The 2013 In Review Contest [Reviews: 94]

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Ace of Swords
"The Legend of True Love"

Game has visual style. I like the color choices and art directions. Feels a bit too close to a 'trippin balls' setup. And by that I mean, hey man, you high for making and/or playing this. If you like trippy amateur hour games, this will tide over your munchies.

Game could be made to be more approachable. The foreground treetops are cool, but they hide paths and a lot of the design makes it hard to realize what to do. Where to go. Why to play.

You know, the usual.

I'm sure the author knows exactly how to play this game. It's a pretty good game in that context. I'm sure it hits a lot of what they're aiming for. I'm sure they don't need some reviewer telling them how to make their own game. I, for one, would not be so pretentious. Let's applaud this game as art. So excited.... can't wwait for the next one........
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Did you hear about this new dungeon? The Dungeons of Koh-La'b? There's a prize inside!

Two slimes went for it, BMR and Meowskivich. Did they find the prize? I don't know, the battles weren't my thing so I quit. I liked the fog-o-war scripting. It's a contest game.

contest game contest game contest game contest game

The aristocrats.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

The Absolute
by Eggie

There's a note on the wall:

- Nick has been missing.
- Nick was last seen at a grocery store.
- Nick is psionic. Few people know this.

You're not Nick. Not-Nick is a purple kid living in a yellow-brown world.

- Not-Nick's mom says she won't let Not-Nick leave without protection. Thanks mom!
- Not-Nick has to get a bat with 40 atk from the attic. Thanks mom!
- Sally gives Not-Nick candy bars. The attic is dangerous.

Not-Nick is a purple sprite adventuring in a green attic.

Not-Nick gets the bat and his mom says he'll be safe. She lets him outside of the house. TO BE CONTINUED......

- DUN
- DUn
- Duuuuuuuuun

sign me up can't wait how's that next installment coming along
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Meh 2.0

Post by Gizmog »

:zombie::devil::zombie:

Click on the Devil to read a review! This is not an endorsement of Satanism!
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Lasertag: WTF?

Post by Gizmog »

This constitutes my review of Lazertag:

I don't remember why we made this. Did we think that no one was going to enter the 8-Bit Contest and we'd win by default? Were the other entries this bad? I'm sure there must've been a bet involved, somehow.

Basically, there's some really slimy graphics (sorry!), a barebones of a story and one battle which at least has a basic strategy for winning. That's.. something? I guess. Hawk made the music himself I think and it's kind of atmospheric, especially for a weird 8 bit thing.

I laughed at the ending, the whole thing only takes about a minute to play but I can't advise wasting that minute. It's pointless, it's terrible, and I have no idea why it exists. Contests are a hell of a drug.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I know this is lazy, but here's my review for Entrepeneur. The whole thread was pretty good and is worth a read. Those book clubs were all pretty fun, before we ran out of games. Maybe in the future we could just have a general "I played a game from the gamelist" free for all? Seemed like the weekly bit and the "Nominate a game" bit were the downfalls of the old threads.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

:devil::zombie::devil:

Click the zombie and win a review of Dungeons of Kirby!
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Cat In Box

Post by Gizmog »

FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Since you apparently didn't know... "K'hyurbhi" isn't pronounced "Kirby." It's "kuh-hyur-bee." K'-HYUR-bhi. Three syllables. That second H is the only actual silent letter in there.

It seems like you mention TKL on this forum more often than I do, and I'm the one who made the game... I really can't understand why you're so obsessed with that game.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:Since you apparently didn't know... "K'hyurbhi" isn't pronounced "Kirby." It's "kuh-hyur-bee." K'-HYUR-bhi. Three syllables. That second H is the only actual silent letter in there.

It seems like you mention TKL on this forum more often than I do, and I'm the one who made the game... I really can't understand why you're so obsessed with that game.
And I'm sure Koh-Lah'B isn't pronounced Collab, it's pronounced Co-Lah-Bee. It's still sliming retarded. slime along now.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Baconthulhu is conquered! Can any game end this streak?!

And sorry in advance for bringing up K'Hyurbi Lands in the review. I'm too sleepy to tell, but I think it might've been a slime move. I got no beef with you, brother!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Thank you for the review!

I am glad the value of chalk was apparent to you. I am sure you are not the first person to make good use of it, but I believe you are the first person to mention chalk in your feedback :)
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

This is my review of Ep1cQuest Proem Pack. I don't want to make a real review of it since the game is only version 0.1.0 and clearly super, super, super unfinished but at the same time I feel stupid just posting it here, 'cause the author will never read it. No idea what the right thing to do is.

Basically, this is a demo of a card game. A character talks to you, but never makes a connection. The cards are SUPER tiny, RIDICULOUSLY tiny for the focus of the game, and the interface is super verbose. You use the numbers 1-4 to choose your options which is a little clumsy, and sometimes the interface bleeds through the dialogue or vice versa. There's two kinds of cards: Icon Cards and Action Cards. Icon Cards are how you win the game, each player is trying to draw icon cards that match his Goal Cards. You can only hold 4 icon cards at a time, after which point (I think) you have to try to draw an action card that allows you to discard. There's also double turns and stealing, but the game isn't deep enough to support that much variety. It more or less comes down to dumb luck.

He seems to be good at scripting, but I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. It isn't very fun yet, and it sure isn't complete. Version 0.1.0 really says it all. On top of that, none of the pictures on the download page work, the link (He hosted the game on his own webspace for some reason) to download the game doesn't work (I had to find someone who had downloaded it and bum a copy off them) and his description is a rambling mess. Hopefully he gets it done someday and it's nice.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Stenmele Osmium!

I'm not sure if the "Double post to show people the thread is active!" policy is the best. Makes us look kinda desperate for attention, I think. Would much rather be saving these up for one post, but rules is rules.