Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

charbile wrote:While I wait for MOtrya to download, let's RETURN TO AIRIA

It takes a lot of guts to put on your title card "an old game created by". Was it always an old game? Is this an updated version? Maybe it's meant to give it a vintage feel.

Taylor and Iria are living in Taylor's world (Earth) and they agreed their kid will not know about Airia (Iria's world). Are you following so far? Let's see how Iria is doing. She seems to be doing well. She greets Taylor with the petname "the impregnator" and tells him her garden needs to be weeded and watered. At this point, I feel like maybe I walked in on something I'm not supposed to see, but I'm not going anywhere. I really want to know what happens to Taylor and Iria (from Airia) and their kid.

Taylor gets into fights with grass. I like this guy. Fighting grass is not befitting the impregnator though. Leaving the house and looking for some action, there's a world map with more grass and a well paved street with a sidewalk. There's a cave in the corner but some guy wearing clothes similar to Taylor's is blocking it. Could this person be related to Taylor? I really want to know but nothing happens when I try to talk.

What happens to Iria and Taylor? Where was their kid? The story was really well built up and I hope we'll find out.

Also Giz it's "Airia" not Aryan. I think you didn't pay attention to the story. Having actually played the game, I would be happy to talk about it in irc with you.
Your review made me giggle a little bit. Thanks. :)
"One can never improve enough nor should one stop trying to improve."
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Gizmog wrote:On top of that, none of the pictures on the download page work, the link (He hosted the game on his own webspace for some reason) to download the game doesn't work (I had to find someone who had downloaded it and bum a copy off them) and his description is a rambling mess. Hopefully he gets it done someday and it's nice.
I'd like to add that the download for this DOES still work. It just doesn't work for giz for some reason.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

At first I was like: >:(

but then I was like: :zombie:

Bloodlust 1.2! The review in which I convince myself over the course of writing that I didn't hate the game as much as I felt like I did while playing it! A few more paragraphs and I might've even :hurr:

Also: we have weird word filters on this forum. Try to guess where it happens!
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

This post constitutes my review of Back To Basics Collection Volume 1.

..that also explains why Chronoboy got so instantly mad at me for criticizing that recent thing he tried to do. Apparently, we've had a history of disagreement. My feelings are basically the same: It's cool to show what you can accomplish without plotscripts, but I still don't know how much this game does to actually help newcomers. It seems like a thread, or a column or something where people can ask questions and get direct answers/examples would be a more efficient way. I don't fault Chronoboy for trying though, and what I've replayed so far is a... halfway decent example of plotscript-free RPG making. There's just some stuff that bugs me, like the hodge-podge of ripped graphics and the super loud and obnoxious Link To The Past sound effect that plays EVERY TIME you get an item. I might've been too hard on this game, but I don't think writing another review of it would be prudent.

I also think we should encourage people to learn plotscripting as much as possible, rather than fostering some kind of attitude against it. Back to Basics implies to me that plotscripting is frivolity, flourish over the fundamentals of RPG design, folly to be afoided at all costs. An attitude of old vs. new, that I don't think is very healthy. But that's another argument for another day.

..and I just re-read the game description and saw that there's only monsters in the first part, but fully functional towns throughout the world. Why not condense? Make it one 15 minute princess saving RPG that shows off a bunch of cool stuff in a small package. Easier to see what everything does and how it works in a small package! Fewer variables! Gonna quit before I start World War 3 again...
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I thought I knew all there was to know about TheSuperAmazingBlueBallGame...

..but I was wrong! :v:

Secrets after all these years... truly you were.. super amazing.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Review 34 out of 35:

:kamina: JUMPMAN :kamina:

If my count is right, that leaves one left. What game could it be?!

(And yes, this is the will of the wheel! I didn't cheat, I'm just that good!)
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Last year, my last game was an RMSephy game. He almost made it to that treasured last spot this year, too. Just missed!

Major Raiden, my codename was for that. I wonder what I got this year?

I wonder what I reviewed last this year?!

ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!!

