Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

We could to that too.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Instead of a toggle, it might as well be an option that takes you to the configuration menu.

I'm still thinking about auto-inserting the Fullscreen (and Joystick) options in the main menus of recent games (rather than just really old games which didn't have definable menus). Most likely it'll be a problem only if the menu has been positioned near the top/bottom of the screen.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:Instead of a toggle, it might as well be an option that takes you to the configuration menu.
This would be great
Billiard
Slime

Post by Billiard »

I noticed that the resolution of the "Big Enemy Graphics" editor is 80x80. I tried drawing a face and its quality is much more impressive than the possibilities provided by 20x20 and 32x40.

I will worship the developers of this product if they increase the resolution of the walkabouts to a supreme number, like 200x200, but that would probably require years of work to rewrite the whole engine. :angel:

Since you're already working on a new animation engine, would it allow you to easily give us 80x80+ walkabouts, or is this an unrelated change that would require much more work?

This is the best RPG engine I've found during weeks of searching. I appreciate your decades of work to improve it. I've always had ideas for games, but my intelligence is inadequate for programming. Hahahahaha.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Billiard wrote:I noticed that the resolution of the "Big Enemy Graphics" editor is 80x80. I tried drawing a face and its quality is much more impressive than the possibilities provided by 20x20 and 32x40.

I will worship the developers of this product if they increase the resolution of the walkabouts to a supreme number, like 200x200, but that would probably require years of work to rewrite the whole engine. :angel:

Since you're already working on a new animation engine, would it allow you to easily give us 80x80+ walkabouts, or is this an unrelated change that would require much more work?

This is the best RPG engine I've found during weeks of searching. I appreciate your decades of work to improve it. I've always had ideas for games, but my intelligence is inadequate for programming. Hahahahaha.
Actually, if you use plotscripting, it would be possible to replace walkabout sprites (20x20) with other sprites. Usually people replace the normal walkabouts with hero sprites because the frames match up, but it'd be possible to write a script that replaces a character with large enemy sprites.

You would have to do more than replacing the sprites; you'd have to define sprite set numbers as frames somehow. It would take some work to organize all the data efficiently, but it'd definitely be doable. I can't think of any examples of anyone who's done it before, but someone else might know.

EDIT: Here's the walktall script page on the wiki if you want it http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... ge_sprites
Last edited by kylekrack on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Billiard
Slime

Post by Billiard »

I created a slice with one frame of a Large Enemy sprite, and I worked on a script that successfully displays it, but it follows my character instead of replacing it because it's offset to the right, and the physical bounds of the map still affect the small 20x20 character while the 80x80 image just walks through walls. :v:

I'll post the code for people who are interested:

Code: Select all

plotscript, map autorun, begin
  embiggen heroes
end

script, embiggen heroes, begin
  variable(hero, sl)
  for(hero, 0, 0) do(
    if(hero by rank(hero) >= 0) then(
      # hero exists
      sl := get hero slice(hero)
      embiggen walkabout slice(sl)
    )
  )
end

script, embiggen walkabout slice, sl, begin
  variable(pic sl, pic num)
   variable(sl2)
     sl2 := load slice collection(1)
     set slice lookup(sl2, sli:largeslice2)
  if(sl) then(
    set parent(sl2, get hero slice(me))
  )
end
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

To make the large enemy sprite appear in the proper position you need to set the horizontal and vertical alignment properly. You can do that with this command:

realign slice(sl2, edge:center, edge:bottom, edge:center, edge:bottom)
It's problematic to use "load slice collection" in this case, because each slice collection has an invisible container root slice, which you need to take into account then when moving/aligning the collection. Press F5 in the slice editor to see the root slice. I think if you set root to not fill parent and set its size to 80x80 then the above realignslice command would work. Of course, then you can just set the alignment and anchor points in the slice collection editor directly.
But it would be far easier to just write:

sl2 := load large enemy sprite (42)
realign slice(sl2, edge:center, edge:bottom, edge:center, edge:bottom)
Billiard wrote:Since you're already working on a new animation engine, would it allow you to easily give us 80x80+ walkabouts, or is this an unrelated change that would require much more work?
Larger graphics will actually be introduced at the same time as the animation system, since they are both enabled by the upgrade to the file format and graphics editor.

