8-Bit Graphics Set

Upload your games here. Download other people's games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

8-Bit Graphics Set

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Not a game, but a set of graphics complete enough that somebody could hypothetically make a game out of it. Inspired by someone mentioning to me back around February that a set of sprites I submitted to Hamsterspeak years ago was one of the most complete "free-for-use" sprite sets that existed at the time. My first thought was basically "wait, what? really? those old things are horribly incomplete, there isn't even an inside-house tileset, nobody could make a full game from just those!" and then immediately I started working on this.

Years later, after much procrastination (of course) and also quite a few add-ons to the original plan, they're finally done.

Includes 55 hero sprite sets, 135 walkabouts, 190 enemies (60 small, 80 medium, 50 large), 145 attack animations, 60 weapons, 25 tilesets, and 35 battle backdrops. Oh, and a set of box edges, but that's basically just the default one.

====

June 14th 2017 UPDATE: Added an updated version of the tileset which plays nicer with layers, fixed a minor color error in a couple of tiles in the original non-layered version, and added another dungeon tileset to the non-layered version based on some recolored tiles that appeared in the layered verison.

June 18th 2017 UPDATE: After some fiddling with the tilesets in an attempt to make actual maps, I moved some things around -- rock walls/caves are now on the same tileset as buildings, and pillars and ruins doors are now on the same tileset as the trees and rocks and such. This was mostly done so that you can have trees overlapping the edges of the rock platforms and such without adding an extra layer just to have them both in the same space.

Jan 1st 2018 UPDATE: Added a bunch of new graphics! Most notably, there are now more than twice as many options for hero graphics, including elves, dwarves, orcs, and a variety of others that previously only had enemy and walkabout sprites. Also new are a bunch of enemies, attacks, and weapons -- check the readme included for a full list of everything that's been added!

Jan 30th 2022 UPDATE: My final updates to this set of graphics. I've expanded upon every graphics type except maptiles once again, and also fixed a few minor "oopsies" in previous versions of a few sprites (non-transparent black or extra colors used by accident.) The included readme file will tell you exactly what was changed and added, as always.
Download

8bit_graphics_set.zip (1.11MB; 431 downloads) RPG files containing all graphics (final version)

Reviews

No reviews. Be the first to review 8-Bit Graphics Set!

Some of the new hero sprites, as seen in Custom.
Some of the new hero sprites, as seen in Custom.
8bit0001.png (13.54 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
New heroes fighting a new monster in a new place.
New heroes fighting a new monster in a new place.
8bit0014s.png (10.99 KiB) Viewed 7155 times
World map (layered version)
World map (layered version)
8bit+layers0000.png (20.22 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
Town (layered version)
Town (layered version)
8bit+layers0002.png (14.66 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
Some new dungeon tiles (layered version)
Some new dungeon tiles (layered version)
8bit+layers0003.png (15.71 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
A peaceful grassy town.
A peaceful grassy town.
8bit0000.png (17.38 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
A bar in a busy port city somewhere.
A bar in a busy port city somewhere.
8bit0003.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
The world map, or part of it.
The world map, or part of it.
8bit0008.png (13.14 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
Battle against an evil bird and skeleton minions.
Battle against an evil bird and skeleton minions.
8bit0009.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
Meeting the king.
Meeting the king.
8bit0006.png (10.69 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
Pummeling demon-rats in the woods.
Pummeling demon-rats in the woods.
8bit0013.png (10.48 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
So, uh... looks like you got eaten...
So, uh... looks like you got eaten...
8bit0007.png (8.67 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
What the heck is this place!?
What the heck is this place!?
8bit0012.png (10.19 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:48 am, edited 9 times in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites