with: once I roll up a tag, attempting to add the old tag will add the new one instead. If you happen to notice any redundant tags, though, please bring them to my attention.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I was thinking of going through and adding "on android" and "on ouya" tags, but I was worried it might seem misleading since only a few of those entries actually have links that point to the relevant app store.

Opinions?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Mogri wrote:"exploregasm" was rolled into exploration. (In fairness, exploregasm came first.)
Dang, and I thought my word did a better job explaining what it actually is (part of the thrill is in exploration, or the thrill of exploration, versus the fact that you simply can explore). Oh well. "Exploration" works fine, too.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Tags are only useful if they're on more than one game!

James: I'd say go for it -- you can presumably still find those games on the appropriate app store.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm surprised genre tags like comedy/horror/sci-fi aren't more popular but lord knows I'm not going through all these games to add them. I salute those of you putting so much work into this.

Hoping more people start adding ATB/Turn-Based too.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Great, Mogri. You caught a couple of my mistakes. (Please don't forget about the can't-delete-tags bug.)

I agree with Pepsi Ranger, actually. I decided to tag stuff exploration rather than exploregasm because I felt it wasn't the same thing: there are pure exploration games like T4R4D1DDL3 and Look But Don't Touch (which fit the typical definitions of "exploration game"), and then there are RPGs with a huge focus on exploration, like Powerstick Man. There aren't too many 'pure exploration' games on SS, but I wanted some tag to put on non-RPG exploration games, because that's definitely something I would like to search for; though 'exploration' hardly makes that clear. (OK, several of the games I tagged 'exploration' are still mainly RPGs, which I would change now). For example, Tilt and Samanthuel’s Lovely Home could count as exploration games even though both are completely linear, yet you do nothing except explore settings. And there's so much stuff in-between, like Dreg Sector: The Tract, which is still mostly battles, but just presented completely differently. 'open-world' might be a good tag here.

sci-fi, doh! I completely forgot to use that. I had tagged some games 'space' as the nearest thing. And I didn't tag anything 'horror' as all the horror games have already been tagged 'scary' instead. 'comedy' would be a great tag to use.

Well, there are two uses for tags: for describing and for searching. A tag present on only one game is still useful for describing it.

Also, Pepsi, I noticed you used the tags "detailed" and "highly detailed", but nothing to separate them, and it's not clear what it means. Maybe switch to 'detailed world', 'detailed areas', 'deep world', etc. Would be a useful tag.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote:I notice that a viewtopic.php page/link to a game, e.g. http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101 now looks very different to the viewgame.php page, eg. http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=618 for the game. Is there any need for these separate viewtopic pages? Could they just internally redirect to the normal game page? There are hundreds such links all over the forums and the wiki.

So a tag appears in the tag cloud only once it's tagged on at least 2 games?
I missed this post somehow.

There's a need for the separate page from an admin perspective, but for non-admin users, it should redirect. Never got around to that.

The top 80 tags appear in the cloud. It seemed more than sufficient at the time, but we're riding on nearly 300 distinct tags now. I might create an index page at some point in the future, but for now, you can view a JSON-formatted list of all active tags here.

I fixed the can't-delete bug some time ago, but I forgot to sync it to the live site. So now it's really fixed, for real.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

TMC wrote:I agree with Pepsi Ranger, actually. I decided to tag stuff exploration rather than exploregasm because I felt it wasn't the same thing: there are pure exploration games like T4R4D1DDL3 and Look But Don't Touch (which fit the typical definitions of "exploration game"), and then there are RPGs with a huge focus on exploration, like Powerstick Man. There aren't too many 'pure exploration' games on SS, but I wanted some tag to put on non-RPG exploration games, because that's definitely something I would like to search for; though 'exploration' hardly makes that clear. (OK, several of the games I tagged 'exploration' are still mainly RPGs, which I would change now). For example, Tilt and Samanthuel’s Lovely Home could count as exploration games even though both are completely linear, yet you do nothing except explore settings. And there's so much stuff in-between, like Dreg Sector: The Tract, which is still mostly battles, but just presented completely differently. 'open-world' might be a good tag here.
Judging by the index of active tags, I think your point may have gone ignored. Fortunately, we still have active tags for "boring bug thing" and "cow-boobs," so all is well in the world.

