The Great 2012 Review Contest [Reviews: 94] [CLOSED]

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Speaking of that, sorry I basically stopped posting reviews, but doing the whole thing has just made me want to work on my game more, so I've been spending time on that instead. I apologize to anyone who was looking forward to another stream / review.

I guess some brief thoughts on the games I played but never posted about:

Legacy - BMR was watching the stream and basically knows how I feel. It's got a lot of cool ideas, but isn't designed so well. From what he mentioned of the next version it completely starts the game over, which is probably a good thing.

Dreg Sector: This just isn't my kind of game so I'm not going to hold that against it, but I really feel it needs better tutorial (Not as in a direct tutorial, but maybe a simpler, shorter stage at the beginning, possibly even skippable, to really illustrate what the player is trying to do and help ease him in to the process instead of starting you off in the dark) As the game is, I doubt very many people played it for very long; it's too alienating and brutal at the beginning to really grab you. Compare it to, say, Demon's Souls. This game starts off with a tutorial meant to kill the player, but it starts out by showing you the basics and letting you face a few weak enemies, then previews what you're going to be up against later and lets you start the real game. SpaceChem is another game with a good opening tutorial for something like this. Heck, if you want an OHR example, take a look at Spellshard. Also, the blues and reds + flashing are very, very distracting and weakened my will to play further. That's all I have to say about this game as-is.

Cool Guy Bob Surlaw: The idea is fun but there's really nothing to it at the moment. See every other review, basically.
Last edited by JSH357 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

JSH357 wrote:Speaking of that, sorry I basically stopped posting reviews, but doing the whole thing has just made me want to work on my game more, so I've been spending time on that instead. I apologize to anyone who was looking forward to another stream / review.
Eyyyyyup.
Last edited by Meowskivich on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

The first month of the contest has passed. Another and then 10 days remain. Is there any man willing to answer Gizmog's challenge, or will the throne go uncontested?
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I got burned out and such. I can't review proper if I don't feel like playin' and my art will diminish in quality (like it had a lot of it >_>) if I don't wanna draw. So I'll take whatever place I'm in now. What is it, third? Fourth?
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

This week we join the guys at the vcr repair shop to look at Dreadful Occupant. What did you think?

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

That was beautiful
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I remember Charbile promising to do a super review for AR-PUH-GUH!. Charbile has yet to do this. Your review, it's what I desire. Give it or Meowskivich will have to drain your bodily fluid to satiate his hunger. And we're sure that won't be fun for anybody. :v:
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Meowskivich wrote: your bodily fluid
You have reached the exact level of specificity at which people will always assume the worst possible interpretation. Congratulations.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

We're like a dysfunctional family, it's great :D Although I'd love to play along with the innuendo, I get Meow's a germ and I know what he wants. I'm not sure if I can deliver.

It is interesting though, cause the more anticipation we build for the review, the greater the hype and interest, but also the less and less it can live up to it. Pretty much like how you sell modern gaming. On a promise and dreams. The review can be anything you want it to be. That is until it's released.

I think a lot of people get caught up in this with making games, putting the idea ahead of a desire to go all the way. That the idea was more fun than the actual game.

On that note, time to use the random game selector... oh, how about that. Next up is Kinvesard.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

It's Schroedinger's cat in Pandora's box! What do you do?
charbile wrote:I think a lot of people get caught up in this with making games, putting the idea ahead of a desire to go all the way. That the idea was more fun than the actual game.
The idea was a lot less work
Last edited by Mogri on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

This week we look into a RPG made with the OHRRPGCE called Kinvesard: Epilogue of the Princess. What did you think of the game?

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

The Meowskivich awaits the next review...
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

This week we look at a game that has had some really great reviews so we get to be lazy. YEAH! What did you think of the game?

Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Loved the review! Also a huge fan of the Nostalgia Critic! Nicely done! <3
"One can never improve enough nor should one stop trying to improve."
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Cat-shaped bread is my favorite OHRRPGCE character! Well, maybe. Not really. I like Whalepunch the best.