PenGen (upload)

Upload your games here. Download other people's games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

PenGen (upload)

Post by SwordPlay »

"draw your own graphics edition"

Controls are :

A - Push/Pull (you can drag objects with direction keys due to a programming oversight :p)

Z - Swap position

X - Bomb. Don't use more than 1 at a time. They can be pushed around.

There are some errors. Just change the map by walking through a door if you get problems.

There are different types of block, but it's unfinished.
Collisions might not work quite right. Esp. Yellow Blocks which can be stepped on.

You can't die. Haha. There are no lives and no hp. Yet. In the eventual game there will be traps and enemies will actually be threatening.

I am considering remaking it with slices instead though.

What else...? Stunned enemies can be pushed, and you get a bonus multiplier for doing so.

Consider the red enemies to be squishy organics who get flattened.

Now, the A button strictly pushes NPCs. But if you press direction keys after you started pushing an NPC, you can control its movement.

Just press any direction key immediately after pressing A (push)
The ability to pull is entirely accidental. But interesting. And fun. You can even send it in another direction once it has come to a stop.

Debating whether to add in the ability to destroy blocks now that there are bombs,
Still want to add contents of blocks, like enemy spawning, bonuses, powerups, traps etc.,

[s](upload soon. ish.)[/s]

It is possible to push an object while it is travelling from another push. You can try this with slow moving NPCs.

#################################

EDIT:
3 Jan. Okay here is a build you can scrutinise. I use the term very loosely. It's more of a few bits of code stapled together with a roof glued on.
Please tell me what you think and create some maps and tell me what works and please help me oh god I don't know what do do, how did I even get here?
Some of the things won't work like the GIFs e.g. pushability and activation settings for NPCs.
Just mess around and try new things. Maybe some stuff I overlooked or a better way to do things.

Yes I know the code is horrendously bad and disorganised. But there are only 2 noteworthy sections.

Explosions are handled by the script 'Explosion' which creates NPCs (flames)
If the explosion meets something explosive, it makes it 'explode'.
It then calls a script "delete here" which deletes all NPCs sharing those spots with the explosion

Pushing is handled by a script called 'Behaviour' which causes an appropriate NPC to travel in a line until it reaches a block or wall, at which point it will stop.
If it meets an NPC (enemy) it will kill them.
If it meets something explosive, it makes it 'explode'.

As for things like carrying over momentum, complicated sliding or kinetics etc.,. Maybe if there is time. (I want to) Probably..not
Many of the things (enemy behaviour. player life. timer) is left unimplemented, and I view this as a practice attempt before I try to do it properly perhaps with slices.
I also want to use more special blocks and navigational powers.
Enemies move very erratically, so it'd be good for the player to have some powers to stop/slow enemies. Maybe you can sing them to sleep :p
I haven't decided on the theme.
It's either machine-punk exploding gore-fest (dungeon), or quaint retro styling (adventure). Perhaps both.
Unsure, and I might try to spin a few ideas and see what is working.
Download

PenGen.rpg.zip (58.26KB; 248 downloads) rpg file and script.

Reviews

No reviews. Be the first to review PenGen (upload)!

You can pull a block back in the direction you sent it.
You can pull a block back in the direction you sent it.
PenGen0025.gif (101.08 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
You can pull a block around corners.
You can pull a block around corners.
PenGen0023.gif (71.23 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
sample action
sample action
PenGen0014.gif (1006.34 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
bowling action.<br />enemies will get AI to help them avoid getting smushed
bowling action.
enemies will get AI to help them avoid getting smushed
PenGen0013.gif (115.98 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:39 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."