OHRRPGCE Top 15 - 2013

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Willy Elektrix wrote:
JSH357 wrote:If I might make a suggestion: you should allow public voting in some capacity. Just speaking from experience, people forget about the voting threads if they are not active, and lists of games also help people think of games.
I'll second this notion. If we publicly post lists, people will also see games they have never played and maybe be inspired to try some of them out.
I've updated the rules to allow this.
For that matter, I think the 2012 release list should also be posted, especially since we never had a Game of the Year vote for it (though, if we're doing a Top 15 vote anyway, it might not hurt if MBS dropped in a few subcategories to encourage the community to pick the Top 5 of 2012, and the various "best of" categories, like best graphics and writing, while we're still in a voting mood). It's extra work, but at least we wouldn't have to miss a Game of the Year, even if we are six months past the usual voting period.
Done. I've also posted a complete list of past Top 30 games though I lack some of the authors for the older ones. If anyone can fill in the blanks it would be much appreciated.

As for Best of 2012, I like the idea of it but I may do that in a separate thread to avoid confusion.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

After doing some research into the ??? games, I can see why JSH always insisted on voters using the full, official name of the game and its author.

EDIT:

There's a few games I found that should either be uploaded somewhere else for safekeeping, or are tenatively available to someone with more computer skills than I.

Namyak's Pandora Effect was archived from Geocities onto a site called Reocities and can be downloaded from http://www.reocities.com/TimesSquare/Br ... andora.zip. His whole site was there, and it makes me wonder what luck we might have with other old geocities links.

Byong's game Tetra is on a Tripod site that miraculously still exists, though I wasn't able to get the download link to work. Anyone fancy themselves a hacker?

Byako/The Shogunate's game Edo is a funny story: The game was apparently unavailable from 2000 until Byako came back to visit in 2007 due to a typo in the url. He fixed it, and the game has been available from his old site ever since.
Last edited by Gizmog on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Just a reminder that votes are due by the end of this month. Remember that you can post them in this thread or via PM.

To kick things off, I'll share my votes. I feel bad because there's still many games I've yet to play, but I'll be extremely busy this month and will likely not be able to play many more before the due date. I still haven't played Motrya yet, among many others...

---------------------------

1 - Walthros
One of the best OHRRPGCE games out there. With it being a decade old now, I'd say that is quite a feat.

2 – Origin
Origin is a great example of a traditional OHRJRPG done right. It also has one of the better delivered stories I’ve seen in any OHRRPGCE game to date.

3 - Spellshard: The Black Crown of Horgoth
Hard enough at times to make you fighting mad, but a fantastic game nonetheless. It also throws you back to the 80s/90s JRPG era where most games were extremely difficult.

4 - Entrepreneur: The Beginning
I have no idea how the crap Pepsi Ranger scripted this thing, but I would love to see a complete title someday.

5 - Memoria
An older OHRRPGCE title that has actually aged well and it is unfortunate that it will likely never be finished.

6 - Monterey Penguin
One of the oldest-surviving OHRRPGCE games that manages to still shine even after all these years.

7 - Curse of Vampire
A fine example on how to make a fun and intriguing game with little to no eye candy.

8 - Vikings of Midgard
Top notch graphics and acceptable gameplay, Vikings is an OHRRPGCE classic.

9 - Bloodlust
There are only a handful of horror OHR games out there and it is a great example of how to do it right.

10 - Missing
Being a huge Déjà vu and Shadowgate fan, I absolutely loved Missing.

11 - Fantasy Under a Blue Moon X
Hard (from a grinding standpoint), annoying at times, and redundant, FUABMX requires a lot of time and patience, but is a truly rewarding game.

12 - Phantom Tactics
Because I was a Final Fantasy Tactics junkie for years and years, I loved Phantom Tactics. Yet another game I’d really like to see updated at some point.

13 - Blasphemous Saga Fantasy
Even though it is a short “tech” demo, it does almost everything right. It makes you want to see more, which is exactly what demos should do.

14 - King of Gourmet: Feast For Your Life
One of the craziest ideas I’ve ever seen in any OHRRPGCE game, but it works surprisingly well.

15 – Fat Frog RPG
I had to give mad props to the game that brought me to the OHRRPGCE in the first place.

-------

PS. Thanks for putting this on the front page! :)
Last edited by Meatballsub on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Just a reminder that we are down to roughly two weeks until the deadline. I'd really like to see more responses if possible. So far, I've only received votes from about three people. If I don't get more, then this thing is pretty much pointless and I doubt I'll try and do it again.

Don't let something this simple die out. We've all played OHRRPGCE games, so pick your favorites and send me a list. It doesn't have to be 15 games but that would be ideal.

