Let's Play: Silhouette

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Let's Play: Silhouette

Post by Spoonweaver »

This game has a lot of neat scripting things going on. The game loading and saving have been completely redone, and the battles are completely different. It does seem to beg the question of, why. Why change something to an almost identical version of itself, or in the case of the battles, to a version minus the graphics?

The game seemed to have some cool puzzles in it, and I could see it being fun, but I honestly don't know what I'm suppose to be doing in this game. It seems at first that you're suppose to grind or something, but you can't seem to level up. Anyways, the stark difference in difficulty from one hallway to the next is just too intense and really turned me off the game. Maybe there's more to the game that I didn't end up seeing but from what I saw the game was pretty basic and short.

The graphics were pretty minimalistic. The idea of having a top down view on the hero like the older GTA games is a neat on, but I think the dude needs a face or something. I'm also a fan of the zelda-like dungeon look, it's just too bad there wasn't more of it.

Overall the game seemed kind of neat, but wasn't that fun to play. 5/10

Here's the Let's Play, it's onyl 1 video because I couldn't figure out what else I could do:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUgtGS7cGCA?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUgtGS7cGCA?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Mystic
Metal Slime

Post by Mystic »

Hey Spoonweaver. Thanks for the video. I read your description and then found your rating fair. Then I watched the video.

I'm so, so sorry I wasted your time. I'm working on a more robust documentation right now.

Please, please read the the notes in the dungeon. Maybe I need to make it more clear that that's what they are. The game is not finished, that's true, but you didn't even get to see half of what I produced.

No, there is no experience. You do not level up. There is no need to grind. You also died and saw the tip that says to save often, but then you didn't save, which wasted a lot of time.

If I had the same experience you did, I would have given the game something terrible, like 2/10. So, I think 5/10 is fair for what I did. However, if you're interested in giving it another, shot, please do read the papers on the walls and save every time you get to another room or get another item.

(You also read the paper that says you can recall if you mess up a puzzle, but then you messed up a puzzle and didn't do it. Should I be more clear? I don't want to write everything for the player outright, I want there to be some exploration of the game mechanics, but...

Yeah. I promise there is more than what you saw. This video was frustrating for me because I think I may have done poor on some game design choices early on, such as not forcing the player to read important texts, but I don't know...)

[edit]

I hope this doesn't sound too negative. I really do appreciate this review and it made it clear that there are some massive oversights to what I've done here. It's just that you got the exact opposite experience from what I was trying to accomplish and I want to remedy that. But there was a reason I was hesitant to upload and that's because the entire package needs to be taken in as a whole. When some pieces don't work, it's hard to fix. But I have some ideas now about what I can do, thank you.

As an aside, were you using the included .exe? I noticed some slice issues that don't happen to me, so I'm wondering if some changes in a nightly version may cause the discrepancies.
Last edited by Mystic on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.