One Button Jam

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

One Button Jam

Post by Mogri »

In the vein of the Littlest Game Contest we held some time ago, here's the One Button Jam, hosted by itch.io. You have two weeks to make a game. The only rule is that the sole input is a single button. You can interpret that button in interesting ways: holding down the button, double-tapping, double-tap into hold, whatever. But you can't use anything else as an input.

I don't think there's prizes. I'm not even sure there's judging. I'm going to enter a game, though, and so should you.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Oh hell, I think I even have an idea, for the interface at least.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hmm, it would be a pretty trivial change to create a SuperHexagon variant which uses one button instead of two. But that kind of dodging game is painfully obvious.

The other idea I had for the last one-button contest was an interactive fiction/adventure game with one-button text input (just like Stephen Hawking's interface).

13 days to go, but I'm busy for at least the next week...
Last edited by TMC on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Do a Morse Code edugame.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'll try to prototype something simple this week, I have an idea for something simple. Will need to see if I can script things easily.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Even though this is a question best suited for the Q&A section, I figure it's pertinent to this game jam:

How do you prevent players from doing things like using the directional keys and opening menus, but still allow them to do single button input? I believe suspend player would prevent all keyboard input.

EDIT:
Okay, I should probably test things before asking about them. I put a self-looping timer with an "if spacebar is pressed, play a sound" statement in it with player input suspended, and it still works.
Last edited by Foxley on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Suspend the player, and then make a keypress handler script for all input.

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... eyboard%3F
Last edited by kylekrack on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I've got a first level. Give it a try, then read on.

The mechanics are 100% finished, although the tutorial level doesn't explain everything -- for example, you can hover longer by tapping rather than holding. You can also jump in midair after coasting off a ledge, although you can only really exploit this in the tutorial if you manage to jump on top of the platform that teaches you to duck. See if you can do it. It's not too hard, but it is harder than anything else in the tutorial.

I'm writing the game in Phaser, which seems pretty cool. The resulting code is pretty tidy for a learn-as-I-go project, even if I had to resort to some hacks to get everything working the way I wanted (in particular, invisible hitbox sprites feel pretty kludgy).

Anyway, I have a week to make enough levels for a satisfying game. I'm pretty happy with this so far.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I like it, can't wait to play the finished product. The hitboxes on the spikes are a little off, I thought I had cleared them but died a couple times. My only suggestions would be perhaps some form of acceleration, and a leaderboard for time trials.
vvight.wordpress.com
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Mogri wrote:I've got a first level. Give it a try, then read on.
I am unable to jump

Tested with Chrome on Android, and Firefox on Linux

It acts as if I have not clicked or tapped
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Are you using the mouse? You should be using the keyboard. Any event-firing button (i.e. not ctrl, shift, or alt) will work. That said, mouse support is trivial to add, and I should do that, too.

guo: If I had another button, boosting and braking would be a shoo-in, but I'm not sure how I'd cram any more into the existing button. It's pretty overloaded as-is. Without the ability to change your speed, leaderboards are pretty meaningless, too.
Last edited by Mogri on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Oh! Silly me! Keyboard!

I was on mobile the first time I tried it, and it said "tap" so it didn't occur to me :)
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I can add mobile input support, too, but I don't want to support variable viewports. I might be able to throw something together there -- autoscale the game -- but it wouldn't be pretty.
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

For my entry, I'm going with a Warioware-type microgame collection. I've made some (very preliminary) builds, in case anyone wants to try it and give me some delicious, succulent feedback. There's only a few games so far (like 6 or something), and I plan on adding a lot more before release.

Windows version:
https://mega.nz/#!6ssBWIyY!xs6D1olft8JG ... 73fN7W5ok0

Linux (64-bit) version:
https://mega.nz/#!zwdCyCyK!CwE5VpMKbAxH ... K9nSsWPrs8
Last edited by Taco Bot on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sent from my iPhone
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Early tests were going really well, but now I'm in a hellish nightmare of making game mechanic scripts scalable. As usual, things aren't looking good.