The Great 2012 Review Contest [Reviews: 94] [CLOSED]

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

tl;dr: FINISH IT, MOGRI! THE PRESSURE IS AWN!
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

tl;dr: Fan of the OHR community service

and on a side note, next two reviews:

Open Trail

Legendary Heroes
Last edited by Meowskivich on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Oh, uh, a friend of mine is streaming/reviewing games too. He's streaming Super Penguin Chef right now:

I made link instead of player so it doesn't auto-play on those who didn't wanna watch.
Last edited by Meowskivich on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBrutehater
Slime

Post by MrBrutehater »

Er...Hello. I'm that guy, Brute, who Meowskivich linked to playing Super Penguin Chef on here a little bit ago. Well, i reviewed it so...check it out if you wish! ^^

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5817
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Thanks for the review lizord! I laughed a few times! XD

So I might as well post mine too, right?
"One can never improve enough nor should one stop trying to improve."
MrBrutehater
Slime

Post by MrBrutehater »

I'll be streaming another game for the review contest - This time it's the Towers of Love and Energy! (Meowskivich is there again, as well)
MrBrutehater
Slime

Post by MrBrutehater »

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... 572#102572 Thats my review for The Towers Of Love and Energy! :)

Also; Streaming Final Dragon Legacy now! http://www.twitch.tv/mrbrutehater
Last edited by MrBrutehater on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Reviews for: Alice Falls Asleep, Ortega Colonies, Dreadful Occupant & The Death of Von Stabbingmore.

Having hosted the contest these games were made for ( and being one of 2 people that made one of them ) I have already written quite a bit on them. In fact I re-reviewed Dreadful Occupant on this thread already so I won't be talking about that one again here.

Here's the reviews I did for these games in the results for the contest.
http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue60/ ... ollab.html

And here's a quote from my votes during the contest(found here):
Spoonweaver wrote:
So let's start off with Dreadful Occupant.

First, I had a lot of fun making this game with Master K. I've tried many colab projects in the past but I've never actually had so much go right before. Master K's work and ideas really helped me out, and helped the game become the great game it is.
After reading some of the comments about the game, I see now that my music and sound choices were terrible. I take full credit for that. I just sort of searched for some sound effects and music and crammed them in. More time should have been spent on that.
Next, the notion of having more scary things happen gets brought up a lot. I agree with this. With only a week to work, I didn't really think we should try to add too much to the game. The original idea was just to have 1 ghost lady, and so we stuck with that idea.
The other reason we didn't do more, is that we really thought we had this contest locked down tight. Never did I think we'd get such great games in this contest. I'm really glad I held this thing.

Now on to the real voting.

The Death of Von Stabbingmore

This game was charming from beginning to end. But I've often thought that battle puzzles were really clunky and that casual players wouldn't understand or like them. So, I had my girlfriend play this game while I watched. At first she was a bit frustrated, but then she figured out the first trick and was delighted to progress in the story. Truly good games are enjoyed by anyone and everyone. I think this is one of those games.

Alice Falls Asleep

The humor in this game almost put it ahead of Von Stabbingmore, but it's overly simplistic gameplay and brutal difficulty curve held it back. This game made me giggle quite a few times. And as I did with Von Stabbingmore, I asked my girlfriend to play with me. This basically turned into both of us taking turns either jumping or reading the above quotes (which go by a bit too fast in my opinion). In this way we had a fun experience with the game.

Ortega Colonies

My girlfriend didn't like this game much. that only didn't doom it to the last spot. I believe this game was both too complex and too hard. In my play-throughs, I'd find myself running from the fire to the trees to the water and back to the fire again, because by that time I was already getting too cold. I think a little more till you start to starve or freeze would have helped this game a lot. I did enjoy this game though, and in any other contest this game could have been first.

But I suppose I can say some more about these 3 games.

