Motrya Chapter Two Released

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Motrya Chapter Two Released

Post by JSH357 »

Today, after several years of elbow grease and agony, my new game release is ready to be played by the OHR public. Please download and enjoy. Huge thanks to The Giz, James Paige, Meatballsub, Hachi-Roku, Aethereal, and Karasawa for helping me get this ready!

http://www.jshgaming.com/motrya

Comments and questions can go here or just buzz me in IRC. I think all the bugs are worked out, but hey, there's always something that can be improved. Thanks for those who never gave up.

Last edited by JSH357 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

My joy at what this actually is so greatly outweighs my disappointment at what it actually isn't :)

EDIT: And what it is is a big new update of Motrya! Yaaaaaay!
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Jaw drops.

Congratulations on making it through this. Here's to 75%!
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Super big thanks to James for squashing a last minute bug so we could release today, and to Newbie_Power for giving us a great base to work from.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I wanted the Daria Game.

You lied to me.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

This is amazing. Does this mean the project is in active development??

(Pretty big file, guessing there's a lot of sound. As an aside, am always curious why you'd go rar over zip.)
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

charbile wrote:This is amazing. Does this mean the project is in active development??

(Pretty big file, guessing there's a lot of sound. As an aside, am always curious why you'd go rar over zip.)
Yes, I've been working pretty feverishly on it.

I went with rar because it made the filesize smaller this time.

NOTE: I updated the file some today with a couple of minor balance tweaks based on some feedback. If you are playing on Veteran+, you may want to redownload. Looking forward to more comments in the future.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Here is a review I wrote on the latest version of Motrya.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Trailer is up:
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow. When I saw this thread I assumed it was a joke. I didn't find it funny. In fact I was somewhat angry. James' reply actually seemed to confirm it was a joke for a moment.

I still would be in disbelief without this trailer and review to prove otherwise.

So, thanks for uncancelling the project, and to whoever worked on it.

Kind of odd that the credits aren't listed anywhere online; even THW doesn't have a page for the game. I still don't know who the mysterious artist(s) who drew those amazing graphics is!

Unless it's just me, your trailer seems to be glitchy; a problem with the encoder. It seems like it's trying to hit an average bitrate target so every so now and then the quality drops to nothing a moment.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

TMC wrote:Wow. When I saw this thread I assumed it was a joke. I didn't find it funny. In fact I was somewhat angry. James' reply actually seemed to confirm it was a joke for a moment.

I still would be in disbelief without this trailer and review to prove otherwise.

So, thanks for uncancelling the project, and to whoever worked on it.

Kind of odd that the credits aren't listed anywhere online; even THW doesn't have a page for the game. I still don't know who the mysterious artist(s) who drew those amazing graphics is!

Unless it's just me, your trailer seems to be glitchy; a problem with the encoder. It seems like it's trying to hit an average bitrate target so every so now and then the quality drops to nothing a moment.
I am not surprised; I had all kinds of trouble making the thing. Wait, so does the thread still make it look like this is a joke? I have been wondering why nobody seems to have played it at all.

Edit 2: Added a staff section to the website. The game's manual also tells you who did what.

Edit: I think what may be causing the confusion is the first couple of replies. Can I get a mod to delete or edit them?
Last edited by JSH357 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

GIZ?!?!?!?

I mean, I know that NP drew many of them and I can't know which (but it's all great except that the sand is too gridy and I think some transition tiles are needed in the desert town IMO and some of the shadows in the beach scene are completely wrong), and that Giz has been continually practising and improving his art over the years, but...
Edit: I think what may be causing the confusion is the first couple of replies.
No, no. I meant that I misread what James said after starting with the assumption that it was a joke and skipping down the thread. You can't make the mistake after reading the thread, but I would have expected more fanfare.

BTW, why not use the Distribute menu to create Mac and Linux packages? Linking to the Linux notes page is still a good idea though, because the Linux package created will only work for a subset of people.

Sadly I'm too busy to play it soon.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

TMC wrote:GIZ?!?!?!?

I mean, I know that NP drew many of them and I can't know which (but it's all great except that the sand is too gridy and I think some transition tiles are needed in the desert town IMO and some of the shadows in the beach scene are completely wrong), and that Giz has been continually practising and improving his art over the years, but...
Edit: I think what may be causing the confusion is the first couple of replies.
No, no. I meant that I misread what James said after starting with the assumption that it was a joke and skipping down the thread. You can't make the mistake after reading the thread, but I would have expected more fanfare.

BTW, why not use the Distribute menu to create Mac and Linux packages? Linking to the Linux notes page is still a good idea though, because the Linux package created will only work for a subset of people.

Sadly I'm too busy to play it soon.
Giz, indeed. The sad truth is I am unlikely to find another artist with Newbie's exact talents. I did my best with what I had. I know this chapter doesn't look as good as the last, but at this point, my objective is to finish the game, not make it perfect. The time is coming when I won't be able to work on games anymore.

I didn't know about Distribute Menu, but I'll use that in the future.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, so you really have had a change of heart; I had thought that it was being revived after all because the necessary people had risen up to refuse to let it die (which I seem to remember not happening, as much as we all didn't want to see it die).
Last edited by TMC on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

That's effectively true; it just turns out that JSH is the necessary person.