OHR Multicart Compilation

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Big news! I will be releasing playable demos of both my games this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting feedback and improving them.
kylekrack wrote:This is the full character roster so far. There's a sword fighter, two spearmen, an axe wielder, and a mage. I don't know how many more characters I'll add, if any. I think by narrowing it down it'll make the game more likely to get finished. It's becoming pretty overwhelming about now.
With your game, I think you definitely should think about keeping it simple. The scope of your project is pretty huge!

Portraits look cool! I admit that I haven't done the best job at emulating NES artwork, but yours looks spot on.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Splendid news! Can't wait to try them.

I'll be tied up making my game 'til the end of February, most likely. I was thinking of fixing up an older project that already had NES-ish graphics and simple gameplay, but I'm too busy.

Overworld is completely done. Need to design a few small 20-ish room dungeons. Minor scripts still needed for things like altering map blocks when certain puzzles are completed, using fire and other stuff to destroy obstacles, and automatic directional movement on some surfaces. Need to make a handful of additional regular enemies, I have about 5 right now. Still need to dust off my MIDI keyboard and work on more sound effects and tracks.

Going pretty good overall. I'd like to release a playtest in early February, get a couple of weeks of feedback and bug reports, then have it done.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Also lookin' forward to giving your games a try! I've had a lot more responsibilities around the house than I anticipated I would, so progress is slow and I feel like I'm just going to end up doing what I did with that damned clown thing, have a bunch of technically working systems that are impossible to fold into a game.

Trying to keep it simple, but at the same time I hate to keep anything simple. Gonna start "blogging" more regularly to keep myself honest because I have spent SO much of my free time sleeping.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Foxley: Wow, sounds like you're aiming pretty high.

Giz: "more regularly"? Did I miss some update?

I don't yet know when I'll have time to actually begin. If there isn't time for RMZ and I to meet the deadline (he is also pretty busy), then we plan to complete our game at a later date instead. If so, I'll try to come up with something simpler, short, but still interesting/unusual/arty instead, so that I can contribute something.

Of course... I do have a reputation for producing unplayable tech demos in those circumstances... just got to eliminate expectations, then it's an art game! (No, if it would be crappy then I won't bother.)
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

There seems to be a lot of talk about this looming deadline. I'm not opposed to extending it if it will actually allow people to make more/better games. However, what I'm trying to avoid is to keep pushing the deadline back indefinitely and still not have any games to show for it.

As it stands, the deadline was to have the games ready by 3/1 and then actually assemble them into a compilation by 4/1. However, if people want to spend March polishing their games and fixing bugs, then I'm okay with allowing the extra time.

Regardless, it's time to roll up our sleeves and get to work! :D

---

Foxley: Your game sounds really ambitious. I can make some extra time if you want help. I'm not great at scripting but I can rewrite/proofread text boxes, edit sound effects or music, play test, or design maps if you give me some direction.

Everyone: The same offer goes to anyone else who might want it.

---

In terms of music, I found some music for Xoo: Xeno Xafari by locating a chiptune musician I liked on SoundCloud and then contacting them to see if I could use some of their songs.

---

I have some GREAT ideas to market this compilation. I'm might pretend it's a compilation of "lost" games from a fictional 1980s company. I can write a little biography for the company and create some marketing videos and ads and stuff.

I intend to put on itch.io and GameJolt and then see if I can get it Greenlit on Steam. If we put lots of love in this compilation and make it really cool, I feel confident I can market it enough to get some attention.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

My game's actually a lot smaller scope than I'd normally like, but underscoping is important if you want to get better practice at wrapping up projects, which is an area I'm really weak at. I'm actually fairly confident I can do a few dungeons with 15-20 Zelda 1 style rooms each pretty quickly. Main thing I'm concerned about is making the dungeon bosses, and... oh yeah, I'm REALLY going to need help debugging the damage knockback scripts.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I'm trying

EDIT: That turned out less broken and easier to fix than I thought
Attachments
0002.png
0002.png (28.62 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
0001.png
0001.png (27.3 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Ok I got damage working (kind of). A bunch of things still don't work. There is no AI for the enemy. Once a unit has moved that's it. You have to restart the game to move them again.

The game is cming together much faster than I anticipated. Here's a little demo to prove what I've done so far. Let me know if it's confusing at all.
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=126553
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

That is rad. Can't wait to see it fleshed out.

AI is something I also have no experience making, so hopefully someone will be able to give some pointers. I have a project on hiatus due to not knowing how to make AI and I'd love to start it back up soon.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I need to finish the castle interior and both dungeons. I've got the throne room and castle library mostly mapped out and some NPCs placed there.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

All this talk of progress is exciting. I have two demos ready to try. Please let me know about any bugs, balance issues, or ideas on what to add/improve.

Xoo: Xeno Xafari) 95% complete. Text needs proofreading. That might be all. Download here.

Thing I'm concerned about:
Are the music and sound effects the right volume?
Is it too boring?
Is it immediately clear what you are supposed to be doing?

Ultra Frontier QQYYZZ) 40% complete. This demo includes the first 12 levels. There will be 25 levels in total. It needs music, sound effects, more levels, and some balancing. Download here.

Things I'm concerned about:
Is the difficulty curve right?
Are the controls okay?
Is it any fun to play?
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

kylekrack wrote:Ok I got damage working (kind of). A bunch of things still don't work. There is no AI for the enemy. Once a unit has moved that's it. You have to restart the game to move them again.

The game is cming together much faster than I anticipated. Here's a little demo to prove what I've done so far. Let me know if it's confusing at all.
Wow! This works surprisingly well! I really wanted to kill a unit, but I think it is impossible in the demo.

I think the small scale of the map works well. I don't know if I would make them any larger, even if you are adding many more units.

Do you intend to add terrain effects (not that you necessarily need to)? For instance, penalties to attack, defense, and movement on certain ground tiles?
Newbie Newtype wrote:I'm trying

EDIT: That turned out less broken and easier to fix than I thought
Okay. That giant score font is pretty hot.
Nathan Karr wrote:I need to finish the castle interior and both dungeons. I've got the throne room and castle library mostly mapped out and some NPCs placed there.
I've liked the stuff you've shown on this. I'm really looking forward to playing it. The graphics look great (I know you didn't make them), and your trademark style and humor are all in place.

Whenever you want, send me what you have done so far. I'd be happy to take a look and offer suggestions and opinions.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Willy Elektrix wrote:
kylekrack wrote:Ok I got damage working (kind of). A bunch of things still don't work. There is no AI for the enemy. Once a unit has moved that's it. You have to restart the game to move them again.

Wow! This works surprisingly well! I really wanted to kill a unit, but I think it is impossible in the demo.

I think the small scale of the map works well. I don't know if I would make them any larger, even if you are adding many more units.

Do you intend to add terrain effects (not that you necessarily need to)? For instance, penalties to attack, defense, and movement on certain ground tiles?
Yeah, killing a unit isn't possible yet. I was just rushing out a demo while the code was still stable. I'm actually planning on making it free-roam outside of battle and having the battlegrounds confined to about the size of the map in this demo. I agree with you that the size of the battlefield should not increase any more. It gets a little pointless once it's too big.

There are terrain effects already, as well as a weapon triangle effect. It's Swords>Axes>Spears, like Fire Emblem. However, the only way to see any of the terrain effects right now is to monitor "steps left" when you pass over the small trees (bushes? the ones without black outlines). Feel free to open the game up in custom and move the NPC placement around on Map 0 if you like.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Damn it Willy, where're those demos? *peerpressurepeerpressure*
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Foxley wrote:Damn it Willy, where're those demos? *peerpressurepeerpressure*
Willy Elektrix wrote:All this talk of progress is exciting. I have two demos ready to try. Please let me know about any bugs, balance issues, or ideas on what to add/improve.

Xoo: Xeno Xafari) 95% complete. Text needs proofreading. That might be all. Download here.

Thing I'm concerned about:
Are the music and sound effects the right volume?
Is it too boring?
Is it immediately clear what you are supposed to be doing?

Ultra Frontier QQYYZZ) 40% complete. This demo includes the first 12 levels. There will be 25 levels in total. It needs music, sound effects, more levels, and some balancing. Download here.

Things I'm concerned about:
Is the difficulty curve right?
Are the controls okay?
Is it any fun to play?