I really think if two words have two different connotations (if not similar meanings), then they should be allowed to live in duality. It's the same argument I make about the word "run." Sprinting and jogging both fit into the same category, but they're not the same thing. Exploration and exploregasm are not the same thing, even if they're similar. One's a real word and one's a completely made-up and feasibly stupid word, but they can both work in the context of describing the contents of a game.

Anyway, that said, I think this system is long overdue, and thanks for implementing it.
TMC wrote:Also, Pepsi, I noticed you used the tags "detailed" and "highly detailed", but nothing to separate them, and it's not clear what it means. Maybe switch to 'detailed world', 'detailed areas', 'deep world', etc. Would be a useful tag.
I think I used "highly detailed" for Tightfloss Maiden, right? I know that was in reference to its overly animated state and the fact that the environment itself reacts to the player's movement. It's probably a bad tag, though. I'll think of something better when I get home from work. I'm not sure which games I tagged "detailed," but they probably have lots of flavor text and atmosphere. Again, I'll have to go back and look. I may change those tags into something more specific.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, nice, I was just about to suggest that the suggestions include tags for which you've typed a substring, not just a prefix, but I see you've just added that.

After seeing the full list of tags I can see why you'd want to exclude most of them, though I think there are more than 80 useful ones. Guess I can try to figure out which games have a tag by using Google.

I noticed another duplicate: 'original music' and 'ost'.

These aren't utilities:
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=82503
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=94910

This is a set of trailers for a game, not a game, but there are other entreis for games which don't have downloads, so I guess it makes sense to tag them like the games they're about.
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3911

Edit (after seeing Pepsi's post):
Yes, highly detailed was on Tightfloss Maiden; don't know what 'detailed' was on.
'exploration' broadly covers everything so maybe makes sense to rename it to something more narrow ("exploration game"?) if you want a more nuanced categorisation.
Other terms: 'open world' (not suitable for something with huge branching dungeons and secrets), 'non-linear', 'exploration rewarded'

Edit 2:
More thoughts:
It's often easy to come up with lots of tags for unusual games, e.g. sidescrollers, but it's the stock OHR RPGs that are really difficult to tag with anything that actually tells you anything, other than 'rpg'. Can you describe what kind of RPGs Walthros or Wandering Hamster are with tags? Maybe not.

Edit 3:
I bumped into something similar to the strange deleting behaviour Giz saw which might explain it. It's related to needing to refresh the page to delete a tag you edit.
Go to a game. Add one or more tags (test1, test2, ...). Hit the back button, then the forward button. The tags you just added will be missing (not too surprising). Try to add a tag (test3) and instead test1 will appear.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
Judging by the index of active tags, I think your point may have gone ignored. Fortunately, we still have active tags for "boring bug thing" and "cow-boobs," so all is well in the world.
Cow-boobs is a fantastic tag. How many games can you say you've played that featured cow-boobs? How would you ever find more of that content?

YOU'RE WELCOME.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Does this count?
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5838

Another duplicate: spinoff and spin-off.

I think all the three-game tags have been push out of view as well now.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

That should count, TMC! I didn't remember that game or I woulda marked it.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Another duplicate: 'mouse only' and 'mouse-only'

I've been tagging games with adventure if they're all about chatting to NPCs without RPG elements, since "adventure game" seems to the the best description of these. I've also tagged some stuff as adventure puzzle. This is a mess. Firstly, there are a couple RPGs like Walthros already tagged adventure. My use of 'adventure' is basically ambiguous so I should probably rename it to 'adventure game' so you can tag every RPG ever with 'adventure' if you care to. Secondly I really hate to tag games as adventure games when it's all talk and everything happens on one map. Maybe they could be called 'no battles' or 'interactive fiction' instead. Finally, the difference between 'adventure' and 'adventure puzzle' seems to be that adventure puzzles are actual traditional "adventure games" and games without puzzles are rather interactive fiction. Also, right now Porject Wonderful is showing me an ad for an ADVENTURE comic.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

TMC wrote:Secondly I really hate to tag games as adventure games when it's all talk and everything happens on one map. Maybe they could be called 'no battles' or 'interactive fiction' instead.
I'd call them "character dramas."
Gizmog wrote:Cow-boobs is a fantastic tag. How many games can you say you've played that featured cow-boobs? How would you ever find more of that content?

YOU'RE WELCOME.
You do make a good point. Okay, thank you.