OHR Film Festival 2011 Voting Thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

OHR Film Festival 2011 Voting Thread

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks to everyone who participated in this contest, even if most of the entries, and likely most of the votes, only got made to troll it. Time to vote.

Voting:
-Vote on as many movies as possible. You don't have to vote for all of them. You can't vote on one you worked on.

-Each vote should contain three scores: One for Presentation (including dynamic scripting, animating sprites, etc.), one for story, and one for overall quality/enjoyment. You grade should be from 1-3, 1 meaning "the technical aspects were terrible/the story was awful/I had a bad time!", 2 meaning middle ground feelings, 3 meaning you thought the movie excelled in this category.

-Vote in this thread. Voting ends June 25th.

Scoring:
-A movie's score is an average of the votes in each category. If you gave the movie a 3, a 2, and a 1 in its three categories, the final score you're giving that movie is a 2. All votes will be tallied and then the game will get a final average score. Hopefully we'll have fun with decimals.

-Final standing in the contest will be an average of each author's combined movies. If someone releases three movies and their score averages are 2.5, 3, and 1, that author's final score for the contest is 2.1666... and this is the number that matter and will determine the winner. If an author of multiple movies wins, he can choose which movie represents him in the final results.

Eligible entries:
-Deforestation - Spoonweaver
-Deforestation 2 - Spoonweaver
-Deforestation 3 - Spoonweaver
-Fnrrf's Movie Contest Entry - Fnrrf
-Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - JSH
-Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JSH
-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JSH
-Monster Lot - RMZ and Surlaw
-Triangle - SD Hawk and JSH

The Harry Potter movies are so bizarrely written, presented, and read that I think they fall under Fan Fiction and are technically original takes on the story and therefore eligible.

Questionable entries:
-Habla no Ingles: The Movie - Giz - Contains one ripped screen that has no impact on the movie. It's up to you guys whether or not this one's eligible. I'm sure you'll all say it is.

Ineligible but feel free to discuss:
-Metal Gear Duck - I like a lot about this movie, but it's designed with ripped graphics as a major part of its experience and wouldn't have the same feeling at all without them.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

I actually got that Mac build of OHR working and watched all these. Amazing, I know.

I reserve the right to change my votes (before the contest ends, duh) since I'm going to go rewatch them since it's been a few weeks.

Deforestation - Spoonweaver
Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 2

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2

Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 3
Story - 3
Quality - 3

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

(to be fair on the HPs, I thought the first one was a funny joke, and the other two burned me out)

Presentation - 2
Story - 3
Quality - 3

Presentation - 3 (I really liked the style)
Story - 1
Quality - 2

Habla non Ingles - Giz
Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Metal Gear Duck
Presentation - 1
Story - 3
Quality - 2
Last edited by Shadowiii on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

The Intro in space was pretty cool, but the joke is painfully old.

Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Would've received a 2 in story if the world had blown up again.

Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 1

I keep going back and forth as to whether this is a 1 or a 2 in story. Mouse Jesus brings the story to a stop and isn't all that funny. (Is he supposed to be funny?). The villain's introduction at the end felt like something out of DBZ, which was awesome, but like DBZ it went on a little longer than it could've, and you hit me with a to be continued. I hate to give you the lowest score, because you had me wanting more, but the pacing is just too much. Think of it as a 1++.

Presentation - 3
Story - 1
Quality - 3

You should've made all 7, or just made the one. No half measures >:(

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 2

This one gets a point in presentation because I giggled at the picture for Dobby's warning. That's the only reason.

Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 1

This is the point where the joke died.
Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

I mentioned it in the other thread, but this is way too long for its own good. If you'd picked one story or the other (New Salesman or "The Shop is a Deathtrap") I'd bring it up a few notches. Giving it a 3 in presentation for 40 minutes of voice acting, but the punchline delivery needed work.

[s]It's got HAHA LOBSTERS LIKE BRINE jokes and HAHA THAT'S BORING jokes. In other words, it's a Surlaw and RMZ movie. Nothing unexpected here. The animation of the car at the end was nice.[/s]

Presentation - 3 [s]1[/s]
Story - 1
Quality - 1

All things considered, I think this was the best entry. The "moral" is about 10 years too late, but it's the only entry to provoke any emotional response, the style is fitting and unique and the story moves along at an appropriate pace. Would not have gotten a perfect score on a scale of 1-4.

Presentation - 3
Story - 3
Quality - 3

-Metal Gear Duck - JSH
I haven't played the 4th Metal Gear Solid, so the annoying parts might be a joke I don't get, but the intro and credits go on waaaay too long. Wiz's voice acting is funny and the writing is alright. Would've received an extra point in presentation if the credits had elaborated that I was in charge of HIRING strippers, and not simply "Stripper: The Giz"

Presentation - 1
Story - 2
Quality - 2
Last edited by Gizmog on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Format: Presentation/Story/Overall

1. Triangle
[s]3/3/3 = 9[/s]

I've tended towards hedging away from self-voting since it feels dishonorable or whatever, but I honestly feel satisfied enough with my entry that I feel right to do it. In a contest filled with comedy entries that usually didn't make me laugh or smile too often, I think I hit the nail on the mood I was going for here with greater consistency, as strange as it is to have to compare drastically different genres.

2. Habla no Ingles: The Movie
3/2/3 = 8

More surreal than funny. I still don't know what the heck the plot was about, but it's never boring (This may seem like a small thing but almost all of these entries had periods of boredom and in some ways my rankings are "% of time I was bored watching it"). I've been annoyed by a lot of media I'm watching lately overusing the "show what's about to happen, then go back in time to before it happened" schtick so this movie's take on it amused me. Giz games are an acquired taste of incoherent crazy though, so I can see a lot of people not getting it.

Also note there's also a lot of uniqueness to each scene, even when it's just a long chase scene there's elements going on where you're wondering "how the heck long is this going to go on?! did he really draw all those numbers?!". Very little wasted space here and it keeps the film fresh.

Why the one point loss? It does what it's trying to do basically perfectly but then it's also vapid because of what it's trying to do.

3. Fnrff's Movie Contest Entry
3/1/2 = 6

A lot of the dialogue in this is both pointless and not very funny, particularly the Rabbi Jesus
and final fight build-up. But the surprise reveal is totally awesome and most of the action and sound details are very well delivered so I had a pretty good time with this thing, like, half the time. It's -really- hard to not hold the boring parts against it since they take up so much time, though.

3. Metal Gear Duck
2/1/3 = 6

Wiz's rants deliver most of the time, but outside of the wagon scene and communication screens, JSH completely botched
the presentation (at least get the modern version of the franchise you're picking on, not to mention bother to edit it some or make them look samey or boring or SOMETHING) which is a shame since the whole point was to demonstrate that the traditional OHR creative freedom of ripped graphics allows for unique experiences. Plus, where the heck was your Otacon impression? The demo sound for it he gave out in IRC when he started this thing was so spot-on that it was creepy.

4. Deforestation 3
2/1/2 = 5

The early chase scenes don't work all that well, then the sushi scene is delivered pitch-perfect, then there's a poorly done rape scene that's lame even by horror movie standards, and then a pretty okay rock concert. What a rollercoaster ride.

4. Deforestation 1
3/1/1 = 5

I would have voted this higher than 3 if you had stuck with the earlier version where you simply fade out after awhile, instead of the Earth exploding randomly. There was a certain beauty of making a movie out of a simple exchange and leaving it at that- I especially love the lingering to let the viewer's imagination take hold. (It's entirely possible I imagined this early version but the statement stands)

5. Monster Lot
2/1/1 = 4

There's so much work put into this thing that it's hard to put it so low without feeling a little bit like a slime, but we're not voting for effort here. Basically there's just too much stuff. Something like 75% of the dialogue doesn't contribute to the plot and also doesn't deliver any laughs- if anything it subtracts them by burrying the few good jokes under it all. Entire scenes could be cut wholesale without anyone noticing they were cut. I was simply bored senseless for the majority of it. There's some technical flaws with characters walking through walls, dialogue timing being off occasionally, the too-loud/repetitive snoring, but that's really the least of its problems.

To be fair the menu screeen is a slick idea and some of the voices are certainly some of the best acting the contest has had (though delivery often fails the jokes even when the impressions are right).

I might add that this kind of goes-nowhere heaps of dialogue isn't necessarily inherently bad as an idea (it can work- not necessarily THIS dialogue specifically, but as a concept it can work especially with voiced dialogue), but it's just not jiving with the jokes and plots the movie is going for elsewhere. It's like oil and water.

6. Deforestation 2
1/1/1 = 3

Just a complete waste of time honestly.

6. All Harry Potters
1/1/1 = 3

I haven't read/watched Harry Potter at all so whatever jokes are here are lost of me. Little unfortunate but that's the problem with licensed products eh.

-------------

These votes are kind of tenative right now and I may very well change them drastically after further consideration or re-watching the movies during hachi's livestream commentary. But it's getting late and I figured it'd be nice to get some discussion going on in here.
Last edited by SDHawk on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shizuma
Slime Knight

Post by Shizuma »

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2

Presentation - 3
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 1

Presentation - 3
Story - 2
Quality - 2

Habla non Ingles - Giz
Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 3

-Metal Gear Duck - JSH
Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 3
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 1

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 2

Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 1
Story - 2
Quality - 1

*all three get these votes
Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 3
Story - 1
Quality - 3
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

SDHawk wrote:There's some technical flaws with characters walking through walls
This happens once and it's by a ghost character. It could have been shown better (he could have phased through it bit by bit instead of just slipping under the wall) but this wasn't a mistake.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I meant to release a DVD box set of all 7 Harry Potters at the end (which would have made this a lot less confusing). Oh well.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 1

The set up's good, it's well scripted for what it is, but in the end it's really only one quick joke.

Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 1

The only real joke here is rehashed from the first movie. This one felt pointless. It still looks nice and is still fine from a design perspective, it's just needless.

Presentation - 3
Story - 2
Quality - 2

There were a couple of embarrassing moments, but this is the most well made of Spoonweaver's movies, it has actual characters, and the ending is great. I wish D2 had been skipped and you'd gone straight to this, because it's much more entertaining.

Presentation - 3
Story - 3
Quality - 3

I guess a lot of people aren't enjoying wordy stories. I thought this was perfect and the reveal of the hero's identity was my favorite joke in the whole contest.

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2

If this were released for a Terrible Games Contest I'd want it to win. It's ridiculous, silly, and shockingly odd. That said...

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

...The exact same joke three times in a row wears thin.

Presentation - 3
Story - 2
Quality - 1

Very well scripted and I really like the hand-drawn look of the maps. It's a complete story, it has an objective (even if its objective really is ten years late), and it's actually got decent character development, all things considered. That said, I couldn't enjoy watching it, because it could not possibly be more blunt in its point, it feels way too bitter, trying to teach someone a lesson is kind of pointless when they've already learned it on their own years ago.

Habla no Ingles the Movie - Giz
Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

It's got HAHA WOMEN ARE SLUTS jokes and HAHA SO ZANY jokes. In other words, it's a Gizmog movie. Nothing unexpected here. The animation of the fridge at the end was nice.

---

Regarding Monster Lot: I think it has too many characters (which I really noticed when I had to voice so many of them) and some scenes don't do enough for the plot. Introducing everyone to Fred probably didn't need to be done on screen. The flashback scene doesn't really add anything.

The Eugene/Syd plot was my favorite of the three plots, and it probably shows. I think RMZ did a good job coming up with a voice for Loretta, but her lines do kind of bring the show to a halt since they take such an incredibly long time to get through. I don't really know where I was going with Pig's voice. I thought the ending did a good job of tying the three plots together.

I think the show would have been better received if it had been divided up into episodes, OHR House style in the end.

I still think giving its story a 1 is disingenuous and stupid, because I take a 1 to mean "nothing makes sense, there's no story at all" and that's clearly not the case, even if you found it boring.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Surlaw wrote:
SDHawk wrote:There's some technical flaws with characters walking through walls
This happens once and it's by a ghost character. It could have been shown better (he could have phased through it bit by bit instead of just slipping under the wall) but this wasn't a mistake.
Ah jeez. I guess my attention span was drooping a bit. It's just so close to a one-tile-off scripting error I guess.
Voltire
Slime Knight

Post by Voltire »

Presentation - 3
Story - 2
Quality - 2

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 1

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 1

Presentation - 2
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 1
Story - 1
Quality - 1

Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2

Presentation - 3
Story - 3
Quality - 2

Habla non Ingles - Giz
Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2

-Metal Gear Duck - JSH
Presentation - 2
Story - 2
Quality - 2
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Surlaw wrote: I don't really know where I was going with Pig's voice. I thought the ending did a good job of tying the three plots together.

I think the show would have been better received if it had been divided up into episodes, OHR House style in the end.

I still think giving its story a 1 is disingenuous and stupid, because I take a 1 to mean "nothing makes sense, there's no story at all" and that's clearly not the case, even if you found it boring.
My interpretation of Pig's voice was that you were going for a William Shatner "There's.... somebody... on the wing!" and it was kind of a pun on his hamminess as an actor. That only came across to me in the last few minutes though, so I might be nuts.

I'm sorry that you feel that way about the 1 vote, but my reasoning is that there is so much story and so many stories being told at the same time, with so many unnecessary bits in the middle, that's impossible to care about or follow any given one. There is story to be found, but it's tangled, gnarled mess of 50 stories and I agree that OHR House style episodes would've served it better.

And since we're nitpicking each other's votes, I find it offensive that my entry rated lower than or equal to JSH's deliberately awful Harry Potter series in EVERY CATEGORY.

As for your assertation that the girls in the No Ingles series are sluts, you're absolutely right. There will never be a smart girl in the No Ingles series, because what woman of reasonable intelligence would ever want a man too lazy to get his own beers or change out of his time-travel enforced cowboy outfit?

Still, you raise a valid point. Consider my vote changed.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Gizmog wrote:And since we're nitpicking each other's votes, I find it offensive that my entry rated lower than or equal to JSH's deliberately awful Harry Potter series in EVERY CATEGORY.
Part of what made JSH's Potter movies (at least the first one) funny is that it was such a strange, unexpected joke. Habla no Ingles was pretty much exactly what I expected going in. JSH's Potter was just a funnier joke to me in general too, but the element of surprise behind it definitely pushed up my enjoyment (and this is why I didn't enjoy the follow-ups as much).
There is story to be found, but it's tangled, gnarled mess of 50 stories
There are three plot threads (Fred, Roland, Syd), one of which (Syd) is mostly just minor gags and set up for the punchline at the end. If you don't find it funny that's perfectly fine, but it's not a confusing or tangled story in any way. It's extremely straightforward and if anything could have used more subtlety. "It's boring" is legitimate criticism, "it's too long" is legitimate criticism, "I don't find it funny" is legitimate criticism. Saying the story was too hard to follow is more of a problem with you than the script.

I'm sorry I don't like your "women are dumb sluts" and "time to jerk off in a cardboard box" jokes. Thanks for revenge voting and lowering the score you originally gave my movie over it, you're a great guy.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I'm at a disadvantage critiquing Monster Lot because I'm unable to download it and watch it again. I'll review that section of Shiz's stream when I have the time later tonight and try to make my point regarding it more concisely then.

I don't defend the story or quality of Habla No Ingles The Movie. But I spent a lot of time trying to make it presentable, and I feel I succeeded.
To tell me that 4 minutes of MS Paint and 10 minutes of Teddy Ruxpin textboxes is more presentable than the art and animation I worked my slime off for hurts. I could've just as easily written "DECAPITATIONS" or "Booby Jiggles" in a walkabout and called it a day, would've had the same score.

I watched your entry and I didn't like it, but I respected the amount of work you put into it and gave it some credit for that. Seeing as how I'm the only non-Harry Potter entry to get a 1 in presentation, I can't help but feel it might be personal.

Glad you think I'm a great guy, right back at you. The difference is, I at least tried to be fair first.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I didn't think your graphics were interesting and none of the scripting really did anything for me, except for the fridge flying away at the end, which did look good. Tone is part of presentation to me too, and the tone of your movie sat really badly with me in a way the rest of the entries' did not. There is already a massive misogynistic undercurrent to "gamer culture," and I feel that presenting a movie that essentially celebrates it rather than using it for a reason is uncool. Triangle has a lot of screwed up, offensive language because it was trying to make a point. Yours was not, at least as far as I could see. The tone you present your work with counts, and that's why I gave it a 1.

If your movie had just been the fight scene and the fridge stuff I would have rated it higher in presentation and probably enjoyment. I like surreal nonsense. I don't like what bookended it, and it left too bad of a taste in my mouth to appreciate the bits that were well done.

I thought JSH's drawings were very funny, regardless of who spent more time and effort working on them. It wasn't meant to be personal.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:52 am, edited 3 times in total.