But the problem is that after you're able to use arbitrary-sized walkabouts, tiles, the wallmap and collision checking will still be based on 20x20 blocks, which means that walkabouts much wider than 20 pixels will overlap horribly, as you found. Updating the collision system for walkabouts not a single tile in size is a completely separate feature. Allowing tile sizes other than 20x20 is also a completely separate feature, and is an alternative way to allow larger walkabouts. We've done a little bit on the former (and I plan to continue working on it), but nothing on the latter. I don't think either will happen too soon.

It would be possible to script your own movement and collision system for heroes and NPCs. For wall checking you can use the check wall collision x/y command. For collisions between NPCs and heroes you can use slice collision commands. But that's the easy part, then you need NPC activation, NPC AI, movement zone checking, doors... so it's heaps of work. Don't recommend it.

Tim-Tim's Tower was a game with some scripted 40x40 NPCs; Spoonweaver scripted a lot of the above.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Billiard
Slime

Post by Billiard »

I have interesting ideas that won't be hindered by those portions that are built around 20x20 tiles. When your new file format and graphics editor are finished, please let the size of all sprites be as large as your new architecture will allow. You should add a warning that says "Only use sprites larger than 20x20 at your own risk" and hide the setting for crazy users.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sure! Actually it hadn't even occurred to me that I should warn people about using over-sized walkabouts :)
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I think you guys are doing a great job! Kudos on the engine mah dudes (and dudettes)

ENGINE STUFF
- auto-backup of game file
- mass dump / export / import tools
- programmable hotkeys to e.g. jump through the engine or batch edit etc.
- hold down shift to navigate humongous lists faster!
- take full advantage of window size in CUSTOM
- really there should be some clean and easy way of adding multiple effects other than chaining, to reduce clutter, such as parenting
- configurable archetypes/classes/groups for e.g. items to save time
- arranging lists with titles/groups/classes to make it more manageable (e.g. tags, enemies, attacks)
- basic music sequencer

SPRITE EDITOR
- optional, variable zoom of sprite editor with preview
- compare sprites - perhaps switching between them with tab
- overlay sprites - especially for animation
- bg effect or graphic to see sprite/animation in a simulated scene
- mock-battle animation preview to see how attack animations might look
- more undo steps :p or a revert function
- copy/paste board

VIEWS/NAVIGATION
- hold down alt to navigate between heroes/item entries similar to attack editor
- use special keys to jump around CUSTOM
- hotkeys
- bookmarks
- shortcuts
- lookup code assignments for more subjects
- interengine links - link between different parts of the engine for seamless editing

- indenting, formatting, icons, boxes, underlines, capitalisation to streamline UI of complicated menus! check boxes, buttons, panels, all that jazz
- need to title/group things more clearly e.g. bitsets

- more views/layouts to manage large sets of data
- an overall view arranged as a grid would be useful
- comparison, overlay, or simulated views to help with tweaking/tuning
- panes to display relevant info, expanded/extended content, show comparison, display preview, simulate mock-up

ITEMS/EQUIPMENT - expanded equipment features
- item/equipment requirements and restrictions, e.g. stats, another item, skill, hero,
- teaches spell under requirements
- certain effects under specific requirements, such as improved stats or resistances
- different types of consumable item, such as consume hp/mp, charges, rechargeable, gauge etc.
- skills tuition via equipment expanded to include more, different skills with conditions

