Spend your Slimebucks: Slime Salad feature request thread

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I say go forward with the help forum, even if we don't have a moderator. Can't imagine there'd be too many asking for help when there's a forum for such things right there. Besides, it's not like we're gonna reach critical mass of questions or anything.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

I can go ahead and do post moving thing if no one else wants to.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I think there are a fair number of threads that will be hard to clearly classify.

Personally I prefer just keeping one "Games" forum. In my experience with other forums, I feel that dividing forums inevitably makes posts harder to find not easier, no matter how well-thought-out the categories are.

But I realize I am in the minority with this opinion, and if we go ahead with the split, it is probably best to focus on future threads, and not to stress out too much about sorting old threads.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I feel the same way a little bit, in that I don't think it's a federal offense to talk about something on the Games forum. In an ideal world, you'd play someone's game, talk to 'em about it on the games forum, and if you found an issue the two of you could work together there to fix it. That's the main reason I haven't volunteered, is because I think it would be really hard to figure out what's fair game design discussion and what's a help thread. Plus, it seems a little condescending to go to someone with a problem and say "No no, you want to post that over here (Where nobody's gonna read it)."

At the same time, I do support a Help Forum because people would be less self-concious about posting there, they'd be more okay to open different threads for different problems and it would be a good place for pre-emptive Helps, like tutorials, how-tos and FAQs. Part of which is what we have the wiki for, but the Wiki isn't the best place to get personalized assistance.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Since we can't have a forum on articles, and since James's argument on starting a new help forum makes sense, why don't we just have one thread (hosted by a moderator) with a top level post that provides links to other threads about various topics (past and present), which we can arrange by category, and sticky it? Problem solved.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The whole idea of a help forum would be so new people, or sort of new people, would know that we are open to questions and to feel welcomed to post them. Moving helpful threads to it and stickying them is secondary to that and arguably not needed.
I say it's not needed because the idea would be to compile a list of helpful things for people to read through, but generally people asking questions are trying to avoid reading through pages and pages of information.
Some threads are set up really well, but most of the time the topic is vague and the helpful parts aren't until post 3 or 4.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Yeah I agree with Spoon here. The main point is just to make new people know we're open to answering questions. Everything else is secondary here.

That said, I do think there's value to organizing those questions in one place. I don't think I've ever posted to any forum for help. But I cannot count the number of times I've solved my problems by lurking through a help forum looking for people with a similar problem, and finding out how they solved it. That has probably helped me more times than looking at the documentation for a lot of things since it's a fairly accurate representation of common problems. If I had to shift through a bunch of contests and other community cruft to get there (or didn't even see a help forum in the first place) I might never even look in the first place (though some times a forum search can be just as good when looking for help). It's hard to see these help-seeking lurkers since they're invisible compared to their question asking brothers, so I figure I gotta speak for them. (Even if we don't move the old threads, the categorization still makes this easier for lurkers once some questions pile up over time)

Giz's point about more conversationally asking for help is a good one. It's unfortunate that there's no easy to way put that help in an easy to find place, but there's no way around it without acting like crazy people. I'd just draw the line in the sand as "If the thread is explicitly just asking a question, then it goes in help."
Last edited by SDHawk on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yeah, my objection was only a mild one. I would be perfectly happy with a "Help Me" subforum, if that is the consesus
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

I add my consent to the consensus. If need be, I'll copy important FAQesque pieces from the Game board into the help one.
Sent from my iPhone
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

I'm all for it, sounds like a good idea.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

Yeah! I'm finnaly a Kage!
"I can't buy food with glory"
Froginator
Slime Knight

Post by Froginator »

can you change the little caption under my name saying "Slime Knight" to "Robot-Frog Hybrid"
Mogri
Super Slime

Re: Spend your Slimebucks: Slime Salad feature request threa

Post by Mogri »

Mogri wrote:
  • Custom user rank (S$1200)
Froginator
Slime Knight

Post by Froginator »

Ok then
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Please please please turn on "Disable HTML in this post" by default. It would save so much time.