Puckamon bug reporting/suggestions/discussion thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:... but also to get rid of the problem where damage numbers still use the top-row OHR palette colors rather than shades of green.
Maybe I am misremembering, but I thought this was fixed already. Are you using the nightly builds or ypsiliform?
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Not having made it very far in the game, I will say that what little I've played has been great. And, after looking at the download image on Castle Paradox, I totally want to catch a furry (makes me wish I'd named my Pikachu something a little diffferent, actually). Even though I don't think I'm great, I think things that reference me are awesome.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Maybe I am misremembering, but I thought this was fixed already. Are you using the nightly builds or ypsiliform?
Currently I'm using a nightly from... late February 2011, I think. Right after the new elemental stuff was added in.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to change what colors are used for damage in this version. Regular damage probably uses "Default Text" from the UI colors, but the rest--like absorbed damage, which used to be bright red in the old palette--still use the defaults and aren't editable.

Of course, it's possible that this was fixed in a more recent nightly that I just haven't updated to yet...
Not having made it very far in the game, I will say that what little I've played has been great. And, after looking at the download image on Castle Paradox, I totally want to catch a furry (makes me wish I'd named my Pikachu something a little diffferent, actually). Even though I don't think I'm great, I think things that reference me are awesome.
You're actually referenced more than once in the game.

The mention of wanting to name your Pikachu something else reminds me... I need to stick a Name Rater guy somewhere in this game.

And he needs to yell at you if you try to name your Puckamon "(species name)" in all-caps, because only really boring (or lazy) people keep the default all-caps species name for their Puckamon. Only problem is, I'm not sure how to make a script that can tell all-caps apart from regular one-capital-at-the-start-and-then-lowercase in a name, since names in scripts don't seem to be case-sensitive.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

This should work?

Code: Select all

$2 = ALLCAPSNAME #I recommend using a switch function to handle this
$1 = get hero name(who)
if(stringcompare(1,2))
then(
 #Do Stuff
)
Last edited by JSH357 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Here is one that works for any string:

Code: Select all

script, string is uppercase, strnum, begin
  variable(i, ch, letters, upper)
  for(i, 1, string length(strnum)) do(
    ch := ascii from string(strnum, i)
    if&#40;ch >= 65 && ch <= 90&#41; then&#40;
      letters += 1
      upper += 1
    &#41;
    if&#40;ch >= 97 && ch <= 122&#41; then&#40;
      letters += 1
    &#41;
  &#41;
  if&#40;letters >= 1 && upper == letters&#41; then&#40;
    exit returning&#40;true&#41;
  &#41;
  exit returning&#40;false&#41;
end

EDIT: [s]what the heck? Something is buggy about slimesalad's code tag. it keeps screwing up my script when I post it. I'll put it on the wiki in a minute[/s] EDIT: had to disable HTML in this post. Thanks Mogri!

EDIT: here is the article: http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... _uppercase
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Randomly ended up working on Puckamon a bit this past week. So far, I've replaced the default OHRRPGCE palette with a new one which is sort of a combination of the palettes used by all three original Game Boys. The overall look of it is closest to the default Game Boy Color palettes used for older games that don't have built-in GBC support (though without the different sprite palettes; everything's green like the older Game Boys, rather than map stuff being green and the different sprites being red or blue like in most of the GBC's palettes.)

I've fixed a couple of bugs and mistakes in previous versions (Meatball Subs did nothing instead of restoring HP before, and the Fnrrf Shrine's elder's quiz was broken at some point... though I'm not sure how, the menu that he uses got deleted. Thankfully the menu's data still existed in the file and when I added a new menu, the old menu's data was there instead of a blank/default menu. Weird.)
I've also gotten a bunch of work done on a new area you'll be able to access in the next demo, whenever that shows up. I probably won't upload a new version until I have at least two new gyms added into the game (so far I haven't even gotten one finished, though I should be starting on Gym #5 pretty soon.)

Here's some screenshots of the new area:

Floating blocks in a black void with strange incomprehensible text floating in the distance... what the heck is this scary place?

Image Image

...and there's a town in this place!?
A town which has a Pucka-Mart filled with kids playing Yu-Gi-Oh, too.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:the Fnrrf Shrine's elder's quiz was broken at some point... though I'm not sure how, the menu that he uses got deleted. Thankfully the menu's data still existed in the file and when I added a new menu, the old menu's data was there instead of a blank/default menu. Weird.)
I think I spotted and fixed this bug in Beelzebufo, though it was a data corruption bug, and I'm not sure old games are actually handled properly. I better have another look. When you say it was broken, do you mean in-game, or just that the menu didn't appear in the menu editor? I hope the later.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

It's the internet! Bahaha!
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

I think I spotted and fixed this bug in Beelzebufo, though it was a data corruption bug, and I'm not sure old games are actually handled properly. I better have another look. When you say it was broken, do you mean in-game, or just that the menu didn't appear in the menu editor? I hope the later.
In-game. The menu wasn't appearing in the editor (until I tried to add a new menu, then it poofed back into existence), and when it was called upon in-game it never showed up and spawned a ton of script error messages.

I was using Beelzebufo when I noticed this, though the last time I had worked on Puckamon previously was in an older version (can't remember which, probably either Alectormancy or one of the between-Z-and-A nightlies.)
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

I just played nearly three hours your game and I want to tell you, what I experienced. I didn't made it through yet, but I will do so, because Puckamon is a veeery good game. Good work!
I love the little monsters that you created. The graphics are brilliant and the old Gameboy palette is fitting perfect to it. I don't recommend you to change it. There is so much detail in this game!! I also made it to the singing Frenchman, which is only super awesome and I never laughed more while playing and OHRRPGCE-game.
I will describe you my team shortly... when I got Moogle, I knew that it is powerful. Then I use Mr Pepper, because it is a funny thing, to battle with a chili. And last but not least there is Bad Butt because it has some funny attacks. Pikachu was sorted out when I got these three (I never liked it anyway).
What is not so nice is, that I wasn't able to beat the first GYM boss with my well trained Puckamon. I think, that he is too strong. I was able to beat him with a Lucario, that I got in the cave near the second town. And that's a big problem, because it ruins the whole game! When your other Puckamon have Level 8 to 10 and then you got the Lucario Lv19, the game gets way too easy! And the fun of training the own Puckamon is eliminated. Please block the entrance of that cave, so that the player can only get there after some GYMs. I decided to continue playing without Lucario.
One little bug so far: In this cave I was talking about, please take a look at the littke pokeball at the left. The sprite changed to a exclamation mark when I was approching it. Bizzare!
And please let me recommend one last thing: Add more evolutions to the Puckadex. So far I've played, it seems that not many Puckamon can evole, because the next place in the Puckadex is already taken by another Puckamon! I wanted my Mr Pepper evolve to the devil himself!!!! Maybe if you have time, you can make some new graphics.

Your game is a masterpiece, that transforms the player back to his childhood, because Puckamon completly contains the Pokémon spirit, that everyone of us loved back in the days.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Wow! Glad you liked the game. Also, thanks for the bug reports and suggestions.
Pikachu was sorted out when I got these three (I never liked it anyway).
Yeah, Pikachu is probably the least-powerful Puckamon in the entire game overall. XD

Jigglypuff is pretty bad too, but at least it has high HP on its side. Pikachu is just a fast, fragile, wimpy little rat, as it should be.

It does become a whole lot stronger if you can evolve it, of course. (It doesn't evolve in the way you might expect, though... XD)
What is not so nice is, that I wasn't able to beat the first GYM boss with my well trained Puckamon. I think, that he is too strong. I was able to beat him with a Lucario, that I got in the cave near the second town. And that's a big problem, because it ruins the whole game! When your other Puckamon have Level 8 to 10 and then you got the Lucario Lv19, the game gets way too easy! And the fun of training the own Puckamon is eliminated. Please block the entrance of that cave, so that the player can only get there after some GYMs. I decided to continue playing without Lucario.
Yeah, Cap'n Crunch is pretty hard. I could probably tone him down a bit without ruining him... I just need to make sure to keep him hard enough that nobody can beat him with just the starting Pikachu (...without overleveling into insanity and learning Thunder, anyway. XD)

I'm always surprised when I hear about people catching things from the Swastikave so early in the game, though (especially anything stronger than a Smiley or Pikachu.) I thought for sure that the "must weaken before catching" thing would make it borderline impossible, since they should be able to wipe out everything you might have with just a few attacks at this point in the game. Did the Lucario keep using stat-boosting attacks on itself when you were fighting it and rarely actually attacking? I know that's how someone else managed to catch Hitler before, and I've fixed that in the version on my computer (making it so he'll only boost his Attack once, then use other attacks.) Guess I'll need to take a look at the Lucario's attacks and see if that could be happening there too.
One little bug so far: In this cave I was talking about, please take a look at the littke pokeball at the left. The sprite changed to a exclamation mark when I was approching it. Bizzare!
Yeah, I noticed that on my most recent playthroughs also. I'm guessing the NPC for that has its animation or movement settings set up wrong; haven't looked at it yet, but it should be an easy fix.
And please let me recommend one last thing: Add more evolutions to the Puckadex. So far I've played, it seems that not many Puckamon can evole, because the next place in the Puckadex is already taken by another Puckamon! I wanted my Mr Pepper evolve to the devil himself!!!! Maybe if you have time, you can make some new graphics.
Yeah, there's very few evolutions in the game. Pikachus, Smileys, and Plips can "evolve" using the Puckamon Fusion Machine you'll find in the mad scientist lab, while Furries, Slimes, Duck-Ducks and Numnums (which you can't actually catch yet in the current version) evolve using evolution stones. There aren't any level-up evolutions.