Thanks for the support.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I'm trying to do it right this time and really give my top 15 OHR Games of all time. I'm not forgetting about this thread though.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Thanks man. By the way, I'm changing this to a yearly thing because I think that makes the most sense. Should give all of you even more reason to participate in this one, as it will be the only one this year!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

In that case I might want to try to take the time to think of another six.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Nathan Karr wrote:In that case I might want to try to take the time to think of another six.
No problem! If you do just send them my way.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I think you're underestimating the amount of work voting for a list like this actually takes.
I'm sure a lot of people would want to vote for this, but feel they need to play more OHR games to make a fair vote.

I think lists like this are fun, but ultimately don't amount to much because they're based off of mostly biased and favoritism.
If you want to make an interesting and possibly useful list, clear standards need to be set, and every game released needs to be assessed equally. Done this way, you would only need yourself or a few others to deliberated over the results in order to make a solid list.

This could be the Hamster Wheel Top 15.
Instead of the ohr communities fan favorites.

Just my 2 cents. I'll send my vote in soon.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Spoonweaver wrote:I think you're underestimating the amount of work voting for a list like this actually takes.
I'm sure a lot of people would want to vote for this, but feel they need to play more OHR games to make a fair vote.
I never doubted that getting together 15 games takes time and effort. In fact that's the reason I mentioned from the very beginning that you can vote for UP TO 15 games, but you don't necessarily have to do that many. I also announced this a month and a half ago. Don't think I'm under appreciating people's contributions to this poll because I know it takes effort.
Spoonweaver wrote:I think lists like this are fun, but ultimately don't amount to much because they're based off of mostly biased and favoritism.

If you want to make an interesting and possibly useful list, clear standards need to be set, and every game released needs to be assessed equally. Done this way, you would only need yourself or a few others to deliberated over the results in order to make a solid list.
I don't really see how this type of poll has anything to do with unequal assessments from game to game. And sure, the list is based on bias and favoritism because the rules clearly indicate to pick your top 15 favorite games. That's totally different than, say, a top 15 best OHRRPGCE games, which is not what I'm trying to accomplish here (though I do agree that a separate, more structured poll would be nice to see). I might consider rewording the name of the poll itself though to clearly show that it is a favorite list.

Once this poll is over I'll evaluate how things went, but as of right now have no plans to make it any different than it has been since 2000 (besides the fact that you only vote for 1-15 instead of 1-30 games).
Last edited by Meatballsub on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

If you're hurting for ideas, take a look at the Game of the Month list.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I would vote, but I honestly have not played an OHR game other than the one I'm working on in about 2 years. It just seems unfair to newer games that might be better than the ones I remember. I'd be interested in entering another one of those review contests (which kind of forces you to play all the games from that year) but I can't properly evaluate my "favorite" OHR games.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Would you consider allowing people to vote for more than 15 games? I started putting together a list and got to 30 easily. The problem is that you might not have a large overlap between different people's lists if they are too short (eg only 1 or 2 people voting for the game in 15th place).

On that note, I suggest you that don't do ranking by awarding 15 points to first ... 2 points to 14th and 1 point to 15th. 13th place on someone's list shouldn't be 3 times higher than 15th.

---

I'm tempted to try putting together a cumulative ranking by combining review scores (from all sites), user ratings on SS and CP, Top 30/20/15 and Game of the Year lists, contest results, and whatever else.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Spoonweaver wrote:I think you're underestimating the amount of work voting for a list like this actually takes. I'm sure a lot of people would want to vote for this, but feel they need to play more OHR games to make a fair vote.
If you've played 15 games ever, then I don't see why this should be a difficult list to compile. There's no reason why the Top 15 should comprise of the most played games. It's comprised of our favorites, and if we've played only 15 games ever, then we still have 15 games we can list. If some or most of those games sucked, then just vote on the ones you liked. I don't see why this list has to be so hard to come up with.
Meatballsub wrote:That's totally different than, say, a top 15 best OHRRPGCE games, which is not what I'm trying to accomplish here.
Exactly. Someone out there's gotta love Habla No Ingles and the Funkatron games...in theory. Even Magnus made the Top 30 once. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If Justin Bieber can make a top anything list...well, you get my point. (By the way, I just increased our web traffic. Here, I'll do it again--Justin Bieber Ashton Kutcher Teen Choice Awards. You're welcome, Mogri!)
Meatballsub wrote:Thanks man. By the way, I'm changing this to a yearly thing because I think that makes the most sense. Should give all of you even more reason to participate in this one, as it will be the only one this year!
I think if you do it yearly, you take away any reason to vote on a Game of the Year (which we still need to do for 2012 before we end up having two years to cover). Semiannually is perfectly reasonable. We tend to see an average 12-15 new games released every six months. As long as we don't overthink these lists, we can make this fun again.

As for my list, I'll put one together as soon as I remember what I've played.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:I think if you do it yearly, you take away any reason to vote on a Game of the Year
I wouldn't agree with that; they rank different things. And hey, that way we can have two polls a year. Actually I'm pretty indifferent.