Oh, a PS for Charbile:
This doesn't mean you can stop. >:3
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Awesome job with all of these, Giz.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Giz, awesome job! With these. I feel like there's not much left to say about these but I'll give it another roll cause Can't Stop.

I can't stop please someone for the love of please

Double Pumping

...what's the context here? uh

It's a two player game where you mash a button to see who can raise their green line to the top. To quote Giz slightly out of context: "it's [...] totally pointless." Why only use a quarter of the screen for the pumps? Who wants to pump play with other people, is this a thing people do?

Innuendo aside, this was apparently made for a "Littlest Game Contest". A little review for a little game.

I think the contest deserves a review. Where's the thread? What made anyone think this is something worth doing? Must have been some great prize, right? And not just wanting to make a better 'little' game than the next guy. Contest games are typically meant as a challenge to make, not as something to play. A fun side thing to do. Like reviewing great games. Ever wonder what happens when an engine becomes full of games not meant to be played? What would that even look like.

It'd look like a fun time! Let's play another CANT STOP :v:
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Project Catapillar

It was amusing. I still need to watch the movie, i think? Heard it might be funny bad, but who can you trust? You can trust Giz, that's for sure.

I like how the game takes you through the steps of assembling and using the catapillar. But it's only two steps and amounts to a tutorial. The combat is very one dimensional and takes some creative thinking at first, but once you get the hand of it, it just flows. It's a demo and it seems the two creators had some creative differences on the project.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Entrepreneur: The Beginning

Wrote a review-ish of this one a long time ago. "One of these is not like the other" (it's my belated entry into littlest game contest):

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :hurr: :D :D :D

Could add it's an ambitious game. Like it on paper, give or take some creative choices. The execution needs some thought. Felt like the author hasn't played many games in the shopkeep or time management genre, and it would help to research those. Don't have to redesign the wheel, if you smell what I'm brewing.

*EDIT*

just had an awesome idea on how to expand my littlest game. hard mode:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by charbile on Thu May 29, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

would like to take a break to give a shout-out to my MVP SparElric. I know it's a bit premature, and all kidding aside, Pearl Tear and Return to Airia hit that hard to reach sweet spot, and were very nostalgic to me as an ohr kid at heart (ohr once the official hamster republic grants my darn visa)

for most prolific, would probably have to be RMSephy. Have been wanting to see him tackle a large game for years.

and this year's best director goes to.................
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Anica

This one had enough charm to get me to play through the entire thing. There's one part near the beginning where, if you make the wrong choice, you're locked out, and had to use the f4 tag debug to 'retry', and for that matter had to use the tag list for clues on what exactly to do, and it took me a while to find the entrance to the 'fancy name for hospital' (it's on top of second-from-house map).

Game has style. I think it's the music mixed with them juicy retro graphics, mixed with the abstract thematics of order verse chaos. Playing it felt like finding one of those long forgotten movies that's so bizarre and out there, can't help but get into it. Like Zardos, but not as detailed, eccentric, or high budget.

The climax when you finally enter the forbidden area was a bit underwhelming, and that's pretty much the game. Was ok for what it was. Felt more like a sketch than a finished game, but such are expectations this far into the review contest. Why did everyone else stop? You can't stop.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

The Wobbler wrote:Awesome job with all of these, Giz.
Thanks!
Charbile wrote: Game has style. I think it's the music mixed with them juicy retro graphics, mixed with the abstract thematics of order verse chaos. Playing it felt like finding one of those long forgotten movies that's so bizarre and out there, can't help but get into it. Like Zardos, but not as detailed, eccentric, or high budget.

The climax when you finally enter the forbidden area was a bit underwhelming, and that's pretty much the game. Was ok for what it was. Felt more like a sketch than a finished game, but such are expectations this far into the review contest. Why did everyone else stop? You can't stop.
Style is such an under-appreciated thing. You can get away with almost anything if you've got some style to it, and people should look to Anica as a good example of how to do that. Don't worry about everyone else, though! They'll be back, or maybe they won't. Either way, you finish out. There's a lot to be said for your casual approach. It picks up a lot of simple, subtle stuff that people could learn from.