Unfortunately, it would be really hard (impossible if I wanted them to work just like the currently-existing evolutions) for me to add any more evolved forms due to engine limitations. Making new graphics would be pretty easy, but overcoming built-in limitations of the engine... not so much. The OHRRPGCE only allows you to define 60 hero characters for a game, and only allows you to have 40 heroes in your party at a time (I think; it may be 4 in active party plus 40 in reserve, I can't remember for sure.)

Including Ash and a placeholder slot used for the intro scene with Prof. Tree, I've used up all but two of the 60 hero slots. In the current version on my computer, the last two are filled up too (with copies of Rage Slime and Heal Slime, so that you can rename them when catching wild ones without any glitchiness.)

I'll definitely expand the Puckadex a bit if these limits in the engine change before I finish the game, but right now there's not much I can do.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

I tried working on a Pokemon Game.

My plans were to bypass the evolution thing by tampering with the other things, such as sprite appearance, palette, stats, attacks, and others using scripts, so it could be an improved Pokemon without using up another hero.

It could be something to consider.

I also loved this game thoroughly. I was a little upset when one guy who shared my name was a complete...how do I put it? Umm, idiot/moron/Iwanttopunchyouintheface. I was like "Nooo you have my name you need to be awesome like me".

I'm a sucker for Pokemon, as it's one of my favorite series (along with the MOTHER trilogy and Fatal Frame II & IV). It's a shame the heroes are limited so you can't have more Puckamon. Then again, James probably wasn't anticipating 60+ heroes in an OHR game.

I'd love to make a Pokemon game with the OHR, but alas...I'm incapable. So, I'm contented with the PokeOHR-parody that is Puckamon. It's a shame no more new Puckamon will come in play, because I see you already have them all planned out (I peered into the games files). Most of the references are a fair while before my time in the OHR.
Last edited by Master K on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

I also loved this game thoroughly. I was a little upset when one guy who shared my name was a complete...how do I put it? Umm, idiot/moron/Iwanttopunchyouintheface. I was like "Nooo you have my name you need to be awesome like me".
Based on this comment, I would guess your name must be Brandon. XD
I tried working on a Pokemon Game.

My plans were to bypass the evolution thing by tampering with the other things, such as sprite appearance, palette, stats, attacks, and others using scripts, so it could be an improved Pokemon without using up another hero.

It could be something to consider.
Yeah, I had something along those lines suggested to me as a way to work around the 60 hero limit sometime a while back (in the Slime Salad IRC room, if I remember right.)

Unfortunately there'd be some problems with doing it that way. Just changing all the sprites would be easy enough, but getting the stats and attacks to really seem like a "new" creature rather than just the old one with a new picture and maybe a new attack learned upon evolution would require a buttload of scripting and the scripted Puckamon evolutions would stand out (in a bad way) from regular ones in several ways.

I'd consider that method for Puckamon who'd have very similar attack lists if I really desperately wanted to add a few more, but for now I'm okay with just being limited to 60 or less.
It's a shame no more new Puckamon will come in play, because I see you already have them all planned out (I peered into the games files). Most of the references are a fair while before my time in the OHR.
Well, there are a good amount that can't be caught yet in the current demo... but yeah, I don't think there will be any more than 55 catchable Puckamon (with a few being "version exclusives" dependent on your answers to Prof. Tree's questions at the start, so you won't actually be able to catch all of them in one save file) in the final version unless the hero limits change before then.

And yeah, a lot of the games that the individual monsters reference are pretty old ones that would be mostly unknown these days, though there are some more recent ones (Mr. Pepper, Slimes, Gohrillas, the handful of forum user spoofs) and some are more like "recurring characters" in the OHR community who you've probably seen around despite their being older characters (Surlaw, Mr. Triangle, Bob the Hamster and so on.)

I tried to mix them up somewhat, though it probably is skewed more toward older games and "recurring OHR characters" than more-recent ones.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I once played a bit of you game, but on my Netbook it became laggy so I gave up in the second city, I think. It was fun to play, but the battles were hard in the beginning.

I had the same idea like Master K, using a plotscript to improve the Hero, so that it does not take 2 Heros for one Monster. As long as they don't de-evolve to their fromer from, it should work.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Someone actually hit both the max hero definitions and the max heroes in the party limits without doing something silly? We could raise those limits. I don't foresee any particular problem doing so; I think it would just mean tiny changes in lots of places.