Alice falls Asleep is a rare OHR Arcade styled game.I'm a big fan of these, and a maker of a few. The simple concepts, fast paced gameplay, and instant satisfaction make for a relief from the normal RPG gameplay one normally finds in the OHR. This game is a bit too simple though. It's single button control, and witty dialog really won me over though. I kind of like this game. But there's not that much here to judge.
6/10

The Death of Von Stabbingmore is another short sweet game. This game's length is really the only reason it's not an OHR allstar. ( not that James needs another one under his belt) {or that an OHR allstar is a real thing} The concepts in this game are all rather strong, the humor is top notch, and the art style is amazing. As I said in an above review, however, the concept of a puzzle battle still seems a bit clunky to me, but this game does it the best so far.
7/10

Ortega Colonies this is one of those games that you want to love more than you feel you do. There's a lot of little things in this game that really ruined the experience for me. The difficulty setting seemed a bit too high. That's not to say that a game should be penalized for being too hard. I just felt that the game didn't reward you enough for exploration because if you search around the wrong area too long you've basically lost due to lack of air or warmth or something. The graphics too, are something you don't want to dislike. However, little things like the battle graphics just scream poor quality. I really like the concept, I just feel like this game could use some tweaking.
5/10

[s]Abel[/s]
[s]Alice Falls Asleep[/s]
AR-PUH-GUH!
[s]Cool Guy Bob Surlaw[/s]
Dreg Sector: The Tract
[s]DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons[/s]
Epic! The Humorous RPG
[s]Ephixial[/s]
[s]Final Dragon Legacy[/s]
Flash 48 Hour Contest - The Actor's Daughter
Hamburgerman RPG 1.0
[s]Illusions[/s]
Karate Fight (Ambush 48 Edition)
KARRIBLE.RPG
[s]Legacy[/s]
Look, But Don't Touch
L'Sol Nocturnal Tears No Ingles
Memento Mori (50%)
My Little Gahn
[s]No More Villains[/s]
Open Trail
[s]Ortega Colonies[/s]
[s]Pilgrimage[/s]
Pearl Tear
Reign Of Grelok
Rouge's Revenge
[s]Silhouette[/s]
Spirit Chronicles RIFT
Super Harem Builder 2012
[s]Super Penguin Chef[/s]
[s]The Death of Von Stabbingmore[/s]
[s]The K'hyurbhi Lands[/s]
The Towers of Love and Energy
[s]Universal Wars[/s]

20/38
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

tl;dr: There's not much here I care for. I almost didn't write the review, even.
edit: I notice I forgot to draw in one of the rectangles. Like I said above, I didn't really want to dwell on this too much.

tl;dr: Worth a play!
Last edited by Meowskivich on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBrutehater
Slime

Post by MrBrutehater »

Here's my review of Final Dragon Legacy! http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Second batch

Post by Gizmog »

Didn't think it'd take me this long to get 'em together, but here's my second batch of reviews. Up next on my list is AR PUH GUH, which is a big download and Universal Wars which is also relatively big. I don't want to look any farther ahead than that, so it'll be a bit before my next updates. I'm still trying not to read any reviews tll I've played the game to keep from influencing my opinion, but the reviews I've read for games I have played are great and I'm so glad to see some new guys gettin into the swing of things. Keep it up!

007 - Cool Guy Bob Surlaw
008 - Dreadful Occupant
009 - The Kh'yurbi Lands
010 - Lsol Nocturnal Tears No Ingles
011 - Rouge's Revenge
012 - The Actor's Daughter
013 - Epic! The Humorous RPG
014 - Dungeonmen
015 -The Towers of Love and Energy
016 - Final Dragon Legacy
017 - Illusions
018 - No More Villains
019 - Memento Mori
020 - Alice Falls Asleep
021 - Silhouette

22 and 23, AR PUH GUH and Universal Wars coming whenever.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Next two:
Spirit Chronicles Rift Demo

Momento Mori (thank goodness)
Last edited by Meowskivich on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.