BATTLES
- animated enemy attacks. even if it's only 1 frame for action
- animated enemy sprites such as trembling, flying, breathing etc. effects applied to the sprite
- more than 4 spell lists
- extended spell lists. to contain more entries
- requirements or conditions for spells/spell lists to become active/visible/accessible such as tags
- different mp/casting types, for each spell and/or spell list
- spell requirements/conditions
- weighted random options for "random effects" spell-lists
- FF-style customise MP growth or have archetypes/formulas
- ability to organise a hero's battle menu, perhaps in something other than a list
- more stats/status effects such as auto-revive, buffer damage, flying, rows, confuse
- healing, regen, poison, drain, life/death needs to be easier to implement/manage

(more ideas cut off due to rambling)

I know some of this is in the works, has already been suggested or has been addressed already... sorry if I made a silly proposal,
i'm not a coder or anything, this is just stuff I thought of while using the engine.
I had some ideas which I tried to make neater, but I eventually gave up, so towards the end, it's mostly rambling dis-jointed ideas, insane dreams etc.

I am aware of plotscripting but just generally intimidated by it... It'd be nice to be able to do more stuff through CUSTOM, especially basic stuff like setting tags. A plotscript editor/writer within the engine would be awesome!

I'm looking forward to slices the most! especially if they get functionality like or beyond text-boxes... It would be cool to see many scenes replaced, augmented or supplanted by slices instead!
I am especially excited by the prospect of slices replacing NPCs or performing event-like roles, like how text-boxes are/were used.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Another request for you dudes: Option to hide certain equipment slots. I never use all of them in my games.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Help! I'm trapped under a collapsed pile of requests!

My reply would be pages long if I used quote blocks for each suggestion, so I'll mark my replies with ⋙ instead:

ENGINE STUFF
- auto-backup of game file
⋙ Do you want more than the daily copy in autobackups? James was thinking of a feature to copy the .rpg to your Dropbox folder. If you can think of other good places for it to backup the file to, I'd like to hear suggestions
- mass dump / export / import tools
⋙ tabulate.py lets you export/import a few things like items, enemies and attacks as csv files. Would be nice to be built in. Actually, when we move stuff to RELOAD it would be possible to import/export them to/from XML. And I want to add map import/export.
- programmable hotkeys to e.g. jump through the engine or batch edit etc.
⋙ We will add a way to switch between editors quickly. Don't know what you mean by batch editing
- hold down shift to navigate humongous lists faster!
⋙ Use page up/down. Works everywhere. Holding shift is an interesting idea.
- take full advantage of window size in CUSTOM
⋙ We've done lots of work on this for Dwimmercrafty. There aren't many more menus left to fix up.
- really there should be some clean and easy way of adding multiple effects other than chaining, to reduce clutter, such as parenting
⋙ I think this is a great suggestion, though it requires allowing multiple pending attacks.
- configurable archetypes/classes/groups for e.g. items to save time
⋙ You mean templates? I've been thinking about them for a long time
- arranging lists with titles/groups/classes to make it more manageable (e.g. tags, enemies, attacks)
⋙ At first we discussed doing this for tags, but yes you should be able to do it for everything. My plan is to allow putting things into one or more groups and browsing by group
- basic music sequencer
⋙ A built-in sequencer? I'm afraid not. Unless you want to use NOTATE.EXE to create BAMs :)

SPRITE EDITOR
- optional, variable zoom of sprite editor with preview
⋙ Will add in Dwimmecrafty
- compare sprites - perhaps switching between them with tab
⋙ Planning this to go with animations
- overlay sprites - especially for animation
⋙ We can't yet do alpha transparency
- bg effect or graphic to see sprite/animation in a simulated scene
⋙ Would be nice but not sure what to allow; easiest to just display a backdrop behind.
- mock-battle animation preview to see how attack animations might look
⋙ Would be great but probably a lot of work
- more undo steps :p or a revert function
⋙ More undo steps are already in nightlies. Don't know what a "revert function" is
- copy/paste board
⋙ You mean basically a history of copied sprites? that would be nice. I want the same thing in the map editor

VIEWS/NAVIGATION
- hold down alt to navigate between heroes/item entries similar to attack editor
⋙ Someday
- use special keys to jump around CUSTOM
- hotkeys