Spend your Slimebucks: Slime Salad feature request thread

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

It could be set up in a way to include tech demos too.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I'll see if I can make some time this week to hunt down the likely candidates, though I suspect this could take me a lot longer to do.
Ideally, half the point of Game Discussion would be articles like what you're describing (the other half being discussion of games made by our users).
If it turns out that there are too few articles to warrant a new subforum, then I think the ability to tag and filter posts according to topic and type (article, discussion, game hype, simple question, rant, etc.) would be the next best thing. At any rate, 26 pages of searchable threads, each with ambiguous topic titles, means that someone's gonna have to write yet another article on game design because no one's gonna go sifting through threads upon threads about how somebody's hard drive crashed and now they have to draw their walkabout set all over again just to find what they're looking for.

I think you've already got a tagging system in the works, right? (Oh, you've got one for the game list coming--the same forum that's got alphabetizing and all the other neat tricks that the whole site could benefit from.) I don't know. Even if we have too few articles for a new subforum, I still think we need something to make locating topics that have been written about and posted to Slime Salad much easier to do. It would also make things easier for anyone who needs to cross-reference an older post to emphasize a point he's making in a new one.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Hmm, now that I look through the forums, I'm going to have to retract my opinion that there should be a new subforum. There are indeed far too few throughout the forum (of course, I could have missed some) to warrant an entire new subforum.

I would however, support a stickied post in the Games forum that links to those tutorials/articles. It'd make finding them easier.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Maybe there would be more if there was a subforum
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I think that the real desire is to increase visibility of articles, by giving them equal status to the game list.

Relatedly, it wodner what substance could be added to the Learn how to make your own games » page that's linked from the top of the site's main page.

This might be helpful:
THW Article links

I'm kicking myself for not mirroring RPGOnline when I had the chance. I suspect it's not on archive.org.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

We need another game thread for things like tech demos and orange mondays.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Another thread for Demos sounds good! :D

How about sorting games by genre?
And how about more options in the profile where you can add things like a jabber-ID or different messeger than yahoo ?
Last edited by marionline on Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Spoonweaver wrote:We need another game thread for things like tech demos and orange mondays.
This is pointless once tags are added.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Proposal: Create a new subforum dedicated solely to helping people with the engine. Move existing help threads into it.

The Logic:
1. It's pretty forward for a newbie to just post in the games forum looking for help. A good number of them are probably too shy for it unless they happen to see another help post there.
2. It's easier for people with a question to find old threads that answered that question when they only have shift through a forum dedicated for it. Games is littered with threads about contests and games making it much more difficult.
3. We could post a sticky linking to common resources they might have missed, so people looking for help can find more resources before resorting to asking a question.
Last edited by SDHawk on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I can see the logic there. My only holdback is that this
SDHawk wrote:Proposal: Create a new subforum dedicated solely to helping people with the engine.
is easy, but this
SDHawk wrote:Move existing help threads into it.
is not.

If I can get some volunteers (not necessarily you; you already do a bang-up job with the reviews), I'd be OK moving forward with this.
Froginator
Slime Knight

Post by Froginator »

What about unlockable Slime-Arena classes? I would totally spend some slimebucks on a mage-class!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The slime arena doesn't work on a class based system. You make your own class by buying attacks, equiping things, and raising stats. Plus, who still uses the slime arena?

I'd volunteer to move threads if you'll have me.
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

I would like to change my username to Matokage. Do I need to pay in advice or just after?
"I can't buy food with glory"
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

In advance.