The 2013 In Review Contest [Reviews: 94]

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

charbile wrote:*** Do not cram a lot of lines in the same text box, smaller chunks is better
Very true, I've learned over time. When I write things, I try to only have bite-sized nuggets. You know, saying the most you can in the fewest words possible sort of way. When you get to arp you will see some non-examples of this, but can you believe that it used to be a lot more wordier.... In either case, further versions of AR-PUH-GUH! will have, I'm going to be trying for, no more than 4 lines of dialog per textbox.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

NPC Life

Last one suckers! LAST ONE

I can't believe Misac put "Dragon Vision Game Studio" on the title card. But he did. And I just realized he drew the bad guy as a cloaked fox. Touche, my friend.

Here's the deal. Yours truly entered a collab contest and there were like three hours left to make something. Misac had some graphics and an idea of playing the NPC (I think?) So I wrote a love letter. That's right, I wrote a mother loving love letter. To thank everyone for all the great games I played during the last review contest. In like a hour. While yapping away on irc like an idiot. I only have myself to blame for this one. Regretrospective. Nah, screw that. No regrets! Still find it amusing, but anyway

So don't tell me these games take forever to make. I know how long they take. Don't tell me you put everything you had into them. I'm not one to be trifled with. I went there, I got on my hands and knees and got stupid like the worst of you. Just so I could know firsthand. Yeah I'm crazy. Totally insane. I did it! I made it to the end!

THE END

---

Epilogue - Giz's review picker game really is a jerk. The one game I didn't want to end on, and of course it holds onto it till the very end. BUT HEY what's my rank...

SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

charbile wrote:Ep1cQuest - Proem Pack

Hawk, this game isn't downloading for me. None of the screenshots on the game's page are either. Maybe Ep1cLuis's webzone is offline?

I'll take a shot in the dark about the game based purely on the lenghty description:

It's an ambitious game that wants to cover more than the developers could hope to acheive and will probably never be finished without cutting a lot of corners and getting serious about limiting the scope and design. It's based on a huge storyline that is likely not yet written outside of a rough outline.

And it involves cards? Forget what I said, could be great. Would like to see what they have so far.
I have pretty low standards here but I don't think I can accept a review where you openly admit you didn't play it. I have re-uploaded the game here if you want to give it a go: http://www.sendspace.com/file/hw7tbc
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Sure thing Hawk ol buddy ol pal. Always looking out for me. that hawk. I just have to throw my keyboard across the room first here, shouldn't take too long, and then I'll get right on it.

But before I do, I'd like to opine that maybe Ep1cQuest should be disqualified for not keeping up with their own download. If they wanted people to play their game, surely they'd make sure it was available. I mean, I applaud your high standards and I like to keep mine on the up and up too, but come on.

No seriously come on :(
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

charbile wrote:Sure thing Hawk ol buddy ol pal. Always looking out for me. that hawk. I just have to throw my keyboard across the room first here, shouldn't take too long, and then I'll get right on it.

But before I do, I'd like to opine that maybe Ep1cQuest should be disqualified for not keeping up with their own download. If they wanted people to play their game, surely they'd make sure it was available. I mean, I applaud your high standards and I like to keep mine on the up and up too, but come on.

No seriously come on :(
If it were actually down I'd be inclined to agree. But it merely doesn't work for some people which is... weird. if two more reviewers agree I'll move it to the optional list.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I vote for someone that has the game put it on filedropper or something to allow others to get it. Else, yeah, not fair to those who can't download because science.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Ep1cQuest - Proem Pack

The readme says it's the first *official* Ep1cQuest game. It also says: "Sometime in the future, this will be a good READ-ME." There's an email, pretty tempted to send them a line saying don't worry about it, I'm the only one who reads these things anyway.

Title screen says it's release 0.1.0. That's all it says. In the bottom corner. The first text box informs me the game is starting. Always good to know. Devon wishes me good luck "bro".

Staring at the screen vacantly for a few moments, I realize it's time to play. There appears to be some sort of color coded GUI and text in my native tongue. Enzo Fox vs. Devon Fox. It's my peoples. There's question marks by the money, nobody knows I guess. Let's see here, how to play. It sure doesn't hold my hand. Hmm...

I take an icon card, and Devon acknowledges this and decides to do the same. Jokes on him, I have no idea what I'm doing. He tells me he didn't need the card. Not sure if bluffing. Not sure of anything, really. We take some cards, some icons. It goes on. I don't understand what's going on. Sometimes icons appear at the bottom when Devon does something, but not when I do. Might be one of those 0.1.0 bugs. Devon wins but feels bad and thinks I let him win.

Can you imagine playing a card game that doesn't come with any info on the rules or how to play?

(It's almost like the development studio pulled the first official release offline, Hawk. I could see it happening.)
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Bonus Round (for Meowskivich)

I'm taking you to the ice cream shop. It's my treat. You can have two scoops of any flavor you want, but you can only choose one. The flavors are...
  • 1- Nintendo Power Strategy Guide
    2- Pony Round Table Review
    3- Andy Kaufman (you don't want this one, trust me)
    4- Honest Thoughts & Feedback Vanilla
    5- The Box. What's in the box? Could be anything. Could be nothing.
The choice is yours.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

well, I was going to have a video clip of earthworm jim shouting that he wanted ponies, but I guess I'll have to say it myself.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

charbile wrote:would like to take a break to give a shout-out to my MVP SparElric. I know it's a bit premature, and all kidding aside, Pearl Tear and Return to Airia hit that hard to reach sweet spot, and were very nostalgic to me as an ohr kid at heart (ohr once the official hamster republic grants my darn visa).
They did? Um, wow! Thank you! :o

I know they're not very good, but if you got some good out of them, then: YAY! XD
"One can never improve enough nor should one stop trying to improve."
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Two scoops o pony it is...

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

You win the internet this hour.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

Pony comic wins the review contest
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Forget about reviews Charbile, I want to see a feature-length My-Little-Conan-The-Ponybarian webcomic mash-up!
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

somepony wrote:Why is grinding okay in one game, but not another? I reckon it comes down to if you're into the story and character.
This is just patently false. Think of any game in which you're okay grinding. How much of a story does it have? Now think of the RPG with your favorite story and characters. How much grinding does it have?

If anything, grinding is less okay in a more story-centric game: you just want to get on with the story.