Pseudo Z-Level Tech Demo

Upload your games here. Download other people's games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

BMR
Metal King Slime

Pseudo Z-Level Tech Demo

Post by BMR »

The product of late night/early morning sleeplessness and brainstorming about scripts. What this basically demonstrates is how to link maps together to simulate different z-levels (such as in Dwarf Fortress).

It works by using different zones on a map. In this example, I have three maps, 00-Middle, 01-Top, and 02-Bottom.

Each map has three different zones, zone:Current, zone:Higher, and zone:Lower. Areas on a map which are part of a higher z level are marked as zone:Higher and so on for lower areas. 00-Middle would thus have an area marked as leading to a higher level covered in zone:Higher.

An each step script tracks what zones the player steps onto. Upon stepping onto that zone from zone:Current, the player is immediately teleported to 01-Top as specified in the autorun script of 00-Middle.

This is a very rough tech demo I made to help me sort my ideas out and to see if it would actually work. I might use it in a game in the future, but not any time soon. I feel it might work well with an OHR survival roguelike that takes place in a large outside area. I plan on creating one after I'm done with Legacy, but that's far, far, far in the future. In the meantime, anyone who wants to use this, feel free to do so. The code is rather simple, and it's more a proof of concept rather than any special script, so no need to give any credit.

Anywho, cheers!
Download

z-level.zip (1.56MB; 417 downloads)

Reviews

No reviews. Be the first to review Pseudo Z-Level Tech Demo!

Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl