Fangame contest.

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Fangame contest.

Post by Spoonweaver »

Greetings!

This is the official announcement thread for the Summer 2010 OHR Fangame Contest!

The contest will revolve around all things fandom related, but mostly OHR games that are fan related. What, exactly, makes a game a fangame will be covered later. For now, I'm sure you've all got some ideas of how this will work.

Rules:
1. To participate, one must create a game with the O.H.R.RPG.C.E. (please include a version of game.exe that is compatible with your game). The creation of this game must be done completely within the time period of the contest, which is May 31st till June 20th.

2. One must upload their Fangame entry to either SlimeSalad or Castle Paradox and notify me, that they are entering, and what game they are entering with.

3. Ripping graphics is more than O.K., it's expected. These are Fangames and so I'm sure lots of graphics with needed to be copied to make they Fangame you want.

4. Voting will be done by anyone who has the will to log on to Castle Paradox or SlimeSalad and post their vote on the official voting thread that will be created at a later time.

5. All rules ( even ones yet to be thought up ) and regulations are interpreted by me, and as such I have the final say in their meaning. Rules can and will be changed at any time that I deem necessary up to and including the posting of the results of the contest.

VOTING:
As mentioned in rule 4, Voting will be done by anyone who has the will to log on to Castle Paradox or SlimeSalad and post their vote on the official voting thread that will be created at a later time.

It will begin on June 16th, and will end on June 30th.

Games will be voted for, as we have voted for game in many other contests, on a scale of 1 - 10. Every voter is urged to vote for every game.
Your vote post should look something like this:

Aerosmith vs. The Care Bears - 9
Seinfeld teaches typing - 2
The Terminator in Wonderland - 7
Not So Super Mario Bros. - 4
Classical Music Rocks - 1

You don't have to vote for every game in the contest, and the final score entries receive will be taken from a combination of the average score it received and the bonus points it earned.

Prizes:
I believe Fenrir-Lunaris has agreed to supply participants with Slimebucks based on their standing at the end of voting.

The participate whose entry has the highest average score at the end of the voting period will receive a custom item from Cafe Press.

Other stuff:
The definition of Fangame is a game that is based off of an idea that is not the game's creator's idea. This can include cartoon characters, music, literature, or anything else of this nature. Some examples might be a game about the show Seinfeld, about the Band Aerosmith, or about the Care Bears. Or even all three at once. If there's a Fangame that you want to make, and you're not sure if it fits this definition, then first, it's probably not, and second, feel free to ask me if I'd allow it.
NO FANGAMES based on OHR characters. I'm sorry, I'd hate to limit your creativity but at the same time, it happens all the time anyways.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: Fangame contest.

Post by Baconlabs »

Spoonweaver wrote:Seinfeld teaches typing
I almost wish this game existed.

Also, when I first saw "fangame," I figured you meant OHR games based on other OHR games, but it turned out to be a lot more broad than that.
Can we still do that, though? Do we need the creators' consent for that?
I don't know, I just think it'd be interesting to see our artists take a shot at other artists' characters and not-quite-plots.
(Fight of the Century! DiscomBOBulation! Hamster versus Surlaw!)
Last edited by Baconlabs on Mon May 31, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well, I'd hate to limit your creativity but at the same time, the sort of thing you mention happens all the time.

Puckamon, in fact, just did it. As did Yo Ghost Reborn.

So, no.

No fangames based on OHR characters.

Sorry.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

It's a good idea for a contest, but I doubt I'll be entering. I just won't have time to make a good finished product this time. Best of luck to everyone else.

For the record, these were my ideas:

Tom Waits and the Colossus
A Shenmue-style game starring Bob Dylan
They Might Be OHR Giants
A Ramones fangame
A Taco Bell fangame
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Sorry to hear that JSH, any of those would have been awesome I bet.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Yeah, too bad. I'm getting married next month and it's down to the wire; I'm devoting my free time to practicing video editing and Motrya.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Oh, congratz. I hope it goes well.
G-Wreck
Slime Knight

Post by G-Wreck »

I watched Phantom of the Opera recently, and now I've been listening to a lot of classical music. It's inspired me to re-make Guitar Hero as Opera Hero (or OHR Hero??).
No fangames based on OHR characters.

Sorry.
Too bad, I was going to call the game "Yo Ghost of the Opera."

At the same time, there has been a lot of Yo Ghost hype recently, I can see your reason for the rule. Plus I would hate to be that guy that acts like he's already part of 'the group' by making a community-related game when no one really knows him yet.
Email contributions to the OHR Collab project to:

ohrcollab@gmail.com

All contributions will be recorded in the credits.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Hmm... if this was another month-long contest, I might've considered entering.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to make much of anything worth playing in half that time. Especially since the one vague idea I do have for this doesn't seem like it'd work as an 8-bit game, so I probably wouldn't have enough time left to make much more after I got started on the graphics.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Sorry to hear that FnrufYaSchizz, though you must remember, everyone else will have the same time restraints so you're finished product will be just as finished as everyone else's. But, I don't want you to feel forced at all. Oh well, maybe next contest.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

JSH357 wrote:Yeah, too bad. I'm getting married next month and it's down to the wire; I'm devoting my free time to practicing video editing and Motrya.
gonna be editing your own wedding video, eh? :)
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

Well, I guess I'll be entering. I'm thinkin' of something Mario Kart.
shakeyair
Slime Knight

Post by shakeyair »

... :)
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

shakeyair wrote:Image

... :)
I love you
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

A question about the "no OHR-game fangames" rule...

Is it still okay for characters from our past games to make cameo appearances in these games, so long as the game's focus is on stuff from other games/movies/books/tv shows/fast food commercials/etc.?