Christmas Contest 2015

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm sure Southern tradition qualifies too.

Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

BMR wrote:Christmas traditions. Is that specifically western tradition?
No. I don't know how Christmas is traditionally celebrated in the Philippines, but I'd certainly be happy to play a game about it.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Ok, I have a more serious idea now, but I still want to make sure it fits the guidelines.

I'd like to make a game which focuses around a family somewhat in shambles. You, the daugher, among many other relatives, are visiting for the obligatory Christmas dinner held every year at your parents' house. Unsurprisingly, the point of Christmas in general has been lost on the family. In other words, they've forgotten the reason for the season. It's the player's duty, if they take it, to rekindle the connection the family has and attempt to make everyone understand the reason Christmas brings them all together.

The point is that Christmas is about love and sharing and kindness, blah blah blah. Would that work? Or is it too focused on family issues? My intent is to make the family issues the catalyst through which the game explores the meaning of Christmas.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

That would definitely work.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Welp, got the game's intro scene working at least.
Attachments
This seems oddly familiar
This seems oddly familiar
XMASWAR0001.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Figuring out what exactly one area of the game is going to look like.

I know how I'm going to do what I'm doing... it's just that it'll be a good amount of drawing stuff between now and the due date.
Attachments
sweet.png
sweet.png (300.1 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Decided to give myself a challenge and try to use a single 16 color palette for the whole game. The enemy sprites came out okay, but I'm convinced that some future anthropologist looking back from 1000 years would find the iconography surrounding the holiday to pretty much be a mishmash of 'whatever goes'.
Attachments
XMASWARfoes.png
XMASWARfoes.png (51.03 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

You know I've been thinking, I generally release something stupid around Christmas every year.. does that mean that my games are themselves a meanginful Christmas tradition and thus counted on a meta level?

Or should I even bother since Fenrir's graphics are soooo sexy!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Man, I really gotta get going with drawing/designing my enemies. Fen's graphics are really nice (and are reminding me to swap out some of the enemies I have planned with more christmasy ones).
Did get doors (two-way and one-way) set up in my game last night, which will be really useful going forward.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Gizmog wrote:You know I've been thinking, I generally release something stupid around Christmas every year.. does that mean that my games are themselves a meanginful Christmas tradition and thus counted on a meta level?
I don't know if this was a serious question, but no, private traditions are excluded.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Mogri wrote:
Gizmog wrote:You know I've been thinking, I generally release something stupid around Christmas every year.. does that mean that my games are themselves a meanginful Christmas tradition and thus counted on a meta level?
I don't know if this was a serious question, but no, private traditions are excluded.
Of course it wasn't a serious question.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Damn Phoenix, the fact you managed to get all that working AND have it look good deserves major props. At this rate the only way I'll be able to seriously compete is if I manage to get the entire game's core story/gameplay done by the end of the week, then spend the next two weeks on fleshing it out and plugging in excess content.

That said, 3 dungeons down, one to go.
Attachments
This will always be "too soon"
This will always be "too soon"
XMASWAR0014.png (13.27 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
Hi Hal!
Hi Hal!
XMASWAR0015.png (11.13 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
Its a Funkotron Christmas!
Its a Funkotron Christmas!
XMASWAR0019.png (19.48 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I'm not going to be able to follow through with this contest. I'm in the process of moving currently and I honestly don't have the time or energy to make the graphics for the game. I hate to say that's the only reason I won't be able to finish, but I'm not going to lie. Graphics are hard.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

All that's left at this point is the ending credits and to pad out the game's NPC banter with minor fluff. Working with a low color palette was absolutely a smart idea, insofar as getting this project off the ground.
Attachments
Freki's cosplaying as Neke.
Freki's cosplaying as Neke.
XMASWAR0025.png (33.25 KiB) Viewed 4424 times