Action 52 - Community Collab (Is this possible?)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

kylekrack wrote:EDIT: Phantom Tactics is phenomenal. I don't know if I'll be able to live up to this level of polish.
Don't forget that wasn't his first game. Took him a lot of years to get to that level of polish. And learning is half the fun!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Gizmog wrote:Don't forget that wasn't his first game. Took him a lot of years to get to that level of polish. And learning is half the fun!
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm struggling to find time for anything right now, but I want so badly to make more games. I'll try to look at polish as a goal rather than an obstacle. Maybe that will be more motivating.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote:I'm not 100% sure how Mogri did the Memento Mori replays, but I believe that he just recorded all keypresses in an array of global variables/slices, so that he could read back out when replaying.
Yes. It's the easiest way to do replays -- you just feed the input back into the game. You do have to worry about desync if you change the game somehow, which is why Smash replays stop working every time they update the game.
KF Harlock wrote:Moogle had an "OHR Tactics" demo working a long time ago. It was definitely functional, but it was made in the early days of plotscripting, so one could doubtless improve upon it considerably nowadays. Not sure if anyone else has made one.
I did OHR Tactics and Phantom Tactics. JSH did a more faithful FE-like tech demo (Fyre Emblem?), but it didn't get off the ground. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been tried more. My guess is the AI is the big stumbling block for most people, since the rest isn't generally too complicated.

AI programming is one of my favorite things, though. If someone came to me with a game and said, "This is 90% done, but it's missing the AI," I'd be tempted.

In the meantime, if AI is the only thing stopping you, give the player control over both teams.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Newbie Newtype was also working on a tactics game (unreleased) that was quite close to playable and looked really nice. And Sephy has released at least one (two, I think) tactical rpgs as tech demos.

Yeah, one problem with adding demo modes to the games by using recorded input is that the recordings wil likely stop working when the game is updated, and possibly also when the engine is updated (e.g. if the number of ticks taken to perform an attack changes). Also, some scripting would be needed in each individual game, unless you just want to demo playing a new game from the title screen.

In other news, I'm collaborating with RMZ on a game, and we're currently discussing making a strategy game, so overlapping to some degree with tactical RPGs since there's individual unit control. I think we can try to steer away from them to leave room for kylekrack's idea.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I am almost certain AI will be the biggest hurdle. I'll build a system with full player control and then get back on the AI, then. I've never worked with AI before, so I'll be coming here with cries for help, no doubt.
Ps. I love my wife
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

TMC wrote:I suggest that we add a script command to quit the current game and load a different .rpg file in the same directory or a subdirectory. It would actually be very easy to add, and I think other people would also make use of it as there are a number of games or game series split over multiple .rpg files, or even different difficulty variants of the same game as separate .rpg files.
Does this then mean it would be possible to have a game that appears to support multiple resolutions? Thus I could make a game which calls a script to load the 2nd (different resolution) game. Thus giving the appearance that different areas of the game have different resolutions. This would make for an awesome zoomed out overworld in RPG type games.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

sheamkennedy wrote:Does this then mean it would be possible to have a game that appears to support multiple resolutions? Thus I could make a game which calls a script to load the 2nd (different resolution) game. Thus giving the appearance that different areas of the game have different resolutions. This would make for an awesome zoomed out overworld in RPG type games.
Yes, that would work.

Also, yes, I expect there will eventually be a standard plotscripting command to change resolution on-the-fly.

The documentation for said command will probably be full of warnings about what might happen if you use it on certain platforms while running in fullscreen mode, but I can't reasonably argue against letting such a command exist anyway :)
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I'm heading out of town this weekend, but when I return, I'll make a master thread for the OHR Multi-Cart project. This will outline the goals and timeline of the project, as well as guidelines for the games.

I'll also include who promised to do what and what everyone's game ideas are. We can then use it to post our progress as we develop.

I'm pretty hyped about this project. I'm glad you folks seem to be too!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, after hammering out the plan a bit more I can say that Kylekrack is definitely in the clear for a tactical rpg.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

TMC wrote:OK, after hammering out the plan a bit more I can say that Kylekrack is definitely in the clear for a tactical rpg.
w00t
Ps. I love my wife
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Please resume discussion in the OHR Multicart official thread: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7123